VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just really need to rant. you don't have to read it but it helps me to let it out.

so here i go.

i'm depressed at the moment because a. i have no freinds in my age group, and the 2 freinds i do have are an 11 year old and her mom, don't get me wrong they are great freinds but i want freinds my age.

B. it is satuday and i have nothing to do, i never do anything on the weekends. usually i spent it with my family wathcing movies they froce me to watch.

C. there is never anything to snack on in my house, which is really annoying.

D. my family just can't understand how it feels to be a 15 year old girl in modern times with no freinds or social life.

E. basicly i am completly isolated from the world, except for the internet and the rare visit with my one 11 year old freind.

life is not fun at the moment

so
and
to my life.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Is there a reason why you don't have friends from school?

Sorry you feel like your life is not fun right now. That must be awful. (hugs)

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Hi 115 year old, yes by the time you come of age, maybe the worlds people will live to as much as that

Anyway, hi......

I sympathize with your situation, my life is like this the whole time.

I'm twice your age, so I'm sorry I'm not in your age group, but to the tell you the apsolute truth, seeing your thread pretty well cheers me up, that is in seeing there's someone being honest about themselves and their life....

Your word sucktacularness, really stokes up the fire too! I love it...

And its a hellfire thing to say but although life might not be guaranteed to get better (obviously take me for example) there IS always something you can do no matter how bad your situation. I know all about isolation and my neybors suck, I have no friends that I visibly or personably see, other than one or two friends I might be going to Paris to meet soon, but that will be (all intentions riding on it) my first time away from home long distance since 2004 I think, so life really sucks being stuck in a trap or in a situation. I have conditions about me that prevent me though mentally overcoming some things, but whatever, you still have to have hope, no matter how many years it takes to get a life and to make something of yourself, to allow growth in you etc

I will come back in a bit to say something more positive about life.... Right now though (late at night) all I can say off the top of my head is you should get BIG TIME into FITNESS and COMMIT to it, and you will never look back and always have something to be proud of in preparedness for life to avert the onset of boredom and sucktacularness that life brings when no-one seems to care!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Hmm. Is there a way you could go to other activities, like dance classes, yoga, sports, art classes, anything that's not school that your parents would let you do?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Another idea for social activities would be a youth group. Even if you're not a follower of Christ, there are many church youth groups that provide a wonderful way to hang out with other teens instead of yet another trip to the mall.

Late movie nights, canoe trips, sleepovers, concerts, weekend retreats, friendships, weekly get-togethers with other teens, spiritual experiences and challenges, and more!

and IIRC from my teen youth groups I think maybe 20% + weren't Christian...

Also there could be a local vegetarian group you might be able to attend, it's worth checking into at least.

I hope things improve! The only thing that got me through long periods of loneliness was talking with God. I'll pray for you!

Smile!

Tomorrows another day!

Maybe dance with the sunshine and sing with the birds! A walk on a spring day seems to always sooth the mind and warm the soul.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Troub has some good ideas. Several members of my kids' church-based youth choir are from home-school situations - and not Christian.

They have to agree to follow the rules/ uphold the standards of the group while there, but they don't have to actually be Christian. They seem to get a lot out of it and have been with the choir group for several years.

I don't have any other suggestions, sorry.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Are there any homeschool co-ops in your area?

we have a large homeschool co-op that regularly has activities for teens........there are also homeschool days at places like roller rinks, ice rinks, etc.

what are your interests? are there any classes, clubs, sports etc you may want to do in your area?

there are sooooo many options as a homeschooler for you to meet others there is no reason to be isolated.

( we homeschool too but my kids are young)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I agree that you should join some local groups. I had a homeschooled friend who was in about ten different groups for socialization purposes. She had more close friends than I did!

Some teen groups in my area: Girl Scouts, teen library advisors (they plan youth events at the libraries and help choose books for the young adult section, I think), any extra-curricular sport (during different points in my life, I was in gymnastics, figure skating, and bowling), 4-H/Junior Fair Board (I understand you might be ethically opposed to those), teen newspaper page staff, church youth groups, fashion advisory board (I'm not sure what they do--something to do with clothes and the mall)... There are a lot more, but my mind's going blank. I was also involved in some groups that weren't necessarily teen-related, but where I could meet other people my age, such as Relay for Life. There are really plenty of opportunities out there to make friends. It can be scary to start an activity where you don't know anyone at first, but it's worthwhile in the end. Also, you might want to consider volunteering or getting a job.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i don't think there are very many culb things that i would like around here. and my mom would probably don't want to drive me anywhere. and my dad won't let me get my drivers license so i can't drive. and we don't have the money form me to take the local yogs classes, and the only dance classes are like half an hour away and my mom won't dirve me.

and my sister went there and she said it wasn't fun.

wow i just used the word "and" alot.

and i'm pretty sure there aen't any veggie groups around here.

and i doubt my parents would let me go to one anyway, because i might meet a boy, heaven forbid.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Are you homeschooled by your own choice or is it your parents choice? If it's your choice, you may want to consider enrolling in school. If it is your parents' choice, you may want to have a discussion with them about getting you enrolled in school or in extra curricular activities.

Also, just because your sister doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. I loved a bunch of different classes when I was younger and my sister hated them all.

You could also do some volunteer work in the community to meet people and get out sometimes. I don't know if you're thinking ahead to college at all, but with absolutely no extracurricular activities, you are going to have a difficult time getting in anywhere, and you may want to discuss that with them if they won't help you to get outside experiences.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Sounds like your parents are pretty strict, in terms of what they let you choose (I got that from your "OMGZ she might meet a BOY!!" type reference).

