VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I couldn't think of another place to post this, hopefully this is the right section.

This summer, I'll be attending a 3 week program at UMD with other highschoolers.

I've obviously very excited, especially to meet new people. I'm not a particularly outgoing person, but the kids in my own class have been a bit...boring, as of late. As such, I'm looking forward to social interaction with new people.

However, there is a problem.

Like I said, I'm not a particularly outgoing person, so I don't know that much about others in my class, at least as far as their personal lives (though admittedly, I usually don't care). However, I just learned that another individual in my class is going to the same program.

This individual is someone who I don't particularly enjoy. He's almost always hitting me up on topics that I usually don't care about, and are generally considered embarrassing to talk about amongst my peers. He does this in the middle of class, loudly, and continually makes condescending remarks towards others. He's not my friend, but he's not someone who's so obnoxious to to me that I can be open about not wanting to hang around him.

He really doesn't have any devoted friends, and as such, has become somewhat, attached to me.

Most kids in my class/school understand this relationship, so it's usually not a big deal.

However, I don't want any chances I have of actually making friends, and meeting people who I actually want to hang out with, ruined because of someone who I don't really like that immediately starts out attached to me.

Fortunately, this person doesn't know that I'm going to the UMD program this summer. Regardless though, I really don't know how to handle this situation. I'm not looking to be rude to this person, because he means well. But at the same time, I don't want to hang out with him, especially when it's detrimental to being with people who I might actually enjoy hanging out with.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I know a guy who can get rid of him for you
1 phone call....

That is a tough situation, although I've never had a problem with telling people how I feel
If I don't like you, believe me... you'll be the first to know. I don't think it benefits either of you having a pity(?) relationship. If you're not the best at confrontation, would ending conversations work? 1 worded answers that don't encourage the continuation of conversation.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know that if someone I thought was my friend actually didn't like me or want to hang out with me I would want them to tell me. It would be way less hurtful to tell him in as nice a way as possible than to pretend to like him. Even hinting at it with one word answers can be confusing for him and hurtful.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Er...I'm gonna have to echo Veggigirl's and sequoia's sentiments. This doesn't sound like an easy situation to be in, but it really is best to nip it in the bud. You're not doing him any favors by continuing to let the guy think you're his friend. It's easy for me to say that sitting here in front of a computer screen, but I do empathize because if I were in your situation, I'd probably be feeling pretty similarly. I don't like to hurt people's feelings, but if you don't like the guy, it seems like that's pretty inevitable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts