VeggieBoards - Reply to Topic
Thread: Forgot why I'm vegan again Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-29-2008 08:18 PM
lovingthegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

A dozen donuts is only a dozen donuts because if one goes missing it ain't a dozen any more? It's just another way of saying everyone counts.



Thanks! That made sense.
05-29-2008 03:42 PM
froggythefrog A dozen donuts is only a dozen donuts because if one goes missing it ain't a dozen any more? It's just another way of saying everyone counts.
05-28-2008 01:18 PM
lovingthegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyb View Post

bad analogy.



No, I seriously do not get it. I feel like I'm looking at one of those paintings that if you look at a certain way you say something else, yet everybody else can see it and I can't. I wasn't trying to make an analogy, I was trying to figure it out. I don't know - I am so confused.
05-27-2008 06:24 PM
Tina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

If you remove drops of water from a gallon jug, it won't be long before it's not a gallon of water anymore. It's only a gallon because you're one of the drops.



Awesome!
05-27-2008 06:02 PM
froggythefrog Fine.
05-27-2008 03:13 PM
LetoTheTyrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post





Okay, let me think -- you have a gallon of water and you remove drops of it, that would make a gallon of water minus drops. Wait, how did I get in the gallon jug?






bad analogy.
05-26-2008 08:19 AM
froggythefrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post





Okay, let me think -- you have a gallon of water and you remove drops of it, that would make a gallon of water minus drops. Wait, how did I get in the gallon jug?






Missing the forest for the trees?
05-26-2008 04:16 AM
Diana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I read a quote awhile ago that went something like this: An avalanche always starts with a single snowflake.



I suppose this is an adaptation of the saying that "every snowflake in an avalanche pleads non-guilty."
05-26-2008 03:18 AM
Bells I read a quote awhile ago that went something like this: An avalanche always starts with a single snowflake.
05-26-2008 02:01 AM
lovingthegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

If you remove drops of water from a gallon jug, it won't be long before it's not a gallon of water anymore. It's only a gallon because you're one of the drops.







Okay, let me think -- you have a gallon of water and you remove drops of it, that would make a gallon of water minus drops. Wait, how did I get in the gallon jug?



05-26-2008 01:25 AM
froggythefrog If you remove drops of water from a gallon jug, it won't be long before it's not a gallon of water anymore. It's only a gallon because you're one of the drops.
05-26-2008 12:41 AM
lovingthegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

What's a "much bigger problem to tackle" than what you eat? To whom? To the animal who is killed for her flesh, it's her whole life - a lot more important than anything else.



You need to watch Earthlings or some other animal movie - since you have a conscience, the idea of sticking animals and their products in your mouth should be morally repulsive, when you remember or realize what they go through.



I don't agree with the people who refuse to watch movies and read descriptions of what happens to animals for food, vivisection, fur, etc. because they're too distressing. When people really get those images burned into their minds, they won't go back to supporting those products (or if they do it says something really negative about them).



You are so right! It's the letting it actually sink in when it makes a difference.



To the OP -- as to "that every little bit counts," what I keep thinking about is that every little bit I do saves an animal from death and/or torture, that there is some animal out there that does not have to go through what so many are because I am choosing to have another meat-free day.
05-26-2008 12:15 AM
Irizary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

It happens once a year or so. Can you guys remind me why it doesn't matter that I'm not changing the whole world all at once? And that every little bit counts, even if there are much bigger problems to tackle than what I eat? Thanks.



What's a "much bigger problem to tackle" than what you eat? To whom? To the animal who is killed for her flesh, it's her whole life - a lot more important than anything else.



You need to watch Earthlings or some other animal movie - since you have a conscience, the idea of sticking animals and their products in your mouth should be morally repulsive, when you remember or realize what they go through.



I don't agree with the people who refuse to watch movies and read descriptions of what happens to animals for food, vivisection, fur, etc. because they're too distressing. When people really get those images burned into their minds, they won't go back to supporting those products (or if they do it says something really negative about them).
05-25-2008 11:49 PM
lovingthegreen Great thread!



I especially liked



Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Would it be necessary to remind you that you are anti-slavery in a world where slavery was the norm?



and



Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

when one is knocking down a wall - whether it be a real wall or a mental wall or a political wall - people will knock on the wall, knock, knock, knock. Each person who knocks will not necessarily make a crack appear, because it is all the people BEFORE who have weakened the wall and then someone comes along, knocks even lightly, and the first crack is there.



Slowly, slowly, the wall comes down, with the help of each person who knocks. And one day... it falls.



There is not a single social justice movement that has EVER won the battle without the help of every single person knocking at that wall.



05-25-2008 09:51 PM
Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

So did I. That is why I answered what I did.



But one needs to remember, that when one is knocking down a wall - whether it be a real wall or a mental wall or a political wall - people will knock on the wall, knock, knock, knock. Each person who knocks will not necessarily make a crack appear, because it is all the people BEFORE who have weakened the wall and then someone comes along, knocks even lightly, and the first crack is there.



Slowly, slowly, the wall comes down, with the help of each person who knocks. And one day... it falls.



There is not a single social justice movement that has EVER won the battle without the help of every single person knocking at that wall.



Being a vegan is being part of this social justicement movement. It is vitally important. It is the BASELINE for the animal liberation movement.



