VeggieBoards banner

A question about water

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  tearhsong2 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if 'filtered water' is filtered through animal bone char like sugar is?

I ate a vegan cheeseless pizza for dinner tonight and it had filtered water in it and my stomach has been twisting with guilt ever since (I've avoided buying anything with filtered water in it for a while), so when I bought the pizza I told myself I'd call the place and ask about it - but I never got around to.

Anyways... anybody know about what it's filtered through?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know for sure. I checked Brita (who makes filters for home use) and this is what their site says...

What ingredients are found in a BRITA Pitcher Filter?

The BRITA Pitcher Filter contains activated carbon and an ion-exchange resin. All of the ingredients in the filter have been approved by NSF International.

As you may know, activated carbon is widely used in the food and medical industry. Its function in BRITA Filters is to reduce the following: chlorine (taste and odor), sediment, benzene, tetrachloroethylene, and toulene. The activated carbon utilized is made from coconut shells that have been subjected to a special heating process that produces a large surface area capable of maximum adsorption. The carbon used in BRITA filters is accepted as food grade quality by the FDA.

The ion-exchange resin acts like a magnet and eliminates 98% of lead while reducing the following: mercury, copper, cadmium, and zinc.

#3 ·
Another brand, PUR, says basically the same thing...

Q. What are the pitcher filters made of? (pitchers)

A. The standard pitcher replacement filter is made of ion exchange resin and granular activated carbon. The Ultimate Pitcher replacement filter contains ion exchange resin and granular activated carbon enclosed within a pleated microfilter. The microfilter allows for the removal of microbiological cysts such as cryptosporidium and giardia. The filter contains an antimicrobial agent to prolong the life of the filter. The contaminants or other substances removed or reduced by this unit are not necessarily in all users' water.

Q. What are the filters made of? (faucet mount)

A. The faucet mount, countertop, and undersink cartridges are made of carbon and an active agent to remove lead. The carbon and active agent are bound in a block form.

#8 ·
I'm am curious why this frozen pizza stands out bc it is advertised as being filtered water. City water is filtered to some degree, and many other brands may use filtered water and not advertise it, and almost everything processed was made with water at some point.

I can understand buying a home filter without bones, but to me, scrutinizing water turns into a can of worms rather quickly.

And from what I have read, not all filters are the same, and that many municipal water systems do use bone char. If you do a search on "bone charcoal" and water filtration, you find all kinds of companies that sell it for that purpose, so its being used by someone.

#9 ·
I think they put on "filtered water" to show their water is pure.

"normal" tap water can contain al kinds of strange stuff (in minimal amounts).

Lot's of places have chlorine in the water to prevent bacteria from spreading and it contains copper from the pipes or high amounts of calcium which can affect the taste of water.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

I think veganism leads to paranoia that people shouldn't have to deal with.
Yeah ~ NO sh*t!!!..

Its sad but that is what modern times have faced us with due to the complex nature of things caused by man-made inscrutabilities and mans messing with nature, so on & so forth making things ever-more complicated (un-necessarily) and hard to decipher etc/etc, more than they should ever need be, so the way things

are, we have to find ways to get round these dilemmas to over-come them one way or the other to stay ahead of the pitfalls and

preferably get clear of paranoia gliches altogether to make things more managable for vegans~ such as a "getting on back to basics" way of things.

#13 ·
i wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you're concerned call or email the company and ask. but you already bought and ate it so there's no point to feeling guilty, you can't change it now. if you're really opposed to using water filtered with bone char and the company says they do use it, just don't buy it again, but don't beat yourself up over the one you already ate

but yeah most water is filtered in some way or another so i think there's a point where you sort of have to draw the line and just accept, otherwise things may get really complicated. what if your city's water is filtered with bone char? you can't exactly stop using it, though you could talk to a representative to ask them to stop using it or start a petition or something. either way it's a lot to worry yourself over

#14 ·
So many things have something animal-derived associated with it. Computers, tires, rubber, some non-leather shoes, sugar, vegetables, grains, legumes, and fruit are a few (yes the food you eat is grown using fertilizers and/or pesticides which are animal-derived--note, even organics use fish emulsions and/or manure). It's impossible to be 100% vegan. Just do what you can. You can't control what's in filtered water, unless it's your own home filter, just like if you own a car (or ride with someone else or use public transportation), you can't get around having tires that don't have some form of animal-derived ingredients in them.

Don't drive yourself crazy about things you can't control, in other words. You're doing everything you can to relieve animal suffering and that's what counts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.