VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a vegetarian right now and have been one for 11 years now. (I'm 17). I still live with my family who are all meat eaters, so my mom has to buy separate things for me as it is. I have told her I want to be vegan, and she doesn't support it. I do not have the money to buy my own food. Here is the other thing: There are hidden ingredients in everything, and I would have no idea what has meat and what doesn't

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

So I am a vegetarian right now and have been one for 11 years now. (I'm 17). I still live with my family who are all meat eaters, so my mom has to buy separate things for me as it is. I have told her I want to be vegan, and she doesn't support it. I do not have the money to buy my own food. Here is the other thing: There are hidden ingredients in everything, and I would have no idea what has meat and what doesn't
Hey Adam. You could always eat more fruits and vegetables, and ignore the milk and eggs that they buy. I was vegetarian, and vegan for several months without my family knowing. They go through the meat so fast they'd never caught on that someone wasn't eating it. What types of products are you eating now? I know alot of snacks are out of the question to vegans. Some juices aswell. It's just a simple Google search to see if it's vegan or not
It's also completely your decision. They may not approve of your choices, but they're not going to let you starve. I think it's most adults are still used to the idea that vegans are underweight, malnourished, tree hugging extremists
I've been living quite healthily on a vegan diet for almost a year

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I eat a lot of pasta, pizza, salad, veggie meat substitutes, soup and sandwiches. Thats my primary diet

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Right now I eat a lot of pasta, pizza, salad, veggie meat substitutes, soup and sandwiches. Thats my primary diet
So the salads are pretty easy to tell
What about the pasta? Read the ingredients and make sure it doesn't contain egg white. Check the sauces too. I'm pretty sure Classico tomato sauces(most of them) are vegan. As for the fake meats, most of the ones that are vegan will have it written on the front of the package. I buy the Yves veggie burgers and the Tofurky sausages mostly. Both of them have "Vegan" written on the front of the package
Soups are iffy. I've called a company about their natural flavouring and they couldn't give me a straight answer so I just avoid them.

Try for more fruits and vegetables. Make sure you get 1 or 2 of every fruit you like, then you don't have to worry so much about what you're going to eat for the rest of the day. Beans and lentils make quick and easy meals. I'm lazy so I used to just throw some frozen veg in a pot to warm up and add the beans once it's hot. Takes maybe 3 minutes, pretty healthy for you, and a substantial meal that wont leave you feeling like more

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, yeah. Depends on how you look into it. A lot of soda is made with refined sugar, which is not vegan.
So it all goes back to what extent do you want to be Vegan.
Anyways i wouldn't drink it if i were you
Not because it contains refined sugar which is filtered with animal bones, but because it's extremely bad to your health and from what i've heard, it leaches the calcium of your bones... If you're on a junk food diet, trust me, you need your calcium.
Drink juice instead
Buy Good quality juice or if you can, squeeze your own juice.
Also Drink a lot of water

1 - 6 of 6 Posts