VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how you're supposed to drink eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day? would like herb tea count towards that? it's not that i have a problem with getting those 8 glasses in, water is pretty much all i drink, but i was just wondering if tea would be the same thing. i dont see why it wouldnt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Plus, people eat more processed food these days, which has less water content than fresh food.

The job of water is to move things around in our bodies. So soup or tea will add hydration, but not as much as pure water, because you're also adding stuff that has to be moved around. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think it is a myth that people need to drink 64 oz of water every day on top of eating correctly. If you are eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies (which you should be) then you are already getting a lot of the 64 oz that you need. And I believe everything that you drink counts - although soda pop just isn't healthy for you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drink at least 2 liters of water per day. In fact, water is the only drink i have all day except for my cup of coffee each morning

Although, i just read that if we take in too much water we will start peeing out vitamins? - i'm not sure if this is true

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mushroom

I think it is a myth that people need to drink 64 oz of water every day on top of eating correctly. If you are eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies (which you should be) then you are already getting a lot of the 64 oz that you need. And I believe everything that you drink counts - although soda pop just isn't healthy for you.
Yes, I just read that in my Berkely wellness letter yesterday.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beansprout...that is a good question. As far as I know, you're going to excrete your vitamins no matter what. If you take a lot of vitamins and DON"T drink enough water, they can crystallize in your bladder and cause problems. Even bladder stones. If youre taking vitamins, drink a lot of water. You'll benefit from that in the long run.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a friend who drinks a gallon of water per day. She actually told me that a holistic doc told her to cut back on her water consumption. He said that the reason her body seems to be retaining fluid (and it does) is because it can not assimilate all the water that she is consuming. I've always heard that the more water that you drink, the more your body is able to flush out toxins and excess fluids. Is it me, or does this guy sound like a quack??

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
How could it not count? Growing up, I watched my mother live on coffee. She never drank anything else...now, I am not saying that was healthy, but better than drinking nothing, obviously.

The water in coffee and soda is still water. I have watched plenty of people drink nothing but soda and rarely if ever eat any vegetables or fruits.

·
Registered
142 Posts
it's not that the water in coffee or soda doesn't count - it's that the caffine in these drinks is a diarrhetic and can cause you to loose water and become dehydrated - so it's counter-productive to drink caffinated beverages in order to meet your water requirements.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
vegkat, I have heard that soda and coffee dehydrate you, yet that is all that many people drink. So, the water in these beverages obviously hydrates you more than the caffine in them dehydrates you...otherwise these people would die of thirst.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I believe it would take 3 weeks of not drinking anything for someone to die of thirst. Someone who drinks a lot of coffee is not going to die of dehydration because there are probably gettting some water from food sources but they are definitely not getting enough fluids and although they may not die, there are side effects such as fatigue and head aches. I'd also like to add that alcohol is a diuretic.

The test to determine if you are drinking enough water is to examine the colour of your urine in the afternoon. If you are well hydrated, there should be barely enough colour in it. If it a strong to medium yellow colour, then start hydrating yourself!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Please read Thalia's post...I think that is a myth (that your urine needs to be clear) and so do a lot of other people. Yet, I also believe that when you are THIRSTY water is what you should drink.

Thalia, could you post that article?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Quote:

....I think that is a myth (that your urine needs to be clear) and so do a lot of other people.....
Numerous medical sights, athletic training, my personal doctor (in the past), hospital personnel, and outdoors hiking sites give dark yellow urine as a sign of dehydration (moderate-severe). Making the lighter-more hydrated, darker-more dehydrated.

As far as drinking when you're thirsty... thirst normally comes after your even minorally dehydrated, not before. So in some respects, it's a bit late.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:

Please read Thalia's post...I think that is a myth (that your urine needs to be clear) and so do a lot of other people. Yet, I also believe that when you are THIRSTY water is what you should drink.

Thalia, could you post that article?
It doesn't address the urine, but says that if you need water you get thirsty. My wellness letter only has some teasers online, but here they are:

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/wl/wlTOC.html

Quote:
Pop Quiz on Water

A lot of misinformation about water has been floating around lately. True or false?

1. Most Americans are dehydrated.

2. Whether you're thirsty or not, you should force yourself to drink water throughout the day.

3. You need at least eight glasses of water a day.

4. The water in other beverages, fruits, and soups counts.

5. Drinking anything caffeinated results in a net loss of water.

6. All alcoholic beverages are dehydrating.

7. Drinking lots of water cures or prevents hypertension, ulcers, heart disease, arthritis, asthma, diabetes, headaches, and back pain.

8. Drinking while eating helps digestion.

9. "Oxygenated" water will help your muscles and improve performance. So will vitamin-enriched water.

Answers: All are false, except no. 4. We give you the details.
I will type out what's in the newsletter: (by question number

Quote:
1- There is no evidence for this, though many bottled water companies and a variety of health experts promote this claim.

2-fortunately, in healthy people, the body is very good at regulating fluid balance, and thirst is a reliable indicator of water needs. Under normal circumstances, there's no reason to tote a water bottle around all day. Exceptions: when you're exercising strenuously, or doing hard physical work, especially over long periods of time and in hot weather, you should make an effort to drink even if you don't feel thirsty. Very dry environments such as plane cabins may also dehydrate you; you'll be more comfortable if you drink more fluids while flying. Cold, dry winter air also depletes the body of water.

3-This is a myth. Water is essential, but most people can stay perfectly healthy with six or even three glasses of fluid a day, depending on how active they are, how hot it is, and what else they are consuming.

4-Milk and other beverages consist almost entirely of water. Most foods are mainly water, particularly fruits, greens, and other vegetables (some are 95% water). Soups are mostly water. Even meats contain a lot of water.

5-Caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, or cola, tend to promote urination, but they also count in part as fluid intake. Drinking a cup of coffee does not result in a net loss of water. You do retain some of the fluid from it. In fact, three years ago a study from the U of Nebraska found that people showed the same "hydration status" (as determined from urine analysis and other medical tests) when they drank caffinated beverages as when they drank only water and or fruit drinks.

6-Concentrated alcoholic bevs such as vodka or brandy if drunk undiluted are very dehydrating. But beer and many mixed drinks contain lots of water (the alcohol in wine is also faily diluted) Still, if you're exercising or working in hot weather, you're better off with nonalcoholic beverages.

7-If only it could! There is no evidence for any of this, though these and other claims are often made. A few years ago, for instance, one book blamed most illnesses on lack of water- w/o offering scientific support. Of course, severe dehydration can lead to serious problems such as muscle spasms and sharp drops in blood pressure, as well as impaired exercise performance.

8- Drinking water with meals is a matter of preference The stomach needs water to digest foods, but it draws in what it needs from the rest of the body, temporarily. And as we said, nearly everything you eat contains water.

9-One study found that oxygenated water did not improve aerobic performance; another found that it did not increase oxygen levels in the blood....
Here is another article that is a little less skeptical. But they both emphasize that food makes up a huge proportion of one's water intake, and that it is one is exercising or in dehydrating environments that one needs to be extra careful.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aarealskei

I have a friend who drinks a gallon of water per day. She actually told me that a holistic doc told her to cut back on her water consumption. He said that the reason her body seems to be retaining fluid (and it does) is because it can not assimilate all the water that she is consuming. I've always heard that the more water that you drink, the more your body is able to flush out toxins and excess fluids. Is it me, or does this guy sound like a quack??
No, too much water can dilute your electrolytes and cause you to pass out or possibly have a heart attack. It is called "water intoxication"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts