VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
The pat down didn't seem inappropriate to me and the agent was speaking to her nicely, touching her gently and explaining all what she was doing. I think calling it "groping" or "intimate probing" is not at all accurate. And the kid doesn't look too bothered afterwards either.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

The pat down didn't seem inappropriate to me and the agent was speaking to her nicely, touching her gently and explaining all what she was doing. I think calling it "groping" or "intimate probing" is not at all accurate. And the kid doesn't look too bothered afterwards either.
I'm glad you said that or I wouldn't have watched it. I think the bit of it that made me feel uncomfortable was that the girl said she didn't it want it to happen. I know they're busy, but they could have taken more time to make her feel a bit more comfortable about it, instead of rushing through it. She probably felt like that whole thing was out of her control and that wouldn't be very pleasant.

What was the 'drug' test they said they were giving her?

·
Banned
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

... Jesus Christ. I'm inundated with people who think this is somehow acceptable.
Tell me about it! It's people like that that get us things like this. Wasn't like this when I first started flying & because I find it unacceptable, I will NEVER get on a plane again! WTH???

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
Quote:

Agreed.

I suspect that what's been upsetting to her is her parents' reaction afterwards and being subjected to interviews.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Uh, this is a SIX YEAR OLD CHILD being treated like a suspect TERRORIST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

... Jesus Christ. I'm inundated with people who think this is somehow acceptable.
I think she'd have to be a little Muslim girl being forced to remove her "facial clothing" before you could expect people to feel outraged.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Was it unnecessary? Probably, from a logical standpoint. (I have no idea about the federal and legal standards about such things being necessary. If I were flying with children, I certainly would research it beforehand, and prepare the kiddos.)

Was it done in an inappropriate way? I don't think so.

Though if I were the agent and I had to pat down a child... if it were allowed to, I may have started with her front so she could see what I was doing before going to pat down behind her.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:

Sure, there are obvious problems with treating a 6 year old as a terrorist. But that doesn't make it "groping" or "intimate probing".
Agreed. "Intimate probing" makes it sound like their sticking pokers into orifices, which they clearly did not get even close to doing.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:

Agreed.

It's sad, but if airport security didn't check children just because they're children, then you could quite easily get a child passing through with an explosive that an adult has strapped to them.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

Was it unnecessary? Probably, from a logical standpoint. (I have no idea about the federal and legal standards about such things being necessary. If I were flying with children, I certainly would research it beforehand, and prepare the kiddos.)

Was it done in an inappropriate way? I don't think so.

Though if I were the agent and I had to pat down a child... if it were allowed to, I may have started with her front so she could see what I was doing before going to pat down behind her.
Ditto

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I would also take the time to explain it to them and tell them not to worry.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I can't say I'm outraged, but I'm certainly saddened by the state of the world. About 6 months after the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York, our family was in St. Louis visiting the Arch. My 1 1/2 year old and almost 4 year old were searched and patted down, as were our stroller and diaper bag. Personally, I did feel violated on behalf of my children, but I kept my cool while there and in explaining it to my son. I know that I am trustworthy, but to be honest, nobody else knows that about us. Overall, I'm glad that we weren't excluded just because of appearances. I feel the same way about this situation.

This should probably go in the unpopular opinions thread. Flying is a luxury. When you buy a ticket, you are agreeing to that set of rules.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Well, we didn't see what happened before the video started either.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.