VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, so good. I occasionally still have meat cravings, so I eat a meat substitute instead.

Although...tofu and me are not clicking. Maybe I'm not preparing it right. I've marinated it overnight, then cooked it up in a stir fry.

It still tasted bland. I dont get it. Is there something I could marinate it in that makes it taste good?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hi! Congrats for going this long as veg!

When you prepare the tofu, do you press it before marinating it? Tofu tends to retain the water that it is stored in, which makes it difficult to absorb anything else unless it is pressed out of it.

How else have you tried preparing it? I am not a big tofu fan myself so I cook it up as "scrambled" tofu as I've found that it absorbs spices better than marinades.

You can also buy tofu that is pre-flavoured, such as herb-tofu which I find has more of a kick to it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

Hi! Congrats for going this long as veg!

When you prepare the tofu, do you press it before marinating it? Tofu tends to retain the water that it is stored in, which makes it difficult to absorb anything else unless it is pressed out of it.

How else have you tried preparing it? I am not a big tofu fan myself so I cook it up as "scrambled" tofu as I've found that it absorbs spices better than marinades.

You can also buy tofu that is pre-flavoured, such as herb-tofu which I find has more of a kick to it.
Okay, thanks!

I'll try both ideas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

did you press the tofu first? That makes it more spongey so it can suck up the marinade.
How do I press tofu?

Do I basically smush it down until its no longer a block? Do I break it up into crumbles or something?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Congratulations!

I buy sachets of "flavour it" stuff for my tofu. I don't know what's available where you are, but this stuff is basically a glaze/marinade for meat. It comes in flavours like chinese, garden mint, hot and spicy, barbeque - I just cube the tofu, but the tofu and glaze in a plastic bag, shake it around, and pan fry.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesGuy View Post

How do I press tofu?

Do I basically smush it down until its no longer a block? Do I break it up into crumbles or something?
Slice it into 8 pieces, lay it on a counter (spread out), put a cutting board on top of it and weigh it down with a gallon jug of water or a kitchen-aid or something heavy. wait about a half hour then pat it dry. Use extra-firm tofu when you do this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been vegetarian for 6 years and have never cared for tofu, except as a dip or in desserts. I prefer seitan, (a wheat glueton protein), and tempeh, to tofu. However I have not allowed the water to drain from it completely, so I will have to try that. Whenever I've made tofu stir fries the tofu has had that unpleasant slimy texture. Maybe that's been my problem.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Congrats on being veg!

I like to bake my marinated tofu because it really seals in the flavor, plus it gives tofu a chewy texture. I usually marinate overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, freshly chopped garlic and ginger, and sweetener (agave nectar or maple syrup, usually). Then I bake it for about an hour, flipping once, in a 350 degree oven.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Congratulations! I used to hate tofu as well, but now I eat it pretty much every day. My biggest problem with it used to be the texture, so if that bothers you, tofu scramble is a great idea because it completely changes the texture and makes it a lot less intimidating. My favourite tofu dish, though, is General Tao's Tofu from vegweb.com: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8769.0 (Someone posted the recipe in here as well a little while ago.) The recipe is a lot simpler than it looks, and it is sooooo yummy. Good luck on your tofu journey!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Congrats

I've been vegetarian for about 11-12 years now and I've *just* started to like tofu. So don't feel bad if you don't like it right away. For me it was something I just had to keep exposing myself to in order to get used to the flavour. Now I really like it. I made some really yummy tofu the other day. First, you have to press it, like Nigel and Meatless have explained. I usually cut it into eight (to get in even slices, cut in half, then in half again, etc), lay it on some paper towel and press some paper towel on it and keep doing that until it's mostly dry.

The other day I played around with a marinade and this is what I did:

I made some veg 'chicken' bouillon at double strength (1 cube in one cup of water instead of 2 cups). I added some (1-2 tbsp) low sodium soy sauce and sprinkled in some spices: curry powder, ginger, and some 'fajita seasoning' (found it in the spice aisle, and it has no sodium, which is great). I thought it would be a strange combination but it turned out great. I let it sit overnight, then I sprinkled some more of the seasoning on top, placed them seasoned side down in a heated pan with a touch of oil, added more seasoning on top (the unseasoned side) and flipped them wehn they had browned a bit. These were really tasty, even better the next day, and GREAT on sandwiches! I can't wait to make more

ETA: If you don't like the texture, try freezing the tofu first - just toss it in the freezer in the package for a day or two and then put it in the fridge to thaw. Also, make sure you get the extra firm kind, and try different brands - some are firmer than others (I like the White Wave kind int he red package)

·
Banned
34 Posts
I never marinate tofu - I just put it in last, surrounded by spicy, flavorful bits.

A typical meal might include stir fried chopped zuccini, Onion, garlic, peppers and broccoli and cubes of tofu over rice with a curry sauce. Or, simpler, just Miso Soup with tofu, scallions, and rice noodles.

The tofu retains it's mild flavor, but - it goes well with the other ingredients. This is how I've had it prepared in asian meals, as well. The idea of pretending it's a meat substitute, or somehow "Westernise" the taste, weirds me out a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts