VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a website that talk about a must- have vegetarian pantry. I had notice that they talk about cooking wine and other alochol ingredients. I was wondering if they are important to cooking vegetarian? The reason why I am asking is because I cannot have any alochol whatsoever because of every day meds.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollragdollragdol View Post

I was reading a website that talk about a must- have vegetarian pantry. I had notice that they talk about cooking wine and other alochol ingredients. I was wondering if they are important to cooking vegetarian? The reason why I am asking is because I cannot have any alochol whatsoever because of every day meds.
No, they are not very important. I have only used wine in cooking on the few occasions that I've made risotto. That's it. None of my regular vegetarian meals require it.

That said, I think when you cook with wine, most of the alcohol burns off. I'm not sure if it would be a problem with your meds.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

That said, I think when you cook with wine, most of the alcohol burns off. I'm not sure if it would be a problem with your meds.
This is so.

It is the reason why a spoonfull of rissotto is no adequate replacement for a sip of meths.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The wine does burn off during cooking but if it's a concern for you I'd ask your pharmacist about it before cooking with wine.

I occasionally cook with wine but it's definitely not a necessary pantry staple.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It's a necessary staple in my kitchen... A splash in the sauce/gravy, and a glass for the chef xD

Seriously, though, the alcohol burns off. It's why you're allowed to sell red wine sauce to kids. It shouldn't affect your meds; just ask your doctor. And it's not really a necessary ingredient, either - vegetarian cooking or not. I just enjoy the flavour it adds to certain dishes, which is why I use it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not all the alcohol cooks off during cooking, so I would be careful about cooking with alcohol and consult your doctor first. This website: http://homecooking.about.com/library...lalcohol12.htm has some genereal guidelines but I don't know how reliable they are.

I use alcohol all the time when cooking, it's a good way to add depth of flavour, however it's no more nessersairy than meat, or tomatos, or onion, or anything else! Cooking and food are very felxible and usually it's very easy to find a big variety of delicious foods for many dietry restrictions. Also you can always substitute it for something else.

In my experience, different cultures use alcohol different amounts. I rarely see it in american cookbooks, or indian, but often in french, british or japapense cooking. But even when I say "often" I mean quite a few of the recipes, no where near all of them. If you make your own recipes, instead of alcohol for depth of flavour, try other rich flavours such as marmite (great in british food), balsamic vinegar (great in itallian food) or vegetarian worstershire sauce, etc. In puddings, like christmas pudding, or trifle, try orange juice or another fruit juice and maybe some spices.

ETA: It isn't what you asked, but not all alcohol is vegetarian/vegan as well, so if you did use it and cook off some of the alcohol that's worth baring in mind too.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have never added alcohol to any of my cooking. well ive tiped kahlua or amaretto in desserts.... on the rare occasion it says to use wine i leave it out. i dont like wine to drink, so dont see the point in researching/buying it for a recipe.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Not all the alcohol cooks off during cooking, so I would be careful about cooking with alcohol and consult your doctor first.
Thank you
Beat me to it.

Alcohol does not "burn off" during cooking; that's an urban legend. You would have to cook something for a very long time to get all of the alcohol to evaporate out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Seriously, though, the alcohol burns off. It's why you're allowed to sell red wine sauce to kids.
Alcohol in foods, as in beverages like kombucha (most brands), is usually in a low enough concentration that it can legally be sold to minors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cooking with wine the best i normally drink a good red while chopping away who said it must go in the pan.............and then burn away........

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You don't need it. I never use alcohol in my cooking. I used to use some sherry now and then, but my daughter now has a "straight edge" philosophy and won't eat anything cooked with alcohol, so I never use it.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
It takes a long cooking time at high temp to fully cook off alcohol. USDA has info on it.

I use nonalcoholic wines and beers in cooking if I want to avoid alcohol. It's not bad in cooking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.