VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My 6 month old son figured out how to roll over onto his tummy recently - which is great as my oldest son (2 yrs old) has development delays and didn't figure out how to roll over until about 15 months.

The down side is he is rolling over onto his tummy in his sleep and after a while he must get sore or something because he just starts screaming! I have to roll him back but within half an hour he's back on his tummy and so the cycle continues. I've tried tucking a sheet around him really tight but he's figured out how to roll within it, I've tried putting a pillow onto the side he rolls on and it sometimes helps him just roll onto his side but he still cries.

I've never had to deal with this before because my oldest was always very happy just laying on his back all night!

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this?

I'm so tired from getting up half a dozen times a night and he's waking up his brother now too.

Thank you!

vegmumma xxx

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wish I could help but I've never had a problem with that. aren't there little support pillows for babies that keep them on their side?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wish I could help you but my babies slept with me, have you tried getting those support pillows to keep him in one position?

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Yeah, I snuggled my little ones against me all night (I know, I know, for those who didn't care to co-sleep, don't freak out on me!!) but I think there are firm foam wedge pillows that can help. I wouldn't recommend a regilar pillow for sure.

Or maybe just start some comforting techniques that get him back to sleep on his tummy so baby learns to be OK with sleeping on his tummy?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for your suggestions - I really appreciate it.

I would LOVE to let him sleep with me but since DH read an article about "the danger of co-sleeping" he put a stop to it :-( It makes me really sad - I feel like I'm missing out so bad. I would have kicked up a bigger fuss about it but up until now my little one seemed really happy on his own in his cot and my oldest has always loved his cot.

I'm not sure about those support pillows for my little guy - I think they are a great idea but my little guy is a BIG little guy (already 24 lbs!) and very strong and gets real angry when he is restricted in any way so it might make it worse.

I think I will stop rolling him back onto his back and try some comforting techniques on his tummy (thanks tofu-n-sprouts). I'm sure he will figure it out himself in no time.

Thanks so much - I'm so exhausted today after so little sleep plus my 2 year old has flu. It's so nice to have people out there to 'listen'.

vegmumma xxx

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
He'll soon learn to flip back the other way.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Second Jen, I was thinking that too.

And... there is something here called a SafeT sheet but you can easily make it yourself, it's a band of cotton (2-3 inches wide) with a velcro fastening, sewed on to a regular fitted undersheet to "pin" your baby on his/her back. It has worked for a few babies I knew (mine co-slept so we didn't need this).

·
Registered
471 Posts
My ds was a wiggle worm. But we cosleept/sleep so getting up over and over wasn't an issue!!
We figured out how to snuggle up so that he slept on his side, esentially, we spooned!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Sounds like your poor little guy is frustrated that he can't move back onto his back. He'll learn it soon. The best thing to do to help him along is to give him plenty of tummy time during the day so he can build those muscles and learn how to roll back onto his back. In the meantime, do your best to comfort him and to teach him how to go back to sleep on his own (easier said than done, I know).

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
does he sleep in your room? a small bed in your room may keep you from getting up (too far), or keep him from screaming, or whatever.
just a thought anyway.

i want to cosleep myself; my dh is all for it so we're good to go on that.
lucky us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts