VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was walking out of my school student union building, I saw a booth across the street. Usually, it's people selling t-shirts, or clubs handing out info, and being the curious student I am, I walked over with my boyfriend. I was sickened at what I found.

The Young Republicans of XXXX university were holding a *barbecue* for 'animal rights' to raise money for their club. I took a closer look, praying I would find veggie burgers, veggie dogs, un-ribs, but it was your standard fare of animal carcass.
I walked up with I guess an odd look on my face when one of the guys leaned in to me and said sarcastically "I'm gonna go get a veggie burger." Boyfriend laughed a bit but stopped when he saw how unamused I was. The booth staff tought they were the shiitake.

I have seen bad taste in my life, but that ranked pretty high up there.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
That is pretty bad.

It's like how Humane Societies sometimes have fundraisers which involve barbecues to raise money for cats and dogs.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
It's worse. These guys don't care about animals at all and are just mocking it. But I wouldn't expect much from that organization.

·
Registered
800 Posts
thats just ridiculous. it's bad enough that they're frying up meat but they're making a mockery of those that actually care about animals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If I saw people on campus doing that, I would take a bunch of PETA literature to their dumb BBQ and start handing it out to people walking by.

What a bunch of ****heads. Excuse my language, but it had to be said.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
It seems that some people think that just because they hold conservative political views, they automatically have to be insensitive to animal suffering.

In actuality, neither Democrats nor Republicans have taken up animals as a party cause. Animals have friends--and enemies--on both sides.

I suggest you write a polite letter to the group's sponsor explaining that compassion for animals doesn't rest on party politics. Perhaps you could suggest the book "Dominion" by Matthew Scully.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Gotta love those Young Republicans! Ours were selling cookies in the shape of people (kind of like gingerbread men), they had brown, tan, and white cookies. The brown and tan cookies were considerably cheaper than the white cookies. I'm sure there was a message there, didn't care to think about it too long.

·
Registered
648 Posts
As Poly Styrene of the X-Ray Spex said, and those Campus Republicans are sure to find out, "the biggest serial killer is a heart attack"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts