VeggieBoards banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The <a href="http://www.worldveganday.org/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=192" target="_blank">UK Vegan Society</a> is looking for help in testing a new potentially reliable vegan B12 source.<br><br><br><br>
Of especial interest, the Society would love to hear from Raw fooders who live in the London Area or Vegans who haven't consciously supplemented B12 in their diets for preferably 5 years.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
"The Vegan Society needs your help to test a possible plant source of true vitamin B12. Many plant foods have been claimed to contain vitamin B12 but all those with promising quantities have been found to contain high proportions of analogue B12 that cannot be utilised and indeed block receptors for real B12. We think we may have found a solution but we need your help to prove it...<br><br><br><br><br><br>
There is evidence that one naturally occurring raw food source may contain usable amounts of vitamin B12 and The Vegan Society wants to determine whether this is the case.<br><br><br><br>
A recent German study suggested that 96% of vegans have low levels of B12; low levels are not conducive to good health. We hope that things are better in the UK where The Vegan Society has always recommended eating fortified foods - like certain yeast extracts or taking a supplement.<br><br><br><br>
If you are interested in helping with our study please contact Tony Weston - <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> Tel +44 (0) 1424 427393<br><br><br><br>
Or send a self addressed C5 envelope to:<br><br><br><br>
Vitamin B12 Study<br><br>
The Vegan Society<br><br>
Donald Watson House<br><br>
7 Battle Road<br><br>
St Leonards On Sea<br><br>
East Sussex<br><br>
United Kingdom<br><br>
TN37 7AA<br><br><br><br>
ETA I "know" a couple of people who participated in the german test and these people where sloppy on their B12 intake. "just a pill now and then"

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think I have this study at home.<br><br>
Here are three more studies:<br><br>
Hermann et al: Total Homocsteine, Vitamin B12 and Total Antioxidant Status in Vegetarians, in: Clinical Chemistra 2001;47:1094-1101<br><br>
Krajcovicova-Kudlackova et al: Homocysteine Levels in Vegetarians versus Omnivores , in: Ann Nutr Metab 2000;44:135-138<br><br>
Refsum et al: Hyperhomocysteinemia and elevated methylmalonic acid indicate a high prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in Asian Indians , in: Am J Clin Nutr 2001;74:233-41.<br><br>
I´ll come up with the German study as soon as I can lay hands on it.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
"There is evidence that one naturally occurring raw food source may contain usable amounts of vitamin B12"<br><br><br><br>
Charming. They say this, then they neglect to say what that raw food source is.<br><br><br><br>
According to what I understand, vitamin b12 is manufactured by micro-organisms only. No animals can make it; no plants can make it. Plants do not take it up from the soil. If there was a plant source, they should have told us. Why are they witholding information?<br><br><br><br>
Micro-organisms are no longer considered plants. At one time the green ones that didn't move were considered to be plants. Today they are considered thus no longer. Plants have one phylum, single-cell micro-organisms another.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
They are probably neglecting to say what for a certain reason - If they say "oh, you get your B12 from eating "vegetable X" then people will suddenly say "hey, you can get B12 from vegetable X, and then there'll be a frenzy, and if the vegan society is wrong, then they'll have just created a potentially hazardous rumour.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Yeah, maybe they are doing it for control purposes. One group gets extra carrots, the other celery and nobody but the primary investigator know which one is which.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Loki saying that some plant item contains b12, and saying that there is unconfirmed evidence that some plant item might contain b12, are 2 different things. Almost everyone should be able to understand the difference.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The German Vegetarian Association (Vegetarier-Bund Deutschlands e.V.) published an article by Prof Dr W Hermann in its´ bimonthly natürlich vegetarisch [naturally vegetarian] No. 6/2002. According to this study 73% of the vegetarians and 90% of the vegans had a level of active B12 below normal. There was also an elevation of methymalonic acid and homocysteine, which are indicative of B12 deficiency. Homocysteine is associated with some diseases like coronary heart disease, stroke, mamma- and colorectal cancers etc. All in all I think this study exhibits alarming results. Prof Hermann can be reached by e-mail: <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> .<br><br>
I try to include a picture: L/LO-Vegetarier are lacto-/lacto-ovo-vegetarians, Häufigkeit pathologischer Werte is frequency of pathologic results; the rest is self-explanatory.<br><br>
I recently read an article in a medical paper Vegetarians live healthy, where I stumbled over the following line: moderate vegetarianism with occasional meals of meat or fish had the most favourable effect on mortality arrgh! They linked these findings to an elevation of homocysteine levels in vegans. Leaving the pesco-pollo-agno-... issue aside it calls for substituion or fortification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts