VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
PHOENIX A 575-pound man who gained a measure of fame as spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill a Phoenix-area restaurant that unabashedly touts its unhealthy, high-calorie menu has died.

Friends of 29-year-old Blair River say he died Tuesday, possibly from contracting pneumonia after a bout with the flu.

Restaurant founder Jon Basso tells The Arizona Republic that River was more than the larger-than-life caricature he portrayed in promoting the restaurant in Chandler, which includes huge hamburgers, milkshakes and fries cooked in lard on its menu.

[more in the link]
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_831322.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
I wonder if someone who is super-morbidly obese is at a higher risk of developing flu complications, or dying from them. Sadly people can develop pneumonia and die from it at any age and at any weight.

I battled pneumonia myself in 2009 after achieving an enviable level of fitness and a normal body weight. I don't get sick any more or less often at this weight than I did when I was obese, though.

What DID go away was my high blood pressure and most of the symptoms of the minor heart condition that I have.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't sure if I should post it in the Heap or Patch. I posted it here because I didn't want it to turn into a thread about personal attacks. I'm not so much focused on his size vs the food he was promoting (burgers, fries cooked in lard, shakes). People think it's funny to go to the Heart Attack Grill, but now that there's a fatality attached (obviously not completely at fault, but he was the spokesperson), it might change some views on it. Not saying his size was definitely to blame, but I'm sure it weakened other parts of his body so he had a harder time fighting this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
That is so sad. I see these food network shows where they show off over indulgent restaurants, but a person being so large and unhealthy and being known as a spokesman and praised for being in bad shape is horrible. I just want to shake unhealthy people by the shoulders and put some common sense in them. Condolences to his friends and family though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I wasn't sure if I should post it in the Heap or Patch. I posted it here because I didn't want it to turn into a thread about personal attacks. I'm not so much focused on his size vs the food he was promoting (burgers, fries cooked in lard, shakes). People think it's funny to go to the Heart Attack Grill, but now that there's a fatality attached (obviously not completely at fault, but he was the spokesperson), it might change some views on it. Not saying his size was definitely to blame, but I'm sure it weakened other parts of his body so he had a harder time fighting this.
I think it's one of those cases where you can point to his weight and say it probably didn't help but I don't think his death is directly related to his size or his diet. At least not based off what I've read so far.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

I wonder if someone who is super-morbidly obese is at a higher risk of developing flu complications, or dying from them. Sadly people can develop pneumonia and die from it at any age and at any weight.
If he had diabetes, his risks were higher. Most people who die from pneumonia do so because they have a compromised immune system/other illnesses. Another article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...6374D520100408

And from another article on this man:
Quote:
"After accounting for factors such as lifestyle and education, moderately obese men -- those with a body mass index between 30 and 34.9 -- had a 40% greater risk of pneumonia compared with those of normal weight (BMI of less than 24.9). Men who were severely obese, having a BMI greater than 35, were twice as likely to get pneumonia," said this news article last year.

http://www.latimes.com/health/booste...tory?track=rss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
He definitely was responsible for the death of far more than the average number of farm animals each year. I'm glad for farm animals that there's one less thoughtless consumer/killer on the planet, and I hope it makes some others consider their choices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,744 Posts
A 575 pound graveyard. For the sake of the animals, perhaps it is better that he has passed on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,842 Posts
Someone who weighs 575 pounds is probably bedridden most if not all of the time, which increases the chances of developing pneumonia greatly.

As much as we might not like his role as spokesman for a ridiculously unhealthy restaurant, he was still a person, and he died very young. It's a sad thing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

A 575 pound graveyard. For the sake of the animals, perhaps it is better that he has passed on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Someone who weighs 575 pounds is probably bedridden most if not all of the time, which increases the chances of developing pneumonia greatly.

As much as we might not like his role as spokesman for a ridiculously unhealthy restaurant, he was still a person, and he died very young. It's a sad thing.
Both true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,676 Posts
Why do stories like this make me want to drink a glass of water, eat a salad with no dressing, then go for a long walk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
this is tooo awful for words and soooo sad that he is gone at such a young age....weight issues are very serious....and I am sorry he didnt get the help he needed to save his life.

Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
I wish I could understand the mindset that drives people to walk into a place called the Heart Attack Grill. Seriously, have you spent NO time at all in a hospital? Does the stuff that goes on there look funny, or fun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Their motto is "taste worth dying for". Yum.

They're currently running a promotion where you eat for free if you weigh over 350 lbs. They still have the advertisement with River as the spokesperson on the front page of their website.

P.S. I know people who's weight is in that range who are not bedridden most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
There are people in the world who are STARVING, and here we are with a restaurant that has "WE'LL GIVE YOU SO MUCH ****TY FOOD YOU'LL HAVE A HEART ATTACK LOL" as a theme. Awesome.

I am in no way suggesting that he deserved to die, but this guy was kind of a dick for promoting such a place. Sorry, but he was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

There are people in the world who are STARVING, and here we are with a restaurant that has "WE'LL GIVE YOU SO MUCH ****TY FOOD YOU'LL HAVE A HEART ATTACK LOL" as a theme. Awesome.

I am in no way suggesting that he deserved to die, but this guy was kind of a dick for promoting such a place. Sorry, but he was.
He was self loathing to say the least, I am sure.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top