VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I do when I get fresh herbs:

Remove the binding and do not rinse or wet herbs

Place snugly, but not tightly in a glass with water, like you would flowers, making sure not to allow water level to reach the leaves of the herbs, just submerge the stems.

With the plastic produce bag it normally comes in, cover the herbs to create a little mini greenhouse. Make sure it's spacey in there for the plant to breathe, kind of balloon-like. Bind the bottom onto the glass with a rubberband or string.

Your herbs will be fresh for weeks! Mine don't lose any flavor or potency. It doesn't need a water change, unless, for some reason the stems were really muddy. Better to just rinse the stems first if that's the case.

·
Registered
0 Posts
thank you so much!! i ALWAYS end up throwing the majority of my fresh herbs out. or i end up making pesto out of basil that i think is gonna go to waste. i dont even like pesto and i always have jars of it. heh.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're welcome! Geez, I forgot about drying too! Drying some instead of throwing them away is good too. Especially if it's organic, fresh herbs are so expensive. And buying dried herbs that are organic are expensive too! A dehydrator works great or just putting them in a low heat, I guess 150-170 degrees oven for a few hours will work too.

And, yes, AussieVeganMum, freezing is an option too. Freezing pesto that way is good too! Secura's gonna have a freezer full now too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts