VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
A Whole Foods Market employee has launched an hilarious attack on the firm with an extraordinary letter of resignation.

Fed up with what he described as the fakery of the store - which he claims is more of a 'faux hippy Wal-Mart than an 'earth-and-body-friendly organic foods paradise' - he sets about righting some of those perceived wrongs in a 2,343-word essay to former bosses.

In his outburst he says the firm mistreats and underpays employees, flouts its environmental responsibilities, and allows customers to abuse staff.
- Full article, with the complete letter as well.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Here's my letter:

Dear idiot,

Good luck with every job you're going to have for the rest of your life.
Seriously, right?

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Good luck with every job you're going to have for the rest of your life.
Depends on how often he or she is late.

If it's a once-a-year thing, and the boss gets upset over it, then the problem isn't with the worker.

If it's weekly or monthly, there probably is a problem with the worker.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I LOVE the opening statement.

My experience at Whole Foods was like an increasingly sped up fall down a really long hill. That got rockier with every metre. And eventually, just really spiky ... With fire, acid and Nickleback music.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I didn't read through the whole thing. We don't have a Whole Foods in my area and I've never shopped at one. I would if we had one. I guess they are a large business and have all the large buisness issues.

I agree, with the good luck with you job sentiment. When I think of the crap I put up with at work. But I didn't even have an attitude when I washed dishes and did housekeeping for a living. And I can say I'm always on time for work.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It does sound just like wal-mart, my sister works at Wal-mart so i know, customers could reach across the counter and punch a worker in the face there, and the employee would have to apologize.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Luckily my local Whole Foods is nothing like that. The employees there are fantastic, friendly, helpful...I've written e-mails to Whole Foods corporate more than once complimenting them on that particular store and its staff. Most Whole Foods in DFW are that way, though one of the glitzier new stores in a wealthy part of town (same 'hood where I grew up, unfortunately) is full of d-bags...staff AND clientele. Hate that one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
He's not that far off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to Whole Mart': Rotten Apples of Social Responsibility Industry View Post

Mackey's views on Wal-Mart became known to Hawken, author of The Ecology of Commerce, in the mid 1990s, when the Whole Foods CEO approached him about joining the Whole Foods board. The conversation was pleasant until the subject of Wal-Mart came up. Hawken mentioned that he'd been working recently to help some small towns in Vermont keep Wal-Mart out of their communities.

"What's wrong with Wal-Mart?" asked a surprised Mackey. Hawken said that since their time was limited, maybe it would be better to ask, "What's right about Wal-Mart?"

"Okay, what's right about Wal-Mart?" Mackey responded.

"Nothing," said Hawken.
http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=162

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Gotta love how Kroger stores are being remodeled to resemble a hybrid of Whole Foods and Wal-Mart. I call 'em "Yuppie Wal-Mart."

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Never been to Whole Foods, but what's wrong with Wal Mart?

And that letter was entertaining. A lot of the things he complained about seemed to be his own fault, like coming in late, and all the other things just seem to be normal for a business. It's not some magic food hut, it's a business

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Gotta love how Kroger stores are being remodeled to resemble a hybrid of Whole Foods and Wal-Mart. I call 'em "Yuppie Wal-Mart."
Not around here they're not (being remodeled).

·
Registered
824 Posts
omg. I just had to read that to my husband who just walked away without saying anything other than "wow".

·
Banned
136 Posts
No surprises in that letter-I know it's all true.

The Whole Foods near me is run by a sociopath prevaricator 100% soulless corporate clone witch of the most revolting type.

The place eats cashiers like I eat Blueberries I have never seen anyone last longer than one month.

The whole idea of how they're saving the planet by overcharging is a brilliant marketing angle-look how many stupid stupid people spend every dime they earn in that pit of mediocrity-and walk out feeling smug.

I go there to buy locally made bread occasionally some blue corn meal or a cookie and that's it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Um, that kind of just sounds like every retail/large company I've ever worked for.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts