VeggieBoards banner

Interviews....

10K views 68 replies 29 participants last post by  dormouse 
#1 ·
Would you like to see them return?

If so, what would you like to see changed?

How can we increase participation in these threads?

Discuss amongst yourselves....

Attachment 13852
LL

See less See more
#5 ·
I thought participation was fine also, even though it slowed down a bit after the initial excitement.

Participation was automatically limited by the rule that we could only ask 2 or 3 questions, I forget how many it was. Before that rule was implemented the interviewees kept up with the flood and seemed to enjoy it - that's why they volunteered/agreed, because they wanted to be asked things. So I would definitely remove that and let people post as much as they want.

#8 ·
Yeah, I don't think there need to be many rules. I like the basic set of questionnaire to begin with, but after that, people should be able to ask as many questions as they feel like, especially if participation is low.

It's not like it costs anything to have these threads. Even if only 10 people are enjoying them, it's worth it!

#9 ·
Good to hear. There have been some complaints/concerns before, so that's why I'm asking this time around. The lack of participation just seems to be that the first couple of threads are really busy, and then it dies down some. The limit to questions was put in place because some folks were having a hard time keeping up. I think maybe if we did two (or three) questions at a time, that would be sufficient. Once your questions have been answered, then you could do more, something like that?

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Would you like to see them return?

If so, what would you like to see changed?

How can we increase participation in these threads?

Discuss amongst yourselves....

Attachment 13852
I would like to see them return. I rarely ask questions, because I'm not very original, and by the time I got around to the forums, my question had already been asked/answered.

BTW, love the attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

I enjoyed reading them. The one thing I can think of is to have something slightly more prominent to direct attention to the interview thread. I often skim over the Forum Information area and sometimes I overlook that.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Good to hear. There have been some complaints/concerns before, so that's why I'm asking this time around. The lack of participation just seems to be that the first couple of threads are really busy, and then it dies down some. The limit to questions was put in place because some folks were having a hard time keeping up. I think maybe if we did two (or three) questions at a time, that would be sufficient. Once your questions have been answered, then you could do more, something like that?
I like that idea. I never participated because I could never keep up with all the questions. I also had a habit of totally overlooking the thread also.

#12 ·
I have no interest in seeing them return. But other people seem to want to read them so they should probably be set up again. Although I'd be surprised if it didn't end up exactly the same as it has done all the other times. It just seems to be a silly cycle of setting them up at the request of the membership and then having to stop them due to lack of interest from the membership.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I have no interest in seeing them return. But other people seem to want to read them so they should probably be set up again. Although I'd be surprised if it didn't end up exactly the same as it has done all the other times. It just seems to be a silly cycle of setting them up at the request of the membership and then having to stop them due to lack of interest from the membership.
In all honesty, I completely agree. It always seems to happen the same way.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

I am not seeing this 'lack of interest' that is being described. Specific examples? There are no discernible patterns to me.

Average Views: ~3129.64
Average Replies: ~62.47

Those seem like good numbers to me.
Look at the number of replies from the first interviews in a series, and then look at the numbers towards the end.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Look at the number of replies from the first interviews in a series, and then look at the numbers towards the end.
Why would you expect I haven't done this? The first series seems to increase until a plateau; the second series swings up in the middle and then down; and, the third series swings up and the end at then drops down to where it started. It doesn't seem entirely consistent, and there isn't a large enough sample size to draw definitive conclusions. I will graph it in excel later, but I'm just not seeing this enormous drop. Even when it does drop at various points it seems to shoot up again just as easily.

Additionally, even though the amount of replies change more dramatically (although I don't think as dramatically as is suggested), the views stay relatively stable (there is more room for fluctuation here because we are dealing in the thousands). So, even if less people respond to certain interviews, it seems that they are still getting viewed a reasonably large number of times.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post

Why would you expect I haven't done this? The first series seems to increase until a plateau; the second series swings up in the middle and then down; and, the third series swings up and the end and then drops down to where it started. It doesn't seem entirely consistent, and there isn't a large enough sample size to draw definitive conclusions. I will graph it in excel later, but I'm just not seeing this enormous drop. Even when it does drop at various points it seems to shoot up again just as easily.
Thanks Farmrush!

#19 ·
Here are some quick maths, following your suggestion that I review the first and last interviews in each series. I have decided what falls into each series by the title, so feel free to correct me if this is inappropriate. For each series I take the average number of replies from the first two, and averages from the last two, and then compare them. If you want to argue different comparisons they can be addressed separately. I have listed them in chronological order.

1:
Start: 39.5
End: 69*

*there are only three in this series, so the last one has nothing to be summed with. If you take the middle value and sum them then the average becomes 58.

2:
Start: 80
End: 99

3:
Start: 27*
End: 35.5

*I took the value of "Interviews 2010" as the first in the series. They are both 27. If you do not include this value, the average becomes 50.5. If you take all three the average becomes 42.67.

---

These are not wildly different values imo. The averages from the first and last three are 49.3 and 34.7 respectively. Interviews have gone down in popularity, but I don't see the huge margin. This may just be a matter of spacing them out more (VB Star of the Month) and other suggested changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.