VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The United States plans to take in about 10,000 Burundian refugees -- many of whom fled their landlocked Central African nation as far back as 1972 -- from Tanzania, the U.S. State Department said on Tuesday.

"We are planning to offer permanent resettlement to a group of Burundian refugees who've been in western camps in Tanzania," State Department spokesman Tom Casey told reporters, saying an estimated 10,000 people would be offered residence.
The rest, along with a video: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/18/bur...eut/index.html

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Can we please resettle the Katrina people first?? How many thousands of those people are still in non permanent situations? And why not just keep our Mexican illegals who have been here for so long instead of going across the world and picking up 10,000 people? Why don't we just take in the first 10,000 people on the immigrant waiting list from all over the world? So what game is the government playing now? Am I being suspecious again?

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Can we please resettle the Katrina people first?? How many thousands of those people are still in non permanent situations? And why not just keep our Mexican illegals who have been here for so long instead of going across the world and picking up 10,000 people? Why don't we just take in the first 10,000 people on the immigrant waiting list from all over the world? So what game is the government playing now? Am I being suspecious again?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I want more details! This is good for the refugees, but I agree completely with Life2k. And what about when they get here? Do they just... let them go? Get them all housing and jobs? Surely they don't ALL speak English, right? I've just never heard of anything like this before, so I don't know how it works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts