VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Whats the diff. between peta and peta2.

2. Whats your views on some of the acts that peta does concering children.

(Showing kids at McDonalds pics of dead animals, and throwing blood on children)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
PeTA and PeTA2 are the same organization, but like Janie said, PeTA2 is the activist website for teenagers.

PeTA does what it does. I'm personally not a supporter, but they choose how they send their message. If they want to throw red paint on people or blood [where they would get mass amounts of blood is beyond me] or whatever is their choice. The supporters of the organization choose to participate in this kind of way.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
It's ashame that they choose to get their message across like that. What they stand for is good, but they give it all a bad name and give people more amo against such a good cause.

I choose how I want to educate my children about this topic. And if anyone ever dared to treat my child like that, they would be in jail!

·
Registered
177 Posts
1) What Veggiejanie said

2) I don't particularly care about kids specifically, but I question PETA's tactics in general because I think they get in the way of people hearing their message. Of course, most people aren't listening anyway, so maybe any attention is better than none?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
PETA does not throw blood on children. In fact, I have never encountered reports of any organization specifically singling out children to douse with blood (or paint).

Indeed, the image of the blood-hurling activist is essentially one of urban legend that arose in the 1980s. In the late 80's, CBS News interviewed 200 fur-wearing women to find out if they had recieved physical harrassment. None had ever been painted on. So while there probably were some actual incidents involving dye-splashed fur wearers, clearly, it did not happen as often as many believed.

It is true that PETA has used red paint in some of its demonstrations, but the paint or dye is usually painted on the activists themselves during street theater, or it is tossed on inanimate objects, rather than people.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I live in the same are and frequently drive by the mega-PETA building. It's.... odd, in my opinion. They don't do nearly as much as you would think, locally. In fact, I rarely ever see anything about PETA here in Norfolk. It's sad really. They don't do much to promote the causes they support in a positive way and the things they are doing they aren't doing "at home". Grrrr

But yeah.... you got the answers to your questions

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
There's plenty of threads on here discussing PeTA and the allegations that they kill animals.

There were even 2 people from the organization arrested for illegal dumping. Yes, PeTA is up to something. Every organization is up to something.

PeTA also supports "liberation" of pets and the eradication of pit bulls. You need to look into an organizations entire agenda and decide if you want to support everything they support.

If not then you don't support them. Easy as that. If so, support them. Still pretty easy right?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The "kills animals" website is a project of the "Center for Consumer Freedom," a lobbying arm of major corporations like Tyson and Philip Morris. Basically, they attack any groups that seek to impede how they do business. Search "Berman" or "CCF" on veggieboards and you'll find countless threads discussing this group.

It is also a common misconception that PETA tells pet keepers to abandon their pets into the wild. While it is true that PETA holds the opinion that humanity should not continue to create domestic animals, they are as opposed to abandoning those pets currently in existance as any other humane group. The pit bull issue is up for debate. It is true that they favor breeding bans, i.e. making it illegal to breed pits but "grandfathering" those already in existance. Some pit rescue groups have charged, however, that Peta does not do much in the way of helping these dogs get adopted.

·
Registered
0 Posts
1) What Veggiejanie said.

2) I wish they could come over here and show photos of dead animals at McDonald's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

The pit bull issue is up for debate. It is true that they favor breeding bans, i.e. making it illegal to breed pits but "grandfathering" those already in existance. Some pit rescue groups have charged, however, that Peta does not do much in the way of helping these dogs get adopted.
How many times must I say this! It's not the dogs, it's the owners that make dogs dangerous. Same with children: nine times out of ten it's how they've been brought up!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Ok so as for the young couple that "dumped" animals last year here's the actual story. They're local here and I have friends that knew them.

PETA does kill animals- sorry if you didn't know that. But here's what goes on: PETA routinely searches out awful facilities (usually no-kill facilities) like shelters and city pounds. When they find one that has terrible conditions for the animals they will send someone out there and remove the neglected and terminally ill animals and euthanize them.

So what happened with the couple and the reason it got so much media attention was that when they arrived at the shelter in N.C. the situation was dreadful. It was a no kill facility and the animals were thrown food over a high fence where they were all crammed together- it might as well have been a factory farm except that these animals had no chance of ending the suffering unless they just died of starvation. The bigger animals would push through and get everything. The state of the animals was dreadful. There was no medical attention given and dead animals could be left for a day or more unnoticed.

When the couple saw this they were so distraught that instead of following procedure they paid for as many animals as they could and put them in the van, euthanized them, and dumped them in a dumpster.

Was it right? Was it wrong? I dunno... but I do know this... after PETA immediately dismissed these two people from their positions and pretty much left them to hang for the media, I was pissed off. The ended up helping with the legal fees (a mere 10%) and that was it. They released statements that completely alienated these two compassionate people and walked away. That was wrong!

One more thing: PETA has mixed policies with Pit Bulls. Locally, the only thing that PETA sponsors that is (IMO) helpful is their Pit Assistance. I adopted a Pit from the pound 4 years ago, she's like my daughter and could not be here without their assistance program. She was set to be put down, I had visited her every day for two weeks but really couldnt afford her. They have a program that helps Pits get fixed and sets the owner up with a few little startup items, including city laws regarding Pits and a booklet about Pit ownership. With this, I took Izzy home and was able to get her a good check up and comply with my city standards. She lives in luxury now that Im well off, own a home with a decent fenced in back yard, and am marrying a man that adores her. Heres a pic of the cuties sleeping- Love them!

Anyway, PETAs not all bad, not all good, but they definitely are not well represented. Sorry this got so long, Pits and those two PETA employees are a hot topic for me

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm glad I FINALLY know the story about those pics. I agree - peta is good and not-so-good, but that's true, I think, of every organization. It's true of every person, for that matter. I think PETA is mostly good, though. They've done soooo much for animals.

And no, PETA doesn't want anyone to let their domestic critters loose in the wild. They feel that they should have never been domesticated in the first place, a sentiment I somewhat agree with. Nonetheless. they're here now, so we must take care of them. And I don't think that's entirely a bad thing either, as people thrive with companion animals they love and the animals thrive with them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

PETA does kill animals- sorry if you didn't know that. But here's what goes on: PETA routinely searches out awful facilities (usually no-kill facilities) like shelters and city pounds. When they find one that has terrible conditions for the animals they will send someone out there and remove the neglected and terminally ill animals and euthanize them.
exactly!

Of COURSE theyre going to euthanise a hell of a lot of animals - why would they be rescuing something if it was in a great state.

I hate when omnis start going on about peta at any hint of animal rights/veganism - like the whole knut thingy automatically someone went off on how peta kills animals. they had nothing to do with it so o_O. I think if youre going to start bashing something at least know what the hell youre talking about, not just quoting petakillsanimals.com or some other propaganda site.

that said

I think thier hearts in the right place, but they have very questionable methodology. which leads to people not taking them or any animal rights groups seriously. which pisses me off.

what the hell was the naked speech trying to prove?

actually all the nudity!

so all in all i dont support peta

and ive DEFINATELY seen photographs of fur coat wearers having paint lobbed on them, whether it was peta or not i have no idea - but something like that has happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts