VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my ceramics room the other day working, and met another Vegan. It was a very cool experience seeing as we're pretty identical in everything actually.<br><br><br><br>
She and I were talking about how at the local Community College we're lucky if they make us a fruit cup, or a hummos wrap. ( which are always disgusting. ) In our cafeteria there's vending machines, a pizza hut, a blimpies, a salad bar ( which gets old real fast with just italian dressing ) and a grill. The grill has a boca burger, but it's a small grill so obviously the meat is on there. The other item is a hot food bar which has things like meat all the time and very rarely a vegetarian thing. Never a vegan item.<br><br><br><br>
As for what we're thinking of doing is starting a united vegetarian thing on campus and trying to get better quality food and what not. How many of you have attempted this? What made them listen?<br><br><br><br>
Has anyone actually been succesful in doing this? I heard about the Sysco Moonrose program and I think it'd be an interesting start.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Actually at my friend's college there were enough people requesting more veggie/vegan food that when they remolded all the food courts, there are many at my friends university, they actually added places that were all veggie and even vegan options. So I think if there's enough request a school will have to comply because it's something else they can gain income from<br><br><br><br>
Choi

·
Banned
261 Posts
I think that maybe you should try and find more veg*ns at your school before starting, even though just the two of you may be able to make an impact. Try posting fliers on billboards or doors or other places you may be allowed to around campus, saying if there are more veg*ns on campus, that they should ocntact you so you all can discuss the food at your school, or whatever. The more people pushing for it, the better the chances of making a change.<br><br>
I've never really tried anything liek that, I'm stil lin high school, and although I have complained and written letters to my school several times about the lack of vegan or even healthy food(there has not ben one vegan option at my school and not one vegan thing available in the bookstore or vending machines at my school, let's not even get into healthy foods...), they have never done a thing. I really don't think there are any other vegetarians, let alone vegans, in my school, besdies a girl I know of who's a frehsman or sophmore and is really just an uninformed, "beginner" veggie. If there were mire vegetarians I knew of in my school who also wished that my school would change what they serve, or make vegetarian meals a more available option, then I think they would make a difference.<br><br>
I don't really have any moe ideas to that, so...good luck for you. I hope you succeed.<br><br><br><br>
Cassie

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Some students at my old college circulated a petition about vegetarian/vegan food in the cafeterias and received a lot of signatures. They were then able to present this to the administration to show that there was a big interest in improving the vegetarian offerings. They set up a table in the union and at the entrance to the cafeteria and it seemed to be pretty successful.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
There are quite a few vegetarians at my school, but as far as I can see, very few vegans unless they live off campus.<br><br><br><br>
My school's meal hall is nicely vegetarianized. They cook everything on seperate grills with seperate utensils and put it in seperate containers. Rarely do they ever make anything vegan (occasionally vegan sloppy joes, but that's about it). So I have no choice but to be lacto-ovo until I graduate or move off campus.<br><br><br><br>
I'm sure you could make a sizable difference if you advertised a meeting for veg*ns (put up flyers, ask the administration if you can put out emails) and brought up this issue, assuming there are enough people. Usually there are more than people think.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Some people from the cafeteria at my college were doing a survey on what people liked, didn't like, and wanted more of. At the time that I took it, the person in charge told me that I was the first one to put on the survey that I wanted more vegetarian and vegan options. I hope I was one of the first ones to take the survey, but knowing my school, vegetarians are very rare. I can think of three other people there who have ever been vegetarians.

·
Registered
0 Posts
like skylark, there was a survey conducted regarding the food service at the university. Well, I took the time to do the survey, then I wrote a HUGE response to the comments section... I think it was two pages handwritten. I explained what the difference between vegetarian and vegan is and what kinds of foods would be good staples for veg*n diets in general. And also I attempted to de-mystify things like tempeh, and other stuff. On top of the survey, I've also added comment cards: praising the new foods and requesting some more. My school isn't very big (maybe 8,000) and there is the typical vegan minority, but I think we're a significant minority, in that several of us work on campus as well as attend classes... that means we need more meals provided. They want our money... we want good lunches and dinners.<br><br><br><br>
Last semester we had TONS of vegan food (cookies, yogurts, milk alternatives, soy delicious ice creams, etc, etc)... This semester we only have sandwich fixins (tofurkey, foney baloney-- of which I don't know the vegan status) but none of the yummy treats. I asked about this today, and the nice lady making my sandwich told me that they had stopped buying them because they couldn't get them through their regular distributor, which happened to by Sysco. I told her about the MoonRose product line, and she's going to look into it.<br><br><br><br>
It just takes networking, and letting them know time and time again exactly what you want. Saying "I want more vegan or vegetarian food offerings" is fine, if they know what you mean by those terms. Good luck!<br><br><br><br>
(sorry this was so long winded)<br><br>
Joelle.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
our dining hall has quite a few vegetarian meals (and there are ALWAYS vegetarian choices for dinner.. they make pretty good stuff too, unless my standards have lowered). most of it tends to be vegan too which is great. i've never met any vegans at my school though, which is kind of weird, but there are a lot of vegetarians.<br><br><br><br>
i'll be going to grad school at another university that has a "vegan" dining hall too even, i can't wait. well maybe it's just a dining hall that always has vegan alternatives, but that's good enough for me.<br><br><br><br>
anyway, sorry i can't help ya with this but good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts