VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I have a bunch of eggplants and a lot of tofu and I don't really know how to cook them. I mean I always prepare my tofu scramble and I've cooked my eggplants in the oven or just fry them but I don't know... I need something new.
I've consider the eggplant lasagna but I don't eat chesse and they don't sell Daiya here where I live. So if you guys could help me out :) I would appreciate if you could post some links about your favourite recipes or if not just hand me the names. Yeap... thanks. Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It's not necessary to put cheese (vegan or not) on lasagna... Or do you really only like lasagna with cheese?

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hey so I have a bunch of eggplants and a lot of tofu and I don't really know how to cook them. I mean I always prepare my tofu scramble and I've cooked my eggplants in the oven or just fry them but I don't know... I need something new.
I've consider the eggplant lasagna but I don't eat chesse and they don't sell Daiya here where I live. So if you guys could help me out :) I would appreciate if you could post some links about your favourite recipes or if not just hand me the names. Yeap... thanks. Have a great day.
Here's a recipe for eggplant lasagna that doesn't have cheese (vegan or otherwise) in in. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is my favourite recipe for eggplant - it is meant to be a side dish to serve warm with lamb, but I add chickpeas at the final stage and serve it with couscous. Originally a recipe from a Bill Granger TV show in Australia (couldn't find a link to it on his website, so copying the recipe here).

SPICY EGGPLANT SALAD

· 2 large eggplant (aubergine)
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 3 garlic cloves, crushed
· 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
· 3 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro)
· 2 tablespoons paprika
· 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
· 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
· 4 large Roma (plum) tomatoes, roughly chopped
· 1 teaspoon sea salt
· 1 tablespoon brown sugar
· 2 tablespoons lemon juice
· 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
· freshly ground black pepper

Cut into 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick slices. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).

Place the eggplant in a single layer in two baking trays and brush with olive oil on each side. Cook for 30 minutes, swapping the position of the trays halfway through. Remove from the oven.

Sprinkle the eggplant with water if it is a little dry. Cool for 5 minutes, dice and place in a bowl. Add the garlic, parsley, coriander, paprika, chilli and cumin and stir to combine.

Place the extra olive oil in a saucepan over a medium to high heat and add the tomatoes, salt and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes, add the eggplant mixture and cook for another 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, vinegar and black pepper. Serve warm

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
My favorite thing with eggplant is cutting them into cubes, shaking in a plastic bag with olive oil and spices and roasting them. Yum

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eggplants

I can't help with tofu as I don't eat soy, but eggplants, oh eggplants!

Eggplants are best raw, in my opinion. Never liked them cooked.

Blend fresh tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes that have been rehydrated overnight in drink water. When fully blended in your food processor, add basil, cilantro, sea salt and other Italian spices. Throw in an avocado and pulse, but leave little avocado chunks.

Then add eggplant slices to the tomato-basil-avocado sauce and let set in the fridge for 2-3 hours to soak up the flavor. That's my favorite way to eat eggplant.

Second-favorite is to slice it up and dehydrate it with olive oil, sea salt and spices.

Lately I've been making this recipe with pomegranates instead of turmeric, and it is sooo amazingly delicious: http://www.raederle.com/2012/08/recipe-honeyed-turmeric-muesli-without.html Yeah, nothing to do with eggplants, but it is also seasonally relevant to this wonderful time of year!

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
I love eggplant and tofu cubed and coated with cornstarch, sauteed till golden brown, and then add a spicy, very garlicy sauce! Kinda like what Orchid linked to, but more General Tso like and garlicy!

Eggplants are wonderful cooked down to a sauce- with roasted red peppers, and/or tomatos and spices.

Lasagna is great with tofu feta! You can press out the water (I'm assuming it's regular tofu) and marinate with either lemon juice or wine vinegar, nutritional yeast if you like it-or leave out, Italian spices and garlic and olive oil.

I didn't think anyone should eat raw eggplant! Appartantly it does make some people sick, but not all are sensitive!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts