VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
It might look like I'm new around here, but it's not really the case.

I joined these boards around the time of my 13th birthday, back in 2004 (I'm now 19 going on 20). I had just decided to become a vegetarian and came here looking for support.
I found great support and information here, and it prompted me to become vocal about my beliefs.

Seven years later and i'm still going strong, though it wasn't without its difficulties. I was only in year 7 at the time in an all-boys school. Ridicule and abuse was definitely not too uncommon during my years in high school, and at times it was very difficult for me to embrace my beliefs.

In general I would not preach, especially to those who do not want to be preached at. Being an atheist myself, I would find it hypocritical to push my beliefs on those who do not appreciate it. Despite this, there are of course, people who will still attempt to mock and demean you, this is not just for the young veg*ns. People of all ages will feel the need to argue and belittle. The world is still hugely populated by those with little compassion and respect for life.

Being a veg*n from early teens is definitely not easy, and many will find it to be a pressure on their social lives, but if you believe in something strongly enough it will push you to continue. I endured a large amount of bullying from my peers. You must always remember that you are doing what you believe in and no amount of external pressure will influence you.

This world needs more people who are compassionate and willing to voice their concerns with the abuse and brutality that is still rampant in societies across the globe. Everyone here is fighting for a kinder world and I am glad people are still streaming in for the cause.

That said, although there are many who will dismiss your beliefs and tell you that you are over-exaggerating. There are people who will support you and guide you towards bettering yourself and others.
These people, I found right here. You will always have someone to talk to and support you. Take solace in the fact that there are supportive people constantly fighting to end cruelty. Hopefully one day you, yourself, will be a person that is looked up to and asked for advice and understanding.

Taking the step to becoming a veg*n is a huge one, and it will take effort on your part. But remember it is the best step to promoting a brighter future for animal(and man)kind

I have a huge amount of respect for every person who takes this step, as this movement is something I hold very dear to my heart.

Thank you to everybody taking this step, and everyone taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Great post!

I went vegetarian when I was six years old. I'm now 34 and vegan.

Indeed, I encountered my fair share of resistance along the way. In fact, there was so much push-back that when I first tried to go from vegetarian to vegan when I was 13, it only lasted about a year. After that, I stayed vegetarian and I'd go vegan off and on. The veganism didn't really stick until I got older and found online information and support like VeggieBoards. That, and the increase in vegetarian restaurants and new foods in grocery stores helped, too. (And of course, the support of a loving partner and family.)

Please stick to your values and live an honorable life by being veg*n.
But also remember that if something happens and you fall back into your old ways, you can try again later in life. There's nothing stopping you from trying again. Sometimes doing the right thing takes practice. I should know

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am 33 years old and I am still a New Born Vegetarian and still learning the lifestyle. However, I don't understand as a Christian why being a vegetarian has to reflect on your religious beliefs? Its a lifestyle for your health and environment. My Faith and Religion has no control over my decision of being Vegetarian I am doing it for the animals, environment and health.

This lifestyle takes babysteps , day to day you will learn something knew each day

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see what you mean and I fully agree. I never wanted to push vegetarianism to other people because I respected their choice, just as I wanted the same respect with being vegetarian. However, there's a difference between educating and preaching. If a person does not understand something-- it's important to teach/educate and help them understand certain things. IMHO

It's typical of veg*ns to go through the pressure to cave in with the omnivore lifestyle because it is everywhere. Especially from family who don't want to change their lifestyle. So, again, most of us can relate.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Define "preach". Are you anti activism?
I know that this question is not aimed at me but Josh would you please define activism and anti activism?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Define "preach". Are you anti activism?
Definitely not, I am a strong supporter and participator in animal rights activism. My main purpose of this post was to retell my first few years experience with making the transition to vegetarianism, and to hopefully help people who are going through the same thing I went through when I was young. I just felt that it was something that people should read and understand that they are never alone.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post

Definitely not, I am a strong supporter and participator in animal rights activism. My main purpose of this post was to retell my first few years experience with making the transition to vegetarianism, and to hopefully help people who are going through the same thing I went through when I was young. I just felt that it was something that people should read and understand that they are never alone.
Until we can connect our brains with cables and such things, we will eternally be alone (or finitely as the case may be). Nonetheless, the desire for acceptance and a distraction from that ultimate truth can make things easier for some.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wish I would have known about this forum when I was in high school. It has been great support for me in couple weeks that I have been apart of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts