VeggieBoards banner

What anti vegan arguments do you get most often?

8K views 71 replies 46 participants last post by  Sane Disquisition 
#1 ·
1. Animals Deserve to die
2. It's the circle of life
3. Vegans don't get protein
4. Animals don't have feelings

#3 ·
God put animals on earth for us to eat.

Where do you get your protein/calcium? (My dad has even asked where I get my fats and oils, oh jeez.)

Food animals are dumb/ugly.

Animals aren't aware enough to really feel pain.

Lions eat animals so it's okay for me to eat them too.

Meat's too tasty to give up.

I don't want to know what happens (ignorance is bliss).

#4 ·
'Stop being so picky.'

#9 ·
1. Humans are meant to eat meat - we have canines
2. If we didn't eat them they would over populate the earth (there are so many things wrong with this argument)
3. By eating them we are giving their life a purpose
4. Veg*ns get no protein (I even got this when I ate eggs/cheese)
5. You're a girl you need iron

#10 ·
I like meat, I wouldn't be able to stop eating it...

And it makes me soooo angry, cause these were people aware of the cruelty animals are subject to.

#11 ·
I don't think anyone has actually ever said an anti-vegan argument to me actually - I guess I'm lucky!

In class discussions when I was back at school though, there was an interesting lesson when the teacher said "it's wrong to kill an animal" and we had to say if we agreed or disagreed, and the majority of the class agreed (not including me actually, but that's another story). Then someone else pointed out most of them ate meat/etc and they didn't really know what to say, most backed down. I guess my point is it seems to me like a lot of people simply don't think about it at all, rather than have anti-vegan points of veiw, they sympathise but they just don't want to follow through their thoughts to their logical conclusion.

#13 ·
There's a woman at work who sorta hopes that I will change my mind on this issue becasue it's too wierd. She'll say that this and that thing that I eat probably has some milk or eggs in it, implying that what I do is all fake and that I might as well stop. It's no big deal though, she's nice otherwise.

#15 ·
I've gotten a lot of questions, but I haven't really gotten many arguments. That being said, a guy I have classes with started saying for the sake of my future children I should eat meat when I get pregnant because veganism just isn't healthy, blah blah blah. The way he presented it REALLY pissed me off...

#16 ·
The best one I had was my housemate. He asked me (he started the conversation, not me!) if I wore wool. I said no. He then became really defensive (or aggressive, even) and said, "but my aunt and uncle run a sheep farm and they treat their aimals so well an it's really wrong for you to judge them without properly knowing them!" (Notice that all I had said up until this point was "no" in answer to his question.)

It's almost like they feel threatened by my choice, like they HAVE to defend their diet when I'm around. The argument I get most is:

Me: "No thanks, I'm a vegan"
Them: "But I like meat!"
Me:"What do you want, a medal?"

#23 ·
1. you're not changing anything
2. plants are alive too
3. pigs are ugly/dumb
4. cheese though...
5. I could never do it
6. cows love being milked
7. fish are ugly/dumb
8. if you eat fake meat, why not just eat real meat
9. you're not going to get enough protein
10. chickens are ugly/dumb

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I just got the "it's not natural" argument tonight...from somebody eating a fast food cheeseburger.

Which, you know, is totally natural.
One time at work, this woman Laurie said "I don't know how you vegetarians get by on all that processed junk!" "Yea, I know those antibiotic stuffed, hormone rich, filthy cholesterol ridden animals are good for the digestive tract's soul. Not to mention that almost everything you eat has soy in it too!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.