VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone provide me with a sample menu for an infant/toddler with only 2 teeth? (vegan preferred, but vegetarian okay, too)

i have no clue what one of that age could be fed that would satisfy the daily nutrition requirements...

thank you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, what I have is for a 1-3 year old. I expect the 1 year old to eat less then the 3 year old that I designed this for, but it meets the requirements for both ages.

I'll list what the baby will have to eat in a day and then you can make the menu out of it
hehehe

2.5-3 cups "milk" (breast milk, formula..as they get older, milk or fortified soymilk)*

1/4-1/2 cup iron-fortified cereal**

2-5 servings grains (1/2 slice bread, 1/4 cup cooked rice, pasta, quinoa, etc)

2-3 servings veggies (1/2 cup salad or raw veggies, 1/4 cup cooked veggies)***

2-3 servings fruit (1/2 fresh fruit, 1/4 cup cooked fruit, 1/4 cup juice)

2 servings protein foods (1/4 -1/3 cup cooked beans/lentils, a slice or so of calcium-set tofu, a couple Tbsp of TVP or ground round, peanut or almond butter****)

Vit B12 source - nutritional yeast, breast milk, formula, fortified soy milk, eggs, cheese

Vit D - sunlight, breast milk, formula, fortified soy milk, dairy milk

Omega-3 EFA - flaxseed oil, freshly ground flaxseed

I did up menus for my BFs 3 year old last year, to help plan meals for him. This is the structure I used. I found the information on a combination of toddler nutrition sites.

The biggest thing I remember reading is that 1-3 year olds can become anemic very easily, regardless of being omni, vegetarian or vegan.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

*When I did this, I did it for a 3 year old who was no longer on formula or breastfeeding. Twink this to what your lifestyle and baby require. I believe vegan babies are recommended to stay on breast milk or iron-fortitied formula until they are 2, with lacto-ovo babies until they are 1.

**Again, we didn't use the iron fortified kind; I just made my own. But, considering the age of your baby, the iron-fortified commerical cereals would be best.

***Because of her age, I'd stick with mostly cooked vegetables. Mashed sweet potatoes, cooked spinach, peas, corn, carrots are all good chocies and inexpensive)

****Not sure if you have your eating nut butters yet. I can't remember if it's at 1 year or 2 years before you're supposed to introduce it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
You may want to check out the book called "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library and if they dont' have it, they can probably get it from another library for you. This was like my food bible around here when my son was younger!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 10 1/2 month old and for dinner he had kamut pasta, steamed broccoli tops, and some soy cheese.

For lunch he had whole wheat pita bread with hummus cut into tiny squares with grapes cut in half.

For breakfast he had teddy puffs (healthy wheat free cherrio like thing) and babyfood apples and plums (Dad fed him breakfast
)

Other finger foods:

*fresh or frozen mango

*fresh or frozen peaches/nectarines/plums

*cubed avacado

*tofu (put in microwave or steam for 10-30 seconds

*fresh or frozen peas

*pasta slightly overcooked

*cheese cubed- soy, rice, goat, or cow depending on your beliefs

*canned beans- black, garbanzo, black eyed peas, or kidney

*toast cut into little pieces

*thinned nut butters after the age of 1 unless alergies run in family

My son wont eat leafy greens such as collard greens, or spinach unless in pureed form, so I still feed him with a spoon, usually for dinners.

Also, though it isnt a finger food, I feed him soy yogurt. I look for ones with the lowest amount of sweetener and the least amount of addidtives.

I also mix things into his baby food such as ground flax seeds, olive oil, and molassas. Oh and nutritional yeast. This helps him get those hard to get minerals and vitamins.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am glad I happened upon this thread. I am new to this board, but, am veggie and have a son that turns 1 on August 1st and am clueless regarding what he should be eating. I plan to raise him veggie as well, so, thanks again for the suggestions here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts