VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not taken the full plunge yet. My family is supporting me with my diet change (they have to I am the main cook!) but we still haven't as a family made the jump yet.

The reason we are eating more vegetarian meals is for my health. Since switching to eating meat only a few times a week and cutting sugar almost completely out. I went from 316 to 264. We also found our food budget stretches further now too.

My kids have been great in handling the switch. They already liked vegetables, so that wasn't a problem. As for tofu, as long as they know it's tofu they like it. As soon as you try to hide tofu, they hate the dish. So now I get requests for things like Tofu Tacos and Tofu Spanish rice.

I'm and glad I found this forum, too many boards had members that got upset because I wasn't a full vegetarian yet. When we do make that plunge. (This week looks close the only meat in the house is a bag of chicken tenderloins.)

We are becoming more careful about what we eat. If we do plan to stay with meat, we are going to support family farms. After seeing the Meet your meat video my husband and I were mad, because we both grew up on working family farms and you do not treat your livestock that way! But of course the factory farms are putting profit before morals.

So basically this is the plan for my family we still with have our dairy and eggs, but increasing the beans and grains in our diet.

It's a slow change, but one my family has liked and not argued too much with. Perhaps soon I can post we made the whole transition soon.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Welcome welcome, and congrats.

In my opinion, someone who is working on cutting out meat and is aware of the factory farming conditions and other unethical treatment of animals is very welcome to these boards.

You may reach a "once a week" point and find it works for your family (I have several friends who do this) or you may discover it's pretty easy to do the whole step into vegetarianism too. Either way, you are doing your (and your family's) health a huge favor and reducing the demand for yet more animal products and animal suffering.

Way to go!

I have three veggie kids myself (well, one of 'em still eats chicken when out with her dad...) so if you ever need ideas or recipes, send me a PM or start a thread to ask questions...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ovo-lacto vegetarian is a good alternative to being semi-vegetarian. I agree that you should go out of your way to get locally and non-factory produced eggs and milk when possible. It is excellent that you and your family are doing this. As a poster said above, diminishing your reliance on the horrors of the meat industry is worth the effort.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm fairly new to these boards too but your story sounds like mine. My whole family basically has gone lacto-ovo-vegetarian although at times, I think I'm more inclined toward vegan. I take it a day at a time! Good luck and I hope you find this board as supportive as I have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.