VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Tottenham Hotspur (and the rest of the Premiere League).

2. The way most restaurants explicitly state what is vegetarian and what is not.

3. That curry is a food, and a reason to leave the flat.

4. That apartments are called flats.

5. The tube, and how it is called "the choob".

I
England

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I love the fact that you can always rely on England to produce a musical group that shakes up complacency.

Think about the Beatles with their boppy tunes and neat / tidy appearance.

Once the Beatles hit, it sparked a whole new style of music in North America. And the music scene became stagnant.

We were blessed then with the Rolling Stones (of no fixed haircut) to shake things up.

Fast forward to the late 70's and rock started to lose its edge. Heck, we had to endure disco and all sorts of crap. England gave us the Sex Pistols to shake things up all over again and North America enjoyed alternative stuff like The Ramones.

I like England a lot for shaking things up musically.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Not in any particular order (more than 5 , so sue me
). Things I think are great when I think of England

1... Led Zeppelin

2... The Beatles

3... The word "Right" at the start of a sentence ... hehe

4... Benny Hill

5... Mr Bean

6... Spitfires

7... Winning the 'Battle of Britain'

8... Stonehenge

9... lotsof cool crop circles

10... Monty Python

11... double decker buses

12... Dr. Who

13... phone booths with doors

14... old ruined castles and monestaries (would like to see)

15... Henry Moore (sculptor)

Ok that's all for now

·
Registered
765 Posts
I also love how everything in restuarants is marked for vegetarians! Also a lot of products are marked "suitable for vegetarians."

Four other things (there could be more) would have to be the color green the grass is there, the way everyone is just a little more relaxed about things, their yummy selection of chocolate, and the fact that my boyfriend and his family have made me feel like it was my second home

(I would be leaving for there this Friday if I could afford the apparent $1,000 summer rate hike, darnit!)

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I like England.

I wonder when they will learn not to drive on the wrong side of the road

I felt constanly in danger near a road in London.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And an honorable mention goes to Guy Ritchie films (Lock Stock... and Snatch) although not to Guy Ritchie, himself

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My favorite things about England (and I've only been there once when I was 11, so forgive me if these are lame)...

The Beatles

The Beatles

The Beatles

The Tubes

Double Decker Busses

Madam Tussaud's (spelling?)

The signs that said "Way In" and "Way Out" instead of "Enter" and "Exit"

The cool older Italian guy who serenaded us when we ate in his quaint little restaurant

Roundabouts

Changing Rooms (especially Lawrence and Linda)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

The one thing I love about England is how many of my relatives are over there and not in my country.
Lol. I like the correct and more formal usage of the English language (in general!).

But I also like their slang, such as "bugger off" or "rot."

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
1) most everyone is eccentric so anything goes.

2)the policemen are sweet and shy and I've never seen one with a gun

3)the weather is never the same as last time you met the person you are talking to and every one enjoys talking about it.

4)Animals are the centre of about half the homes in England. The dog has the sofa while the kids sit on the floor.

5)I never met anyone English who's seen a shrink.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've never been, but I REALLY want to go to the British Isles. As for England in particular: I love English history, English comedies, English mysteries (books and TV), English accents, English gardens.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
5 things I like about England though I've never been:

1. Brit-coms (British sit-coms or British Comedies). Are you being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, Brilliant, Father Ted, French and Saunders, Chef!, Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Monty Python, Vicar of Dubley...

2. Accents. Anything from posh to cockney, I love it all!

3. Pubs. More importantly: pubs with a pint in hand. (and British pints are 20oz while an American pint is 16oz
)

4. English Gardens. Beautiful controlled chaos. Everyone I know that tries to do the English Garden look winds up with a garden that looks overgrown and unattended.

5. English expressions. Choob, bonnet, sot, brilliant, lovely, whanker (for some reason, I love that expression), daft, torch, lift, flat, bugger, chips.

There's more to my list, so much more.....

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm glad for England. Some of my ancestors are from there.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
1. The_Gazumper lives there

2. Eastenders. Period.

3. The yummy accents. <3

4. Words like "manky" and "blimey" and... anything gazumpy says. *dreamy sigh*

5. Did I mention The_Gazumper lives there?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I've never been, but I really, really want to go!

Because I've never been, I can't really make a list, and if I did, I'd probably look like an ignorant American prattling on about accents and whatnot. ^^;;

I've never been out of the US...I really need to travel. ;-;

1 - 20 of 36 Posts