Youth group might be your best bet, as troub & karen have mentioned. Classes like yoga and aerobics are fine, but they're not really "social". But alas, there will be boys at a youth group.

The library here hosts "teen hours" where there are chaperones there and the kids just hang out and talk and play on the computer and read books and socialize. It's a safe setting. But, there will be boys there.

Is that a huge issue?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Are you homeschooled by your own choice or is it your parents choice? If it's your choice, you may want to consider enrolling in school. If it is your parents' choice, you may want to have a discussion with them about getting you enrolled in school or in extra curricular activities.

Also, just because your sister doesn't enjoy something doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. I loved a bunch of different classes when I was younger and my sister hated them all.

You could also do some volunteer work in the community to meet people and get out sometimes. I don't know if you're thinking ahead to college at all, but with absolutely no extracurricular activities, you are going to have a difficult time getting in anywhere, and you may want to discuss that with them if they won't help you to get outside experiences.
I agree with this. You wouldn't want to frame it this way to your parents, but if they are choosing that you be home schooled, a big part of school is socialization and if they aren't giving you opportunities to socialize, they are depriving you of a basic need. It's very important that you be able to spend time with your peers. I agree with RC's point that if you are going to go to college, you need to show you were socialized, able to work as part of a team, work well with others, etc. So any thing to put on a college ap like volunteering, some community project, church groups, classes at the library or even just a part-time job are essential. I don't know the laws where you live, but since your parents pay taxes, I think you might be able to participate in extracurriculars of your local school district.

Do you have a bike, could you bike to these things? Once you make friends you could bum rides off of them or their parents in exchange for gas money. (or eventually other kids parent's might pressure your parents to give their kid a ride once in a while.)

It's really unhealthy to be so isolated. It could lead to depression.

Please talk with the folks about this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know you're looking for real life friends, but you DO have friends right here on veggieboards. I think most everyone here is pretty understanding of your situation. I can relate, believe me.

One of the things that is taught in yoga is to stay positive and postive things will happen.
It may take awhile, but you've put that desire out there, and like a boomerang, it will come back. You also have to be proactive too. You could go to meetup.com and see if there are any interests you have there, become friends with some of those great folks and maybe become involved. In time you could trust someone to maybe pick you up and take you too a meeting, or maybe they would be close enough to walk to.

I can't add much more to what has already been said because these are very smart people and they've given awesome advice. Hang in there, life WILL get good for you. Nothing stays bad.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hello =D Im 15 too, and yeah I can definetly relate to your situation. Im not homeschooled, but I have switched schools many times because of moving, and had to make new friends when everybody else already had a "group" to be with. Difficult times!

I dont really understand your parents..Out from the info you have provided. They want you to feel better, dont they want you to have friends? Most of my best friends are guys, they aren't as judgemental as many girls in my experience. Seems like you have pretty strict parents.

Anyway, you can always do something to make yourself happyer. In the weekends you could get out and do stuff, exercise, getting out on your own will make you feel better I think. It must be tiresome to be at home with your parents at weekdays and weekends.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMO17 View Post

well i don't think there are very many culb things that i would like around here. and my mom would probably don't want to drive me anywhere. and my dad won't let me get my drivers license so i can't drive. and we don't have the money form me to take the local yogs classes, and the only dance classes are like half an hour away and my mom won't dirve me.

and my sister went there and she said it wasn't fun.

wow i just used the word "and" alot.

and i'm pretty sure there aen't any veggie groups around here.

and i doubt my parents would let me go to one anyway, because i might meet a boy, heaven forbid.
Maybe you need to start doing some negotiating/compromising. Is there anything around the house that you're hesitant to do, or all out don't do that you could do in exchange for rides? For example, you could be in charge of cleaning the bathroom one day a week, or something else that you don't normally do, in exchange.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Maybe you need to start doing some negotiating/compromising. Is there anything around the house that you're hesitant to do, or all out don't do that you could do in exchange for rides? For example, you could be in charge of cleaning the bathroom one day a week, or something else that you don't normally do, in exchange.
not a bad idea, all have to think about that.

and i've been thinking about if i want to go to public school and i jsut don't know if i'd like it, and i really have to crack down on the math cause i'm so bad at it.

and alot of the time i can get rides with my one freind's mom and her, so really i have to convince her to take somekind of class with me so i can get a ride there and back.

thanks for all the great ideas

you guys are great and so nice

thanks again. i feel better after talking about it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i am researching(sp?) clubs around here right now. lets hope i find something worth doing.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
This sounds a lot like my experience from my teen years. I went to a public school, but I came from a strict and rather antisocial household, and I was much too shy and socially-inexperienced to form any strong, lasting friendships. My situation preyed on my mind and I always felt sad when I'd see groups of people my age shopping at the mall (as I shopped with my mom). But I didn't know what to do. It has continued to affect me, as many people my age have longterm friends they made while in school, but I do not.

There are some things you can't change. You won't necessarily change your parents' strict attitudes, even if you display to them how responsible and trustwothy you are. Many people simply won't change.

However, I agree with the others about checking with clubs in your community. Our library has a comic club for teens (many of the teens who attend aren't necessarily into comics, it's a social thing) and a young adult book club. So you might want to check with local libraries and theaters if they have any clubs or internships for young people. Also, you could also call gyms and fitness centers, quite a few have aerobics/tae-bo/spinning/etc. classes for younger people.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts