VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a Bernard Matthews farm in suffolk. The thousands of others are being culled right now!!!!. Was on the news this morning.

The farm holds 10,000 in each shed.
I will try to send over a link later.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
We're watching this on BBC now. The restricted zone is even wider. Ugh.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just read that on the BBC website....

I don't know what's worse, being killed as a precaution, or being forced to live in a Bernard Matthews shed where they treat the turkeys like pieces of s**t.

Poor buggers. I hate Bernard Matthews. Every time I hear that 'Bootiful' TV advert I want to kick the TV! What is 'bootiful' about cruelty and eating a corpse? *throws up*

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Not to overshadow, but rather to commiserate, when I was at the gym today I saw that, according to the closed-captioning, there is an outbreak of bird flu in British Columbia also and they planned to cull 280,000 turkeys. Awesome.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I agree with helenxoxo I just hope the poor souls are more humanly killed than the slaughterhouse.

Its been confirmed it is asian bird flu. Can't bear to watch the news now.

DEFRA will be at a all time panic now and ordereing birds to be killed right, left and centre!!. Bloody DEFRA!!!!!.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
The turkeys are being gassed. So, in theory, I'd think their deaths now would be better than their planned deaths.

It's just sad that a big part of the reason they're being killed is because factory farming is allowed to exist. 160,000 birds..jeezus.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
These turkeys were going to die anyway. So lamenting over THIS particular way of dying is absolutely pointless.

In a way, it is good news because this screws up the exploiter's lives a bit. Anything that screws up the exploiters' lives is good news. I hope actually that bird flu spreads and that a lot of these people go bankrupt and end up living in poverty.

Maybe they will even CATCH the birdflu and die from it.

But of course, the stupid government will probably end up by bailing them out, because the stupid government wants to make sure that they can also eat turkey for their next Christmas dinner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just heard this too. I am quite fed up with everybody suddenly slightly panicking about bird flu all over again.

I don't want to sound like an extremist, but I kind of hope this gets worse. I don't want chickens to die, but If the flu becomes more evident, then people will be more repelled from buying meat, and hence meat production will lessen.

Poor chickens...

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Anti-Vegan View Post

I don't want to sound like an extremist,
There's nothing wrong with being an extremist. Being an extremist just means that you walk your talk ALL the way, and not half the way to please the masses.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
I saw on the BBC website that they are "culling" (what a stupid word) 160'000 birds on ONE farm.

This is one helluva big "farm".

Reminds me more of a concentration camp, and they are now implementing Final Solution methods. They are gassing those poor creatures after all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What an indictment on us that we force animals to live in such horrid misery that death may be a merciful release.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are 10,000 in each shed!!.

I agree about the comments about them being gassed, I just hope it was a more humane method than a slaughterhouse.

I wish in a way that all turkeys and hens are killed then it would put an end to their continuing rearing and slaughtering for human consumption.

I have put on a forum this morning that factory farming is a 'animal holocaust'. Bet that will upset some folks as it a health forum not a ar/veggie forum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Theres no point in hoping that anyone goes bankrupt from the bird flu epidemic. The government has already promised to compensate farmers for culled stock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anti-Anti-Vegan said:
I don't want to sound like an extremist, but I kind of hope this gets worse. I don't want chickens to die, but If the flu becomes more evident, then people will be more repelled from buying meat, and hence meat production will lessen.

I agree that the meat production might lessen. But take BSE (mad cow) even though there was a huge scare, about 170 deaths, and the cattle industry did motify some of it's more atrocious practices the consumption of beef didn't see a huge decline in the long run. After it seemed safe again, many people who were worried about the virus went back to consuming beef. It's a hard call to make to what might happen in the aftermath of the avian flu. But personally I wouldn't want to see it worsen due to the fear of it mutating and becoming air-borne.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Anti-Vegan View Post

But personally I wouldn't want to see it worsen due to the fear of it mutating and becoming air-borne.
Would it matter if a few million people died? Objectively speaking, not subjectively. Of course, no-one wants to see their loved ones die and having the economies screwed up for a while, but in the long term, it would just be a drop in the ocean and in a few hundred years, will just be a paragraph (if that) in the history books.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is very true Diana. I completely agree. My saying that I wouldn't want to see it become air-borne is selfishly motivated. I don't want to die and I don't want to see my family die. But in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't matter at all. At some point there is going to be a untreatable virus that will wipe out a large portion of the worlds population, it's just a simple matter of time until it happens.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts