VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to share this!

My brother is 13 years old and of course being a 13 year old boy can be quite a punk. He's always had the attitude "Eh it tastes good so I don't care how this got to me." We were raised in a Do what you gotta do mentality in my household. Since we're veryyy country. (So hunting, fishing, raising animals, the whole shibang)

So I told my brother, Hunter (Even his name isn't veg*n lol
), about the movie Earthlings and some of the stuff that is in it and he brushed it off like he always does saying as long as it taste good. But, then a few hours ago he goes, "Kayla, let's watch that animal killing movie you talked about. I just wanna see how it all happens." So I reluctantly give in figuring during the movie I'll be over here bawling like a baby and he'll be making "looks tasty" type comments.

Shockingly, about 20 minutes into the movie he's right along with me saying how mean all this treatment is. And then at the end of the pig portion I glance over because he's been silent for a few minutes straight (weird for him) and notice his eyes are welling up with tears!

Yes, you heard me! My omni macho brother was about to break the flood gates. But, before any fell, he made a quick beeline for bed saying we'd watch the rest tomorrow.

Geez, I'm so happy.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylaxmae View Post

I just had to share this!

My brother is 13 years old and of course being a 13 year old boy can be quite a punk. He's always had the attitude "Eh it tastes good so I don't care how this got to me." We were raised in a Do what you gotta do mentality in my household. Since we're veryyy country. (So hunting, fishing, raising animals, the whole shibang)

So I told my brother, Hunter (Even his name isn't veg*n lol
), about the movie Earthlings and some of the stuff that is in it and he brushed it off like he always does saying as long as it taste good. But, then a few hours ago he goes, "Kayla, let's watch that animal killing movie you talked about. I just wanna see how it all happens." So I reluctantly give in figuring during the movie I'll be over here bawling like a baby and he'll be making "looks tasty" type comments.

Shockingly, about 20 minutes into the movie he's right along with me saying how mean all this treatment is. And then at the end of the pig portion I glance over because he's been silent for a few minutes straight (weird for him) and notice his eyes are welling up with tears!

Yes, you heard me! My omni macho brother was about to break the flood gates. But, before any fell, he made a quick beeline for bed saying we'd watch the rest tomorrow.

Geez, I'm so happy.
Awww, he just puts up a tough guy front. Sounds like an awesome and sensitive boy

Seeing Earthlings doesn't guarantee he'll stop eating animals though. I have a couple friends who watched it, were intensely bothered by it and then shoved it to the back of their minds I guess. But it does show he really cares and has empathy, and that's an important first step

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He seriously is a really sensitive boy though. I mean I'm sure he could still eat a cheeseburger tomorrow but I have a feeling at least now he might think twice about it before taking a bite. And my sister told me tonight that she could slowly become vegan. She said her first step would have to be pescatarian. Makes me happy!!! :) It's funny because I became vegan on a whim 3 months ago and it's really changing not just my own but my familys outlook on how people should live with compassion

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylaxmae View Post

He seriously is a really sensitive boy though. I mean I'm sure he could still eat a cheeseburger tomorrow but I have a feeling at least now he might think twice about it before taking a bite. And my sister told me tonight that she could slowly become vegan. She said her first step would have to be pescatarian. Makes me happy!!! :) It's funny because I became vegan on a whim 3 months ago and it's really changing not just my own but my familys outlook on how people should live with compassion
That's so amazing! Sounds like you are a very good influence

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

Whether or not he changes his lifestyle, at least he is not ignorant to the process.
+1
I think everyone that eats meat needs to be aware of this. I showed Earthlings to my sister and she didn't change right away (that was maybe four months ago). Last week she cut out chicken. This week is pork. Red meat is next week. And after Thanksgiving she won't eat meat anymore. It helps that her girlfriend is vegan. Although it wasn't an overnight change, I'm proud that she is realizing how horrible it really is and is changing her life.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I don't expect all my family to do the change as fast as me at all. I was omni one day and then vegan the next but, it really warmed me up inside to hear them both saying the things I've been trying to get through to them
Ahh such a good feeling.
I don't know if I could've done it without veggieboards either ha

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

+1
I think everyone that eats meat needs to be aware of this. I showed Earthlings to my sister and she didn't change right away (that was maybe four months ago). Last week she cut out chicken. This week is pork. Red meat is next week. And after Thanksgiving she won't eat meat anymore. It helps that her girlfriend is vegan. Although it wasn't an overnight change, I'm proud that she is realizing how horrible it really is and is changing her life.
I'm glad she's changing, but I first cut out red meat (beef, pork, etc.) then poultry, then fish...I'm surprised she cut out chicken first.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I'm glad she's changing, but I first cut out red meat (beef, pork, etc.) then poultry, then fish...I'm surprised she cut out chicken first.
I thought it was interesting, too. She lives on dorm food, so there must have been some logic to it...not sure. I'm not complaining!! I stopped liking the taste of chicken about a year before I went veg. So that was an easy one to cut out

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
This is great to read. My sister in law (who's 12) just finished a week long visit with us (Our whole family is veg) and she said it wasn't so bad, and she wanted to be a vegetarian too. I thought that something like Earthlings might still be a bit traumatizing to someone so young, so I didn't bring out any videos. Maybe next visit

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Awww that's nice to hear.
He kinda reminds me of my youngest sister. She just turned 14 last month, and may very well become vegetarian at some point. Over the years she's asked me things, and she's definitely made some connections. Her favorite musician is a vegetarian, has been in ads for PETA2, and has "Go Vegetarian" on some of his posters, so he is an influence to her as well. About a year ago when I was away from home, she sent me a message asking if I would help her become a vegetarian, but she loves chicken. By the time I got back she never so much as mentioned it ever again, but I know it's ticking around in her head there somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts