VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many stories about the obstacles of following a plant based diet as a Muslim with interest. Naturally I am sure many more Muslims must have had the same difficulties of acceptance and social restrictions for following a plant based diet, as indeed I have had this problem. Meat eating has become such a big part of the identity as Muslims that nowadays Muslims are starting to think it was a 'necessity' to eat meat to be a Muslim.

Nowhere in the Quran does it say that we must eat meat, nor that we have to slaughter a goat on Eid, and that is a very important fact. Meat eating is not a pillar of Islam. I would like to share my experience of my trials and tribulations from being a Vegetarian (and recently, turned Vegan) as a Muslim. When I was young, we didn't eat meat everyday but it was quite a big thing in our family.

I have the advantage of the fact that I was not the first vegetarian in the family. My sister was doing a degree in Osteopathy and Naturopathy and in time gave up eating meat when she saw how similar animals flesh and blood was to humans. This was about 6 years ago. When she stopped my father would question her and argue with her to start eating meat, and my relatives would say that it was my fathers fault for not having meat everyday like they do. It wasn't as big an issue for her. Then I became a vegetarian as well. I was partly influenced by her but actually I had been hearing and reading about it and the idea seemed so powerful and I wanted to do this sacrifice for the animals, for nature, for God. When I became vegetarian it shook my family. The news spread like wildfire around our relatives.

They thought we were going crazy. My father didn't take it nicely as he said I am a man and must eat meat. He also said that we had our ways which were old and handed down from generations and I shouldn't change that as it was culturally and religeously wrong. My argument to him was that because I was a good Muslim, I was stopping the consumption of animal flesh and products.

We went through some bad times when we would be sitting at the table and my father would put meat on my plate. I would continue eating leaving the meat alone though. Also when we were eating at someone's house he would feel ashamed of me declining the meat and would persuade me to have it.

Anyway it culminated in a time when I tried to eat meat as I saw how this was getting very disturbing for him. I told myself that I would not stop meat, only have it sparingly. So I went on my own to a fast food place and ordered chicken to try and get used to it after 1 year so that I could have it in front of people sometimes. When I bit into it I tasted only blood. I couldn't taste anything but raw blood for some reason and nearly vomitted. Then I realized that after now being fully conscious of animals lives and ability to suffer my body would never accept the flesh of any creature to be eaten ever again. I vowed never to have meat again in my life no matter what happens.

I then went home and spoke to my father sincerely and told him why I was vegetarian and that I will not change now. That was 4 years ago. Today my relatives are used to me being a vegetarian. I sit with my father sometimes and discuss with him about the concept of veganism. He has since restricted his meat intake but says he still thinks its wrong to stop. But I feel he is actually happy with us in a way for confronting all the opposition and rumours and not retreating. This is my advice for anyone in regard to this issue; The more confident and direct you are about your decision the more it will be accepted. If you try and keep the matter down and try and blend in and avoid conflict and discussions on the matter, it will always remain and not go. What you need to do is know the whole detail about what you are doing and be able to reason and explain your decision.

Don't be afraid of telling people straight away and directly that you are a vegetarian, and also the reason for it. Don't be afraid of getting into a heated discussion or debate. Remember that one day even you ate meat. And it wasn't because you wanted to kill or enjoyed killing animals. It was because you weren't fully conscious of your decision and didn't make the connection of death of a creature with the lump of flesh on your plate.

So our job is to inform people about this however daunting it may seem. Today I am a Vegan and for some reason my veganism has spurred me into a study of Islam to a deeper depth. Whereas previously I hardly spent anytime reading the Quran, I do so now more frequently. I feel more at peace and in tune with nature. At every meal I remember my role as preserver and of the act of compassion. My relatives have begun preparing vegan food whenever I come to their house and they do it happily. I talk to them freely about the Vegan issues and they have seen that someone can be a vegan and be a good Muslim just like everyone else. I wish the best for all of you.

Jazakallahu Khayran

Meat is not a necessity in Shari'ah, and in the old days most Muslims used to eat meat, if they were wealthy, like middle classonce a week on Friday. If they were pooron the Eids."

"So traditionally Muslims were semi-vegetarians. The Prophet was, I mean, technically, the Prophet (SAWS) was in that category. He was not a meat-eater. Most of his meals did not have meat in them. And the proof of that is clearly in the Muwattawhen Sayyidina Umar says, 'Beware of meat, because it has an addiction like the addiction of wine.' And the other hadith in the Muwattathere is a chapter

called 'Bab al-Laham,' the chapter of laham, the chapter of meat.

