VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted, I haven't seen any talk on here about musicals, so I don't expect much of a reply, but I went to see the touring company of 42nd Street and it was fabulous. The tap dancing was just phenomenal... and what's nice is they hardly changed any of the choreography from the original that I learned when I was very young. (The audition number was exactly the same, a large portion of "We're In the Money" and some other things I recognized...)

It was a nice excursion, anyway. I haven't seen 42nd Street in ages. Up next (hopefully) is "The Fantastiks" and then if I can save up enough money, "The Producers."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice to see another musical theatre fan on here. I haven't been doing NEARLY enough theatregoing lately. I've mostly just been listening to my cast recordings over and over again, hehe.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay! I'm not alone!
I mostly go to community theater because that's what I can afford (and half the time I get in free because I know the cast or the director or the house manager... it helps budget-wise), but every once in a while I binge on the big L.A. shows until all my money runs out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've seen 42nd Street on Broadway twice (2nd time was just 2 weeks ago), and I absolutely loved it. God, it makes me want to learn how to tap dance so bad...lol I've seen about 20 B'way plays in the last few years (I normally get discount tickets) and that one is my favorite. I love the music, the sets, the costumes, and the dancing most of all.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So learn!
I've been tap dancing for about 22 years at this point... it's so fun! I'm jealous that you're so close to Broadway... I've only seen one show on Broadway, and it wasn't all that good. Oh well. I'll get out there again someday.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know... it's an expensive habit to have.
I didn't see the Lion King when it was out, but I heard the dancing was excellent.

Someday I'll be one of those high-brow season ticket holders for the symphony, the ballet, the opera, and everything that comes through the Ahmanson.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mskedi

So learn!
I've been tap dancing for about 22 years at this point... it's so fun! I'm jealous that you're so close to Broadway... I've only seen one show on Broadway, and it wasn't all that good. Oh well. I'll get out there again someday.
I'm curious - which B'way play did you see?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I played in a pit orchestra for 42nd street about three years ago and it was really fun. It has some great jazzy music that is really fun to play. However I think my all time favorite musical to play for would have to be "West Side Story with Brigadoon and Oklahoma! coming in at close seconds.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mmm... I love West Side Story. I've kinda been overdosed on Oklahoma!, though it's a solid show. The last production of Brigadoon I saw out here was horrid. I'll have to see another good production before I like it again.

The Broadway show I saw and didn't like was Miss Saigon. It was performed well, but the writing (music and dialogue) didn't do much for me. I would have rather seen, well, anything else. I forget what all was playing back then (I went to New York in 1995), but I know I could have hit Les Mis or something.

What I'd really love to see again is The Student Prince. It seems like no one puts that on anymore.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have never seen Miss Siagon, but my mom and sister did and neither one of them liked it. I saw Les Mes when it came to Toledo and it was really awesome. I am sure that it was nothing like it would have been in new york, but it was pretty cool. I also love Phantom of the Opera - i have seen that one three times - I could never get tired of it. Oh and I did do the obligatory viewing of cats just so I could say I did

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
POTO was fun. I saw it a bunch of times while it was out here. Apparently it's coming out again. I don't know if I'll catch it, though.

Ugh. Cats. How did it play so long?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Another theatre buff here! I perform in our Community Theatre group as often as I can. Recently did "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" and auditions for "Hair" are coming up next month. Did LOTS of musical theatre in college. I've never been to Broadway, and I feel the loss. I always end up bluffing my way thru conversations about the latest musicals and such....

I sometimes wish I lived in a major city so I could see all the shows I've only heard about.....

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Originally, I was one of the Proteans, but halfway thru the run of the show, I had to take over the role of Miles Gloriosus (with four days to rehearse it! ackk! )

fun show.........

I'm currently doing Shakespeare in the Park, playing Benedick in "Much Ado About Nothing"

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I'm going to have the Miles Gloriosus song running through my head all day.

Our Shakespeare company's doing "Much Ado" this summer, also. Every year I tell myself I'm going to audition, but I have yet to actually do so. Last summer everyone in my family but me was in a musical together, but I worked during the rehearsals, so there was no way for me to do it, too. Ugh. Why did I get a real job?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm going to see Hedwig and The Angry Inch in Hartford in a few weeks. Anyone heard of it? It's become less obscure what with the movie and all.

I want to go see RENT again, too...for the sixth time *blushes*.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts