VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that organic and natural foods are becoming much more mainstream? I mean, all the local grocery stores around here now carry a large selection of organic/natural food and health & beauty stuff. Just five years ago, it wasn't even near how it is now.

Something I'm really excited about is happening where I work. I work for a large grocery warehouse that provides all of the Piggly Wiggly stores in the midwest. Over the last year, they have contracted with organic producers to carry their own "generic" line of organics with the name of Full Circle. We offer this brand at a much lower price than other organic brands (which I adore). Since they started this, we have been getting more and more products in the Full Circle line. Plus, this is where a large growth of our profits is coming from.

At our yearly meeting where how the company is doing overall was discussed, they spent quite a while talking about this. Organics and natural products are *the* fastest growing division right now. The best part is that the majority of these products are vegetarian.

Anybody else notice trends like this in mainstream stores?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I noticed in the UK a few years ago that food chains started opening up who dealt exclusively in organic products. This was restricted to the major cities, but a good start nonetheless.

I can see a big gap in the Australian market for an organic food chain, but the vastness of the country means it's harder to create such a successful chain of shops without having to also set up several farms.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was just talking to my husband this morning about this. I know we're a long way from a "veggie world" but more and more people are becoming interested in how food becomes food and what they're putting into their bodies. There is a lot more awareness (and concern over) pesticides, hormones, etc and that is a HUGE step. It's more of a health thing than an AR thing, but whatever it takes!

Even things like free-range meat (which isn't really free range and isn't really monitored) is a step in the right direction just because it means consumers are thinking about what they're eating and how it got on their plate.

Yay!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
I can see a big gap in the Australian market for an organic food chain, but the vastness of the country means it's harder to create such a successful chain of shops without having to also set up several farms. [/B]
Agreed. I think as concerns about GM foods increase Organic foods are going to boom - esp in Australia where we have the room, though maybe not the means, to farm organically. I can see the fear of GM foods opening up a lot more options for Veggies and Vegans as far as product choice and availability is concerned as well as perhaps converting some omnivores to veg*ism.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Vegetarianism and organic are definitely becoming more mainstream. There are several celebrities that are openly vegetarian - aren't Alicia Silverstone and Moby even vegan?? These celebrities get written up all the time. I have seen articles on vegetarianism in mainstream magazines such as Glamour and Seventeen. Organic seems to be the latest buzzword. Most coffee shops now offer soy milk to put in the coffee and to drink. I think these are great things and I hope the message continues to spread.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Moby is a vegan, and will apparently be opening a vegan restaurant in New York late this year or early next year. He's appears to be such a sweet man in interviews and such. It's good to have such a pleasant spokesman.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quizeen

Moby is a vegan, and will apparently be opening a vegan restaurant in New York late this year or early next year. He's appears to be such a sweet man in interviews and such. It's good to have such a pleasant spokesman.
He has a restaurant in NY called TEANY, though it's more of a cafe, really, from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah, our local grocery store has this organic/etc. section. They even have items marked "vegetarian" and "vegan" by color... I love that! They have a big variety, too. It's right next to the fresh cut meat section, but hey, it's still there!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My Kroger's store has added a veg/organic/health food section that is really rather large, including a decent selection of frozen meals, meat alternatives, and dairy products. It's all located next to the fresh produce in this store (which makes more sense!).

They've also really pumped up their selection of ethnic foods: I can buy all kinds of Mexican, Thai, Indian, etc. products that weren't available two years ago.

Thank goodness!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You know, not only is there a relative abundance of this stuff in mainstream markets, but the prepackaged food seems so much better tasting than it did when I became a veg in the early 90s. I wouldn't have touched a veggie burger then for a ton of cash, now I snack on Yves veggie pepperoni all of the time. I hope the improvements keep on coming.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The grocery store I go to has a organic/veg*n section. It has about 4 aisles, a freezer section, and a refrigerated section. Yay for that!

Today they were having boca burger samples, and people were actually trying it!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Something I noticed recently that I liked was that even though the grocery I shop at (Pick n Save) has had an organic produce section for some time (all the stuff is usually hugely overpriced) anyway recently a lot of the produce in the reg. produce section (much more resonably priced) I'm finding labled organic. Yeah!

But if you want real fresh great organic produce check this, but beware, many of these farms also sell meat

www.localharvest.org

1 - 18 of 18 Posts