VeggieBoards banner

Tubal Ligation - Information, experiences?

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Cwils 
#1 ·
This is something I'm looking into in the next couple years. Does anyone have any experience talks, or anything they can tell me about after the procedure?

If you can tell me about the process to go about getting it covered, that would be good

Anyone from BC Canada who knows our process would also be appreciaated. I'm talking to a doctor for different reasons tomorrow, so I'll check in with what she says if anyone's interested, but I'm really just looking to hear what any of you say about your experience or that of those you know.

See less See more
#4 ·
I had one, but it was done immediately after my daughter was born via C-section, so it was not really painful or anything. The people I know that have had it without being combined with childbirth don't seem to knocked out by it. Have you had children yet? Some doctors are reluctant to do it if you have not had children and are young.

#5 ·
OP, it's funny to read this thread with the avatar you now have!

So, I had one done in my early 20's. I had 1 child at that time (still do
). I had to go through a psych eval to get it done! I had to sign so many papers and it was a challenge to get it done since I was so young and only had 1 child.

I am glad I did it, ultimately.

Still, there are times I wish I had not altered my body surgically.

Healing wasn't too much of a challenge. I felt pretty normal within a few weeks. The surgeries now are even more advanced, so you'd probably recover quite quickly, especially if you're at a "healthy" weight and size etc.

#6 ·
I'm still young and no kids, so there's pretty much no chance they'll give me one (a lot of places say 30 or three kids, which I think is kind of insane). When I'm in my late twenties, I'm hoping it'll be easier. Still, I wanted to see what the rest of you all might have to say, and any experience with the things like psych evaluations or refusals. One of my managers had one when she was only about eighteen, and while i certainly would appreciate finding a doctor as lenient as that, I doubt it's happening.

I am going to ask my doctor about it now, though, so that later when they probably will make me do psych evaluations they can see that it's consistent.

#7 ·
I had one at 39 after my 2nd, emergency c-section. I had 3 pregnancies, all complicated, and the one in the middle ended in miscarriage. After being blessed with 2 healthy kids, I was more than happy to get my tubes done after the c-section. I think it's not a decision to take lightly, but it is one that I am glad for myself that I did.

#8 ·
I had one done almost 20 years ago. For me it wasn't a very good experience, but that was because of the doctor involved.
I didn't know the doctor very well and when I mentioned I was thinking about it, he signed me up to get it done within a few days. Legally I was supposed to sign a consent form and then he had to wait 30 day before doing the surgery, but he backdated the form instead.

I had second thoughts when I got to the hospital and there was a room full of women also getting it done that morning. He was doing it like an assembly line. I thought it was too late to cancel so I went through with it. He said I would have a tiny scar in my belly button, but instead he cut me open straight across my abdomen (probably because he still had a dozen women to do). Most doctors when they see the scar think I had a cesarean. Anyway he did a terrible job and I've had problems ever since and ended up having to take birth control pills on top of it.

I hope that doesn't scare you as it is rare. If I could go back and do it over, I would still get the procedure done, just with a different doctor.

#9 ·
My mother had this done after she had my sister (I think she was around 27 years old at the time, she had some trouble conceiving initially because of tube issues).

She ended up having an ectopic pregnancy that almost killed her after that!

Certainly, that doesn't happen to everyone...but it is a possible complication!!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

So, I had one done in my early 20's. I had 1 child at that time (still do
). I had to go through a psych eval to get it done! I had to sign so many papers and it was a challenge to get it done since I was so young and only had 1 child.
They still do this for women in my state (make you sign tons of paperwork making you consent to the procedure before they can do it). My friend's mother is an OB/Gyn and was talking about how silly all the paperwork is.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

I had one done almost 20 years ago. For me it wasn't a very good experience, but that was because of the doctor involved.
I didn't know the doctor very well and when I mentioned I was thinking about it, he signed me up to get it done within a few days. Legally I was supposed to sign a consent form and then he had to wait 30 day before doing the surgery, but he backdated the form instead.

I had second thoughts when I got to the hospital and there was a room full of women also getting it done that morning. He was doing it like an assembly line. I thought it was too late to cancel so I went through with it. He said I would have a tiny scar in my belly button, but instead he cut me open straight across my abdomen (probably because he still had a dozen women to do). Most doctors when they see the scar think I had a cesarean. Anyway he did a terrible job and I've had problems ever since and ended up having to take birth control pills on top of it.

I hope that doesn't scare you as it is rare. If I could go back and do it over, I would still get the procedure done, just with a different doctor.
OMG that is such a horrible story!! I'm so sorry you went through all that. I really hope this so called "doctor" is no longer practicing medicine.

ETA: I had to keep re reading your first sentence because I have always assumed you were in you were only around 20-21 yrs old!

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

OMG that is such a horrible story!! I'm so sorry you went through all that. I really hope this so called "doctor" is no longer practicing medicine.

ETA: I had to keep re reading your first sentence because I have always assumed you were in you were only around 20-21 yrs old!
Veg*ns never age.

#13 ·
I just had a tubal ligation a little over two weeks ago. I am fortunate to live in North Carolina....the two doctors that I spoke to about it both agreed to do it with no problem.....I can't imagine having to have a psychological eval to be "allowed" to do it. I am 37 and do not have any kids.

I had the procedure done in a surgery center as opposed to a hospital (because it was cheaper). I had to be there around 10am, had the surgery shortly after 12, and was home around 3:30. I had one little incision (probably around an inch in length) in my belly button, which, at this point, appears to be mostly healed. The doc that did mine did it using "filshie clips" which are like little titanium clamps. Before getting it done I read horror stories online about women being able to feel the clips, but I feel nothing. I had some pain (like cramps, most likely from them moving my uterus during surgery) the first night, and then a week or so of tenderness at the incision site, but other than that, I feel great.

#14 ·
Veg*ns never age.
[/quote]

True, true.
grin.gif

I have taken care of post-surgical women post tubal ligation, and they usually need minimal pain medicine and are up and walking within a few hours. They usually have a couple of tiny 1-2 cm incisions, one hidden in the naval usually.

I don't think there is much pain associated with it, though I notice my c-section/tubal patients seem to have more pain than the regular cesarean section women.

It is difficult to get approved for the surgery where I work if you are young and childless. Best of luck, and don't be shy about asking your health care workers to wash their hands before they touch you.
_/\_

#15 ·
I'm 22 and I finally found a doctor who agreed (to let me exercise my rights over my own body, how kind) and performed the procedure earlier this year. I got Essure, which is nonsurgical and I've had no problems at all with it. I would definitely recommend looking into it, but finding the right doctor may be a challenge, just don't give up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.