1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New York Times - February 9, 2007

A Brutal Sport Is Having Its Day Again in Russia

By C. J. CHIVERS

MOSCOW, Feb. 8 The two opponents padded and paced on a snowcovered basketball court, waiting for their fight to begin.

They were adult Central Asian wolf dogs in the middleweight class. Both were undefeated in a combined 42 appearances in Russias fighting-dog rings. Each weighed more than 100 pounds.

The referee gave the sign. Their trainers released them. The dogs growled, lunged and met, locking jaws on each others faces. They began pulling and twisting, each trying to force the other to the snow.

About 150 people lined the fences to watch. The most intense matchup of the fourth stage of the all-Russian dogfighting championship, held in a forest region well south of Moscow, had begun.

Full story, and photos/video, at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/09/wo...rtner=homepage

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
"A vet is always present."

The universal excuse for everything. My question is, where do these ventures find all their cruel and callous vets?

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

"A vet is always present."

The universal excuse for everything. My question is, where do these ventures find all their cruel and callous vets?
I don't think it's hard to do. Even the largest, most respected vet org. in the US supports factory farming (including gestation crates) and animal testing, no matter how cruel or useless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts