VeggieBoards banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Soilman has not looked into "sharpies" but he knows that various kinds of felt markers use more than one kind of ink-system, and that some of them are much more toxic than others. I've seen felt markers labelled as being non-toxic if accidentally eaten. As to whether these are non-animal is another question. Very likely the toxic inks are considered toxic largely because of petroleum solvents -- and yes many of these are toxic if absorbed thru the skin. The pigment that is left behind after the solvent dries can be toxic too, but with black inks is often nothing more than simple carbon, usually made from plants. Metallic colors can be actual metals. However these would tend to not be absorbed by your blood stream unless you got them in a large cut or injected them with a hollow needle.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy markers somewhere that are marketed for the specific purpose of writing on skin, and which are considered to be safe for this purpose.

Inks are often made of "secret"ingredients though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Good for you on the tattoo thing. They are overrated. If I had a 'do over' I wouldn't get not a one (I have two). They were cool in my younger days, but now that I'm older they just don't look right. Can you imagine, at 16, I had AeroSmith wings tattoo'd on my butt. Well, in my opinion, AeroSmith ain't what they used to be back in the day. So, I had that covered about 6 years ago or so with a tribal tat. And I have a beautiful butterfly on my upper arm, which is the 3rd in a series of cover ups in the same spot. Point is, what you get today may not be what you want 10 years down the road. People evolve and that changes the whole landscape.

·
Registered
0 Posts
my first tat was on my left upper arm..done with a sewing needle and some indian ink. Yep, the jailhouse way. When I was 14 I believe. It said 'angel' and looked really stupid but at the time I thought I was cool. Well, the letters weren't even all the same size. I covered it up at about 18 with a butterfly. I was low on cash, so I went to this guys house who did it out of his spare room. Ugh. Another fine decision of my youth. I finally had it covered again for a 3rd time by a pro in a shop. So, by this time, it's quite large. Maybe 3 inches wide by 4.5 long. When I shop for dress clothes for my job, I have to make sure that the sleeves cover it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but some people have preconcieved notions about how women are that get tats. Plus, it shouldn't, but I believe that it may hold me back career wise because I have clients that are older male. Women back in their day just didn't do this kind of thing. Anyhow, I wish I was 'wimpy' like you say you are because more than likely I would have never got one if I was.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i agree with max

i sooooo want to run out and get inked, i'm not wimpy about it, i have surprisingly decent pain tolerance, i just can't afford to do it.

i love tats on men and on women, if they're tasteful and done by a good artist. some nights when i'm bored i'll just sit at this site and go through all the designs www.bme.freeq.com

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I want a tattoo, but I don't want to rush into it. Legally I can do it in *counts on fingers* 11 days (what!? 11 fingers!?), but if I have to live with it forever, I want to do some serious thinking first.

I'm actually getting my nose pierced first, because I've wanted to do that for such a long time. But, to inaugurate my adulthood, I'm making Taylor go with me to the Endzone in Winston-Salem, featuring the finest male entertainers in the Triad area...

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i think some are and some aren't, you just have to research a place before you get any work done, which you should do anyways.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts