VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has been on soy formula since a couple of days after birth because my boobies don't work
. Anyway he's been thriving and is in the 75th percentile for his age. He started solids at 6 months and has been building up to three meals a day plus his bottles - usually no less than 4 bottles at 220 ml (about 7.5 ounces?). The last few days he's been off his bottles. 2 and a half bottles is the max over the last few days and today he's only had 1. He seems fine with food and will eat no probs he also chews on teethers and sucks on his dummy like normal so I've ruled out his teeth coming through. Any ideas? Think he's self weaning? I'm really worried because He's being raised vegan, as my DH and I are, and I don't want to mess up and have him lose weight or get sick. He won't drink water either and its starting to get hotter here (summers soon) and I'm worried he'll also dehydrate.

He is happy enough otherwise, always giggling and smiling. Maybe I'm just finally gettting to a panicky stage of motherhood LOL. Typical, after being so relaxed and laidback as a mum for the last 8 months.

This is Liam BTW

Attachment 17104
LL

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I doubt he's self-weaning since it's pretty early for that. Some ideas:
- he could just be especially interested in food right now and will go back to the bottle when he understands food better
- maybe this batch of formula tastes funny (try another can/bottle)
- maybe the cooler weather means he's just less thirsty
- is someone other than the usual person giving him bottles these days? babies tend to associate milk with their primary caregiver (seems natural, right? since only mommy has boobies)
- maybe the bottle tastes funny (try rewashing everything in plain sterile water in case there was soap residue)
- maybe he caught a light cold of has an ear infection (relax, it happens. all babies get sick sometimes and it doesn't mean anything about your diet or baby's diet. It just means they caught a virus or bacterial infection. keep an eye on his temperature and if it gets too high or wont go down with tylenol go to the doctor.)

If it continues, see a doctor. You could always call the doc and ask about it now. Dont worry about overreacting, they see parents a lot more crazy than you seem to be.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The only time my son refused to drink was just being generally uncomfortable, either sick, or teething. Maybe give him fruit to make sure he's staying hydrated.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

The only time my son refused to drink was just being generally uncomfortable, either sick, or teething.
This ^^ my kids always backed off when something was wrong or they just didn't feel well. I'm guessing teething is happening, and while the sucking motion from the bottle can be soothing for some, it can really hurt others. It depends on the tooth erupting too.

Try freezing the nipple for 15-20 min and place on bottle- it will feel really good for him and he might take to it. Also freezing pacifiers or letting him chew on frozen washcloths helps.

Liam is adorable BTW!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.