Never doubt that being a vegan is making a difference. Being a vegan is making ALL the difference.



One solution: vegan revolution.



I like this post Diana.
05-25-2008 09:28 PM
LionSpirit I agree with everything else said. My tuppence: You're reducing the demand for animals to be harmed.
05-25-2008 06:39 AM
wutaweirdo Well, it doesn't seem to be PERFECTLY fitting for this, but...



"If you think that one little thing cannot make a difference, try sleeping in a room with one mosquito."



(Being in South FL where the mosquito is practically the state bird, I really love this.)
05-25-2008 05:55 AM
Medesha Thanks, I do feel better now. Every now and then I need a reminder.
05-25-2008 05:40 AM
Bells
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

So did I. That is why I answered what I did.



I know you understand, most everyone does. I was only commenting on how even though we know about the cruelty, it feels hopeless sometimes. But, you're right, every person makes a difference.
05-25-2008 04:06 AM
Diana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I kind of understand what Medesha means.



So did I. That is why I answered what I did.



But one needs to remember, that when one is knocking down a wall - whether it be a real wall or a mental wall or a political wall - people will knock on the wall, knock, knock, knock. Each person who knocks will not necessarily make a crack appear, because it is all the people BEFORE who have weakened the wall and then someone comes along, knocks even lightly, and the first crack is there.



Slowly, slowly, the wall comes down, with the help of each person who knocks. And one day... it falls.



There is not a single social justice movement that has EVER won the battle without the help of every single person knocking at that wall.



Being a vegan is being part of this social justicement movement. It is vitally important. It is the BASELINE for the animal liberation movement.



Never doubt that being a vegan is making a difference. Being a vegan is making ALL the difference.



One solution: vegan revolution.
05-25-2008 03:41 AM
derwenna "Be the change you want to see in the world."



You are setting a good example to the people around you, because you know better and once you know, you can't go back to living in ignorance. And we're all out there doing the same, too.
05-25-2008 03:11 AM
Bells
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Would it be necessary to remind you that you are anti-slavery in a world where slavery was the norm?



Would it be necessary to remind you why you are anti-wife-beating in a world where wife-beating was the norm?



Would it be necessary to remind you why you are against paedophilia in a world where paedophilia was the norm?



Using animals as commodities, not taking their interests in consideration, killing them, exploiting them, using them as ressources for food, as shoes, as subjects for torture in vivisection labs, as objects for entertainment reminiscent of Roman games, and even lately more and more for fuel, is absolutely barbaric. Future generations will look at us one day as savages and psychopaths.



Do you really want to contribute to such savagery and barbary?



I kind of understand what Medesha means. Sometimes, although the cruelty is horrible, it feels as if what we are doing does not really matter. It feels like you are one person against the world and like there is no hope for change.



You are making a difference, Medesha. Small steps are still steps.
05-25-2008 01:21 AM
Diana Would it be necessary to remind you that you are anti-slavery in a world where slavery was the norm?



Would it be necessary to remind you why you are anti-wife-beating in a world where wife-beating was the norm?



Would it be necessary to remind you why you are against paedophilia in a world where paedophilia was the norm?



Using animals as commodities, not taking their interests in consideration, killing them, exploiting them, using them as ressources for food, as shoes, as subjects for torture in vivisection labs, as objects for entertainment reminiscent of Roman games, and even lately more and more for fuel, is absolutely barbaric. Future generations will look at us one day as savages and psychopaths.



Do you really want to contribute to such savagery and barbary?
05-24-2008 09:53 PM
Capstan When you think about it, people feeding themselves is one of the very biggest problems there is. You're doing the right thing.
05-24-2008 07:17 PM
Byzantea You're being selfish by wanting to live longer and be healthier while you're alive. You're also selfishly wanting to see your loved ones through healthy eyes, not ones stricken blind by diabetes. YOu meanie!
05-24-2008 06:28 PM
Percy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerVegan View Post

Three words: Meet your meat.



And here is a refresher



[youtube]VIjanhKqVC4[/youtube]





You are not changing the world... but you are adding your two cents!!!
05-24-2008 06:22 PM
morningdew You're also part of a like-minded community. So although you may not be able to change the world all by yourself, you're part of a collective that is changing the world.
05-24-2008 03:04 PM
Lani to me veganism isn't about changing the world. i look at it as a personal choice i've made because i believe it makes me a better human being. we all know the difference between right and wrong and even omnivores know that factory farming is wrong. they just choose to be a part of it anyway.



i tried explaining this to a friend of mine and the best analogy i could come up with was this... it's like being a police officer in a corrupt department. everyone except you is taking bribes and everyone knows that it's wrong. they always pressure you to take the bribes as well and make fun of you because you don't. do you let the pressure and ridicule destroy your morals or do you stand up for what you believe is right? and who knows, maybe someone will be touched that you are doing what's right and follow suit. you might not clean the corruption out of the department but you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you are doing the right thing.



he kinda got it after i explained it that way.
05-24-2008 02:20 PM
arcane A small change is still a change.
05-24-2008 12:37 PM
Indian Summer It makes a difference because you're living proof and a constant reminder to everyone around you that animals food is not a necessary part of the diet.
This thread has more than 30 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off