VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began running yesterday...I did better today already. I'm taking baby steps by starting with 20 minute walk/run sessions that I'll increase by one minute every couple of days until I reach 30 minutes, then I'll gradually strive to run the entire 30 minutes. I think this is possible to accomplish within 5 weeks. I'm 5'2" and 125 lbs, and can run about 5 minutes straight at a time. What do you guys think? Also, if anyone wants to join me in this challenge, bring it on! Buddies to compare notes with seems to be a great incentive.

P.S. I'm going to attempt at least 6 days a week of 20 - 30 minute workouts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's great that you've started running. I think that you are doing great. I starting running as an adult (in my late twenties) and I love it. It's my favorite cardio work out. I hope everything works out for your 5K on 12/3.

·
Registered
585 Posts
you can do it!!
:-D

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Oh I'm just in the last week of the Couch to 5K program. Doing thirty minute runs now.
If I can do it you can!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Oh I'm just in the last week of the Couch to 5K program. Doing thirty minute runs now.
If I can do it you can!
Awesome! Congrats on making it to the last week! That's awesome...good for you. How many weeks is the program you're following?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You can do it!! And you will feel great!

I started running about 8 weeks ago, and this week I ran 18 miles- 5 miles this morning (8k)! I have come so far and in such a short amount of time, you will surprise yourself.
Some days are tougher than others, you will feel like you had a bad run, but it is counteracted with the good days and feelings of accomplishment. What helps me is some really upbeat songs on my ipod and I prefer running outside.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I just recently finished the Couch to 5K program too. I'm doing a 5K next Sunday!

That program is 9 weeks bur whatever program you do take it at you own pace. The important part is to keep going out and running. Spend 30 minutes doing some sort of walk-jog three days a week. My husband and I started the program at the same time. He had some pain about halfway through so he slowed down and stayed at the level that gave him trouble until he could break through and move up. It worked and now he will finish in time for our 5K next week.

Yesterday we went for a hike and after he was so happy that he did it without getting winded or super tired. He was really very happy. Before, he didn't enjoy hiking as much. So... I think that working up to a point where you can easily run 3 miles is a worthwhile life-enhancing thing to do.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I just recently finished the Couch to 5K program too. I'm doing a 5K next Sunday!

That program is 9 weeks bur whatever program you do take it at you own pace. The important part is to keep going out and running. Spend 30 minutes doing some sort of walk-jog three days a week.
Only three days a week? That takes some pressure off. I felt like I should be running pretty much everyday. Is that way too much?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've been doing the couch to 5k plan, I just started week 4 yesterday. I've only been doing it 3x a week and I'd say it works just fine! The first day, I could barely jog 60 seconds without wanting to lie on the ground. Yesterday morning I ran a full 5 minutes (twice) and didn't feel like I wanted to pass out afterwards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts