VeggieBoards banner

Some accidently vegan boots at Shoe Zone

9K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  csorthofeet 
#1 ·
I was on the look out for new ankle boots and Shoe Zone had several really decent accidently vegan styles ranging from £16.99-£24.99. If you need some boots check them out.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Its shame that the Vegan footwear people are finding is just cheap footwear.
Shops that cant afford to use leather use manmade materials, on the cheap end of things.
And even may advertise them as vegan, but the glue is probably animal derived.
It's the same here in the US. The Payless Shoes chain has long carried manmade (accidentally vegan?) shoes, but they're cheaply made and with cheap materials. I bought some manmade athletic shoes from them once. I figured I could break them in by wearing them to a museum exhibit, since I didn't plan to spend the whole day at the museum. My feet hurt after ONE hour wearing those shoes. I haven't worn them since.

So yeah, be careful of these stores that sell manmade shoes; you don't know what you're getting, really.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I'd warn against Shoe Zone in general... very poorly made and not good for your feet
Eugh no kidding. I bought some LOVELY boots from them last year, for £25. I couldnt believe my luck that I found such pretty boots for so cheap, but they lasted a whole 2 weeks. This was in the middle of winter, so my feet got VERY wet when the bottom almost fell off. I could literally wring my tights out. oh dear!

Last year I discovered a brand of shoe called Blowfish. They do some bloody awesome boots.
http://www.office.co.uk/search/keywo...ND-is-blowfish
they sell them on ASOS too, Bank, Sole Trader, and almost every shop in Camden market.

SOME are lined with leather, but most are leather-free. Theyre quite expensive, but so far have lasted. I wore my knee high blowfish boots constantly last winter, and aside from needing rehealing at the end of winter theyre in perfect condition. It had just started snowing last year when my shoezone ones broke, so I thought **** it and went and paid £80 for the blowfish ones i'd been eyeing up for months haha.

I just bought these (in brown) this weekend, for £55, after my dorothy perkins boots fell apart. never buy shoes in DP! the soles snap! ive had it happen to 3 pairs.
http://www.blowfishshoes.com/ItemSer...=499&subcat=24

Im sure everyone knows this already, but newlook are good for non-leather shoes that are reasonably good quality.

#10 ·
Quote:

Sorry to say this....again...but GLUE GLUE GLUE!
If the shoes contain animal derived glue (as most 'cheap' ones do) then they are not Vegan, accidentle or otherwise.
Sorry to be all RAR, but this is something that I take seriously.
I know that sometimes the glue might not be vegan but I am on a budget and can't spend money on expensive vegan shoes and boots a lot of the time. Most poorer vegans I know buy the cheap shoes (although I know that they may be unethically produced too.
)

I have bought a pair of trainers and a pair of boots from Vegetarian Shoes in Brighton and they are far superior in every way though.

#19 ·
I'll be honest--I hadn't thought about glue. I was thinking non leather. I have to have nice looking shoes/boots for work--not trainers--and I ordered some from some vegan shop (can't recall which) when we first moved to the UK and they didn't even make it through the first winter with all the walking we did. I just can't afford to pay £50-£70 for shoes that will wear out that fast.

Having said that--I know some of Shoe Zone's stuff is cheap--kinda like Payless shoes back home--but I have chosen carefully ones with a thick rubber sole and they have lasted. I bought a pair of tall winter boots 3 years ago and they are still going strong. I think this year will be their last, but they will have lasted 3 winters for £15. They are incredibly comfortable and supportive on my weak ankle.

Yes, I would like to buy a new expensive pair of vegan shoes every few months but our budget does not allow it.

I am sorry about not thinking of glue--just thinking of leather--but I still stand by my statement--if you look carefully you can find shoes there that will last. There were other non leather boots that I liked but they had a thin plastic-y sole that I knew wouldn't make it. Ones with a thick rubber sole will.

#20 ·
The trouble I'm finding (I'm not fussed about glue at this point) is getting shoes that aren't sweatshop made. I have a friend who's bought a bunch of RocketDog from eBay (and they do say that they're all vegan), but when I emailed them about the sweatshop issue, I got nada in response. Their shoes are made in China, which makes me incredibly uneasy unless there's some sort of independent verification.

I have two pair of trainers which are both very nearly falling apart. I really need to find a good pair of athletic shoes, as I'm still having ankle trouble and likely will be for some time yet.

Finding good, vegan, non-sweat shoes (preferably that I can try on) = the bane of my existence.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Let me know what you find out... I obviously won't be chucking out my shoes but if they do then I won't buy any more from them.
Hi..I got a responce so i thought id let you know:
Quote:
Hi. I know that TUK has some shoes that are advertised as Vegan, but does that include the glues and fixings. Are they animal derived? Thank you H

Hi H.
Yes, they are not entirely vegan. there is glue and other additives, only the material on the shoe is "non leather"

Corrina Adams
Online Sales
Onlinesales@tukshoes.com
1-866-TUK-SHOE (885-7463) Ext. 216

#23 ·
Ill let you know if I see anything, or hear or anywhere. Its always best to beable to try shoes on, but we often dont have that option.

Personally I think companies like TUK and Demonia who advertise Vegan when they clearly dont know where half of the componants come from should be brought up on false advertising.
To me, its kind of like finding out that a Vegan Salad has geletine in the dressing, or something.

#24 ·
Quote:

Ill let you know if I see anything, or hear or anywhere. Its always best to beable to try shoes on, but we often dont have that option.

Personally I think companies like TUK and Demonia who advertise Vegan when they clearly dont know where half of the componants come from should be brought up on false advertising.
To me, its kind of like finding out that a Vegan Salad has geletine in the dressing, or something.
Yeah, they shouldn't be able to say something's vegan when it isn't. I'm not fully vegan (yet), but I like to make sure that my clothing and cosmetics and other non-essential items are cruelty-free. Didn't know about Demonia either, I have a pair of their boots from a long time ago. Not that I was planning on buying any more. I usually wear trainers anyhow, and thankfully there's a large selection of vegan skate shoes about (which I had been unknowingly buying anyway since before I was veg!). It's just hard to find nicer shoes for going out and things.

#25 ·
Yeah I know what you mean. Im cutting out all the non essentials first too. Irregular Choice do a fully vegan range, you can find out which ones on their website, also a German company (check eBay for better prices) called Inamagura are fully vegan too. I have 2 pairs of their 'going out' shoes and they are beautiful. I had to order them from Denmark though

Hope that helps you a bit

#26 ·
orthofeet shoe is incredibly comfortable and definitely anti-fatigue. The cushy heel is something to get used to, but makes walking (for me) bearable for longer periods of time. The tie-less lacing system makes the shoe a quick on-off. Definitely worth every penny. Whether you have bad back, bad legs, bad feet, diabetic, neuropathy, or pronation problems, this is your shoe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.