Both are from Sayyidina Umar. And Umar, during his khilafa, prohibited people from eating meat two days in a row. He only allowed them to eat [it] every other day. And the khalifa has that right to

do that. He did not let people eat meat every day he saw one man eating meat every day, and he said to him, 'Every time you get hungry you go out and buy meat? Right? In other words, every time your nafs

wants meat, you go out and buy it?' He said, 'Yeah, Amir al-Mumineen, ana qaram,' which in Arabic, 'qaram' means 'I love meat'he's a

carnivore, he loves meat. And Sayyidina Umar said, 'It would be better for you to roll up your tummy a little bit so that other people can eat.'"

"Now Umar, if there was a prophet after the Prophet, it would have been Umar. And that is really verging on prophecy, that statement.

Because if you study the modern meat industry, you will find out that a lot of the famine in the world is a direct result of the overconsumption of meat in countries like the United States and Canada and Europe, because the amount of grain needed to produce 1 pound of meat, right, is much greater than the amount you need to produce grain itself. And beef in particularI really recommend Rifkin's book Beyond Beef.

http://snipurl.com/bpvu

It's an extraordinary book. And it's interesting 'Baqara' is also a chapter of the Qur'an ('kill the cow'), because beef-eating societies just have massive impact on the environment, on natural resources, on all these things. And traditionally the Muslims were not cow-eaters, they were sheep and

lamb [-eaters] when they did eat meat."

FROM:http://pov.chinavegan.com/bbs/viewth...extra=page%3D1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Really though, I have never had the pleasure of meeting an Islamic vegan.

·
Registered
205 Posts
^^ its still all good..

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Salaam eleikum from a vegan person of the book (Christian). Its so wonderful that you are challenging tradition like you are. I've met many Muslims in Africa and they said that meat was so much a part of the culture that nobody would seriously consider going vegetarian.

I did a google search and found this website:

http://www.islamveg.com/

I found these quotes interesting:

For myself, a big part of worshiping God is respecting God's creation. We are to be God's co-creators. God's healers; we have a duty to minister to the plants and animals as well as the humans.

An excellent post.

That website I posted incidently has a link to some fatwas on the subject of vegetarianism. Basically says that vegetarianism is halaal, but one shouldn't think of meat as being prohibited. http://www.islamveg.com/fatwas.asp

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Ah dang. I never look at the time signature before posting. Sorry for gravedigging.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jernord View Post

Really though, I have never had the pleasure of meeting an Islamic vegan.
I'm not certain about vegans, but there are a few Muslim and Muslima vegetarians on this site.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Just fyi, the OP is from 2007. And the person who posted it is banned and probably won't read any responses.
what i found hilarious was that OP got banned after only 5 posts!? lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I'm not certain about vegans, but there are a few Muslim and Muslima vegetarians on this site.
I'm supposed to be a Muslim but I have nothing to do with Muslims except that I live with them ,,They saying Allah made animals for human benefits & all creatures are made for their benefits,,So they won't stop eat meat till Allah say so {{I'm only talking about Muslims I know }}
Quote:
Originally Posted by spherion View Post

what i found hilarious was that OP got banned after only 5 posts!? lol
looool

·
Registered
1 Posts
Salam,

I am a Muslim vegetarian for the last six months. Going vegan in a week and half. Already began but I'm taking it slow so I don't have to throw anything away.

@Safiyah Did you marry him when he was vegan or did you both make this decision together? I never met another Muslim vegan (or even vegetarian) so forgive the intrusion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to Islam although all of my family is muslim.I have had a hard time connecting to muslim brothers and sisters because we don't share the same views in many ways. So I stand alone for now. I at least feel the compassion and the message of Allah not to cause any harm. I love beeing a Vegan Muslima
carrot.gif

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post

I am new to Islam although all of my family is muslim.I have had a hard time connecting to muslim brothers and sisters because we don't share the same views in many ways. So I stand alone for now. I at least feel the compassion and the message of Allah not to cause any harm. I love beeing a Vegan Muslima
carrot.gif
Wow, well, while the OP might not be part of the boards any more, it's nice to see a few Muslim vegans/vegetarians!

I can't remember who said it, but I remember reading once "vegetarianism is halal, meat is not compulsory". Feel free to use that, if ever you get into a bit of a confrontation with someone :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts