VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all so my bf is a civil war reenactor and every time we are in a civil war town or whatever I love love looking at the old fashioned cookbooks. I also have collected a few old recipes from a blog I found. Anyway, I found this complicated orange cake that looks amazing, but is of course not vegan. The butter and milk are easy to replace but...the eggs and cream? What would best to replicate those in this particular recipe. If you can help thank you so so much. Here's the recipe, be warned it's long:
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]
Quote:
*Orange Cake with Orange Filling and Orange Frosting*

-Orange Filling-
double-boiler
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
grated rind from 1/2 orange
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg; slightly beaten
1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature

Mix ingredients in order given. Cook ten to fifteen minutes in double boiler or until filling has thickened; stirring constantly.
Cool in a refrigerator. Spread filling over bottom half of cooled, cooked cake.
-----------------------------------------------
-Orange Cake-
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
9" round cake pan
wire-rack
1 piece of parchment paper cut for the bottom of the round cake pan
1 tablespoon unsalted butter or lard to grease sides and bottom of pan
1/4 cup all-purpose flour to flour sides and bottom of pan
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs; well beaten
1/2 cup whole milk
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons homemade baking powder

Cream the butter, add sugar gradually, eggs well beaten; and milk. Then add flour mixed and sifted with the homemade baking powder. Grease and flour 9"round cake pan.
Place a pre-cut sheet of parchment paper in the bottom of the cake pan. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
Place the cake on a wire rack to cool. After the cake has cooled, place the top of the wire rack over the top of the cake and invert.
Slice the cake in half horizontally with a long sharp knife. Carefully remove the top half of the cake onto a plate.
Carefully spread the Orange Filling over the top of the bottom half of the cooled cake. Place the top half back on the cake.
----------------------------------------------
-Orange Frosting-
Grated rind of 1 orange
1 teaspoon good brandy
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 large egg yolk; slightly beaten ( if you don't want to use raw eggs, you can use a 2" piece of banana instead)
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream

Add grated orange rind to brandy, lemon juice, and the orange juice. Let it stand for fifteen minutes.
Use a fine strainer and strain the grated orange rind, fruit juices, and brandy mixture into a small bowl. Discard the grated rind.
Place the slightly beaten egg yolk in a large glass bowl. Gradually add the fruit juices and brandy mixture to the eggs.
Add the confectioners sugar a little at a time until it is incorporated. Next, add the 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
Stir until the ingredients are just mixed. Spread the top and sides of the cooled cake. Decorate with Candied Orange Slices. Refrigerate any leftovers.
------------------------------------------------
-Candied Orange Slices-
1 large navel orange sliced 1/4 inch thick crosswise with a sharp knife (approximately 6 to 8 slices)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups water

Combine the water and sugar in a medium bowl. Pour into a very clean large skillet and bring to a boil until the sugar is dissolved.
Add the orange slices in a single layer and cook over a medium-low heat; gently turning the orange slices occasionally.
Heat the sugar liquid and orange slices until the orange skin and whites are are translucent; about 40 minutes.
When the orange slices are translucent, remove the pan from the heat and let the orange slices cool in the pan.
Place parchment paper under a wire rack. Transfer the orange slices from the pan to the rack with a spatula and cool completely.
You can also place the orange slices on a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake in a 200 degree oven for about an hour until the slices are dried.
Decorate the top of your Orange Cake with the cooled slices or place them in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
[/SPOILER]

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Yum looks good!

For the egg in the filling I would use 1-2 tbsp cornstarch (tapioca flour or arrowroot) for the butter use any fat like Earth balance, coconut oil, or another kind of oil.
For the eggs in the cake ener-g would work, so would extra baking soda and a tbsp of white vinegar to the batter, applesauce can replace the eggs but the cake won't be as fluffy, ground flax would work too.
Raw eggs in frosting is disgusting and dangerous! Use the banana sub as suggested and regular plant milk can replace the cream or even just water.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
for the filling, I think you could substitute arrowroot, silken tofu, or agar agar for the egg (to equal 1/4 cup)..that egg is going to be used for thickening and color.

I'm not sure about the cake part, since it's 2 eggs for the cake, you could try the enerG egg replacer first. That's where I'd start.

For the frosting, it says you can use banana for the yolk, so that's no problem, and for the cream, that could be just milk or use soy or coconut creamer....not too hard really.

luvyourmother....I was looking up the ratios for the agar, and then we posted almost the same stuff!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! Those look like pretty good substitutions, oh I didn't even see it suggested banana, I guess raw egg in the 1800s wasn't considered.
I'm so clueless when it comes to baked goods.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
In the cake I'd use soygurt, because soygurt makes cake moist. 1/2 cup replaces 2 eggs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts