VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Inspired by Bryanna Clark Grogan's cheddary spread)

·250gms silken tofu

·3 level tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes

·2 T natural peanut butter (yup, that's right!)

·2 T lemon juice

·1½ light miso

·1 t onion powder

·1 level teaspoon paprika

·¾ t salt

·½ t garlic powder

·½ level teaspoon white pepper powder

·4 T salsa

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until extremely smooth. Chill thoroughly (THIS IS IMPORTANT. Chilling the dip really allows the flavors to blend.)

I honestly don't like nutritional yeast, and I know there are others who feel the same way, but this cheeze is absolutely delicious and not yeasty at all. I've served it to omni kids and they simply loved it. You can make a yummy mac 'n' cheeze delight with it, too.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried this on practically everything. Tortilla chips, macaroni, crackers, and lasagna. It can be used as an all-purpose cheeze sauce, it's so good. I'm going to use it as a grilled cheeze filling next. Yum!

Oh, by the way, that was supposed to be 1 and 1/2 tablespoons light miso. Also, I've found that Master Foods medium-hot salsa yields superior results without making the cheeze too spicy.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
sounds kinda like cheese wiz. can you freeze it or does it last a really long time in the fridge? if you could make up a big batch and use an old jar to store it you could snack on it all the time

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never tried freezing it. I'm not sure it would work, as I've heard that silken tofu tends to become grainy when frozen. It keeps for up to a week or ten days in the fridge.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I like nutritional yeast a lot. I make a few really cool recipes with it.

One thing that's super easy and VERY yummy is to take a baked potato and slather earth balance on it, sprinkle on a smidgen of ume plum vinegar (it's very salty) and then some nutritional yeast on it and moosh it all up ... sprinkle some fresh ground pepper on top and voila! Cheesy Potato! You can also add bacos if you like.

Something else that's good is to mash an avocado with nutritional yeast and ume plum vinegar and spread on bread and "grill" like grilled cheese. Very tasty!

I also take tortilla chips and sprinkle nutritional yeast, onion powder, a hint of garlic powder, a little paprika, and a pinch of citric acid (found around sprouting supplies) on them and have what I call "Dorado's" (my version of Doritos).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MoonDansyr, what is ume plum vinegar? I don't think I've ever used it. Do you think it'll be available in mainstream supermarkets?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ume Plum vinegar is Japanese. I've only ever seen it in asian markets or health food stores. I use it with nuritional yeast and get GREAT cheesey results with it. YUM!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts