VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Oh man that is seriously ****ed up and this is the first that I've heard about the show. I can't say that I'm totally surprised though.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I thought stuff like that was illegal.
It is illegal on most public land and on private when done without the owner's permission, or when federal funds are involved. In all of the state of California and under some other local laws nationwide it is only legal if certain environmental studies are performed and the action is approved. What the show is doing, however, violates the rules of conduct for almost every professional and credentialing archaeologist organization in the US (and elsewhere).

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Regretfully I've seen many a sloppy Section 106 job performed but at least the primary aim was to recover data of some sort.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Well, your name is quite appropriate for this thread nonetheless.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
That is beyond awful. We just picnicked yesterday near these ancient Tocobago American Indian ceremomial mounds, and apparently there were tons of these mounds, some as old as *6000 years*, and they were bulldozed, and the shells used to create them used to PAVE THE STREETS of the sleepy town.
(The tribe was wiped out by the Europeans bearing infections and looking for the fountain of youth in the natural springs near the Tocobago tribe.) A couple of the ancient mounds still exist intact at a beautiful state park. It is unbelievable what people have done throughout history to destroy history! (OK, This does sound sort of off-topic, but I was sitting here obsessing about the destruction and then I see this thread.)

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_Harbor,_Florida
Early history

The area has been inhabited since the Stone Age. In June 2008, a 6,000 year old spearhead was found at Marshall Street Park.[4] The inhabitants of the area at the time of Spanish exploration were the Tocobaga Indians, who lived in villages around Tampa Bay. They were known for constructing various ceremonial and communal mounds, one of which is still visible in Safety Harbor's Phillippe Park (see photo). In 1528 Spanish explorer Panfilo de Narvaez landed in the area followed by Hernando De Soto in 1539.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Let me get this straight; they destroy entire ecosystems just for a chance to find a artifact?

Just...wow.

That is just awful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts