VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no real cravings to have it again either. I've cut out nearly all egg/products and milk. Still been eating a lot of cheese for the last 31 days. Is it too soon for me to try to completely drop all dairy? I don't cook much, so im a little worried about finding all vegan meals to eat.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Congrats.
Im 10 months into it last week.
I have cut back on eggs, I have maybe 1 a week now (not including eggs used to make bread etc...) I have not given up cheese, but I have discovered a vegan cheese that is not too bad.

I think its time to give up whatever you are going to give up when you are ready to give it up... Does that make any sense?

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Congradulations!
I found it easy to give up meat, and really hard to give up cheese! What worked for me was learning to eliminate ingrediants while still allowing cheese on certain things like pizza, and then I worked on giving it up altogether.
I've found a vegan cheese Daiya to be quite good. I esp. like the cheddar flavor for a typical grilled cheese-I really can't tell the difference. Fancy cheeses you just have to wait to lose your taste for!
Pizza can be very good without cheese. Topping like artichoke hearts, green and black olives, mushrooms, carmelized onions, roasted red pepper....

·
Registered
908 Posts
First of all, congrats!

Second, why don't you just find out if you're ready to drop dairy by trying it? I didn't really feel ready for veganism when I said, "Sod this, I'll just give it a try and learn from the experience". I was vegan for 8 months, went back to vegetarian, now I've been vegan since last November. It's all a learning experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just gave up all dairy (Im a big big big big cheese and yogurt eater)...and meat..EXCEPT I ate one can of sardines 5 days ago..and 2 times I gave in and ate about a cup of ice cream(it was Baskin Robins Peanut Butter Chocolate and Jamaican Almond Mocha Fudge)..

But in my mind if I put that can of sardines and the 2 cups of ice cream on the table..next to what I WOULD have normally eaten in the last 12 days???????Its a RADICAL change for me..It woud be sitting next to at least 12 containers of yogurt..and probaby 4 or 5 lbs of meat..and 3 lbs of cheese..

Anyway Im sure I will relapse again ...but Im still happy I have been able to turn probably 40% of my diet being meat and dairy to under 5%...

Dallas

·
Registered
221 Posts
Congratulations! I'm on day 78. I can't believe it has gone by so fast. I'm not vegan yet, but I'm making more vegan choices than not. I don't cook any non-vegan meals and I'll really only eat cheese when I'm out. This month I'm on a tight budget so I won't be eating out unless someone else is treating me. I plan to cook two grains and two beans each week, make a couple of dressings, and pre-cut veggies. Then I can make grain/bean/veggie bowls easily. I'll also be making a crockpot soup. You don't have to cook fancy to cook.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku View Post

I have no real cravings to have it again either. I've cut out nearly all egg/products and milk. Still been eating a lot of cheese for the last 31 days. Is it too soon for me to try to completely drop all dairy? I don't cook much, so im a little worried about finding all vegan meals to eat.
I'm new to this too. After reading the China Study I just went cold turkey... no meat, eggs, dairy, processed food, added oil etc. for a couple of months now. I loved cheese but just threw what I had in the fridge out and haven't bought any more. Haven't really missed it at all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

heh, heh... my sis-in-law has been a veggie for 10-15 years. I always thought she was crazy, now I realize that I was.
Isn't it funny when you compare your beliefs before and after going veg*n? Whenever an omni is getting on my nerves, I try to think back to how I was, how I would have reacted, and it calms me down. I was crazy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

Congratulations! I'm on day 78. I can't believe it has gone by so fast. I'm not vegan yet, but I'm making more vegan choices than not. I don't cook any non-vegan meals and I'll really only eat cheese when I'm out. This month I'm on a tight budget so I won't be eating out unless someone else is treating me. I plan to cook two grains and two beans each week, make a couple of dressings, and pre-cut veggies. Then I can make grain/bean/veggie bowls easily. I'll also be making a crockpot soup. You don't have to cook fancy to cook.
Congrats!

I know this isnt the recipe board but along the lines of what you are saying I made soup last night thats enough to eat off of for one meal a day for my family of 4 for 3 days..LOL!!...and its basciacally vegetable broth with oninons garlic..green cabbaage,carrotts,collard greens,navy beans,whole wheat bow tie pasta,and tomatos and italian seasoning its AWESOME!...Its a "bowl full of vitamins"..

I even ate it cold today so as not to have to reheat it and kill more nutrients..and its taste GREAT even cold.!!So no..no need to be fancy..I made couscous stuffed roasted tomatos the night before with all kinds of goodies like pine nuts and raisons and spinach...that took me an hour and a half just to make four servings...sure it was delicious and it looked like a picture out of a gormet cook book...but this soup to me is JUST as good and its more more "down to earth as far as it goes a LONG way!!!

Dallas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts