VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the same thing, but apparently they rescued them once, and they quickly returned. Apparently the water gets shallow or something, confuses them, and its common for them to become stranded.... not sure how they will euthanize them...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

If they can reach them to euthanize them why cant they put them back out in the water
When wales get beached, the increased pressure their mass has on their organs from not being suspended in water causes irreversible organ damage. It's often that when a beached whale has been rescued and everyone cheers, high fives and goes home, it just slowly dies as it's organs fail.
It's more humane to just end it quickly if it's too late.
A whale got beached in a harbour near my hometown and they managed to "rescue" it only for it to die slowly over a day.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofLimits View Post

When wales get beached, the increased pressure their mass has on their organs from not being suspended in water causes irreversible organ damage. It's often that when a beached whale has been rescued and everyone cheers, high fives and goes home, it just slowly dies as it's organs fail.
It's more humane to just end it quickly if it's too late.
A whale got beached in a harbour near my hometown and they managed to "rescue" it only for it to die slowly over a day.
Yup.
Not to mention it's extremely difficult to get them back in the water in the first place if they wash up even a smidge too far inland.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts