VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
(CNN) -- A child on a school outing was attacked by a leopard at a Wichita, Kansas, zoo, authorities said Friday.

The boy, a student from Linwood Elementary, was with classmates on a field trip at the Sedgwick County Zoo when, around 1:15 p.m., witnesses said, he "went over a railing" and approached the Amur leopard exhibit, said Lt. Jay McLaurian of the county sheriff's department.

The leopard was able to reach into the mesh covering of its enclosure and grab the boy by his head, McLaurian said.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/06/kan...RSS%3A+U.S.%29

I know it's tempting to use this story as another example of why zoos are evil and shouldn't be caging wild animals such as leopards, but I'd like to know why a 7 year old boy would be stupid enough to climb into the leopard enclosure and, according to this story, why nobody tried to stop him?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
kids don't realize dangerous situations most times. And they're fast.
things happen/they do stuff in the blink of an eye.
this is sad all around.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
There are stupid people of all ages, including kids. a 7 tear old who doesn't get that big cats are dangerous is stupid.

I just hope that they won't kill the leopard for it

·
Registered
222 Posts
On a separate now, having read this article...
Whoever wrote this (apparently Antionette Campbell) does NOT understand journalism.

Quote:
He is expected to "be OK," McLaurian said.
Quote:
witnesses said, he "went over a railing" and approached the Amur leopard exhibit,
Antoinette, do you understand when to use quotations? Obviously no, you don't.

And of all the ways one could POSSIBLY end this article, why the hell would she choose this?
Quote:
Amur leopards, which are listed as an endangered species, can grow to 4 to 6½ feet long and weigh anywhere from 60 to 150 pounds, the zoo's website says. They are native to Far Eastern Russia and northern China.
Really, CNN? There aren't better journalists at your disposal?
Do you have an editor? Does anyone proofread this crap before you throw it out to the masses?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I once (as a kid obviously) stood to close the lion's cage. Lion casually walked over, lifted its leg, and pissed on me from head to toe.
my mother laughed for hours and made sure everyone new. God bless her.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
OH MY GOD. People are so stupid.

Leopard has instinct to bite things.

Kid stupidly walks over to leopard.

Leopard bites kid.

OMG, IT MUST BE THE LEOPARD'S FAULT!

Urrggh...

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

according to the article the poor animal was beaten. i feel really bad for the leopard.
To be fair, it said bystanders beat the tiger to get it to stop attacking. That's a bit different than "beaten", like it was being punished.
Should a kid know better? Yes. But my real concern is that it was a school trip, and really in that time frame he could of been led off by a child molester just as easily.
It's the animals in zoos that need protection, and I hope that's what gets notice. The kid climbed a fence to get to it!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

To be fair, it said bystanders beat the tiger to get it to stop attacking. That's a bit different than "beaten", like it was being punished.
Should a kid know better? Yes. But my real concern is that it was a school trip, and really in that time frame he could of been led off by a child molester just as easily.
It's the animals in zoos that need protection, and I hope that's what gets notice. The kid climbed a fence to get to it!
beaten is beaten. just because they beat him to save the kid doesn't mean i won't feel bad for the leopard. he did nothing wrong and gets attacked because of a stupid child and inattentive teachers

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
This is why kids should be on leashes at all times.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

OH MY GOD. People are so stupid.

Leopard has instinct to bite things.

Kid stupidly walks over to leopard.

Leopard bites kid.

OMG, IT MUST BE THE LEOPARD'S FAULT!

Urrggh...
Kids are curious and often don't have the ability to think things through. He should have been more closely supervised. (Obviously).

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
School trips seem to be notorious for not having enough adult supervision. I have seen 20 preschool-aged kids being walked down the sidewalk with only 2 adults more than once. Okay, I didn't stop to count all the kids but it was not a safe ratio. And at an end of school pool party a couple years ago, a young girl drowned and only then was it decided those trips needed more supervision. If my nephew's school does any such trips I have decided I will go with, even though I'd prefer root canal to a day spent with elementary-aged kids. I'd watch him more closely than his parents cuz I'm paranoid like that.

And yeah, poor leopard.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Kids are curious and often don't have the ability to think things through. He should have been more closely supervised. (Obviously).
He was seven.

If he was like four, it would be one thing.

But he was seven.

By the time you're seven, you should know better. IT IS BIG. IT HAS BIG TEETH. IT IS GOING TO EAT YOU IF YOU PISS IT OFF.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
sorry, but that is one stupid child. at the age of 7 you are old enough and have enough common sense to know that big cats with big teeth will bite you.
not that i don't feel for the kid and his injuries.

the leopard did nothing wrong. a meal walked into it's enclosure and territory. delicious i'm sure.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts