Viewing Review: Banished my vegan cheese nightmares - VeggieBoards
Banished my vegan cheese nightmares Edit
by 60225 Combined Rating: 4.0

After my traumatic experience with Vegusto I consider myself rather heroic for even being in the same room as another vegan 'cheese'.  My reasons for buying this were (a) desperation for...
Pros Cons
  • (1) Doesn't smell like old socks (2) Actually tastes okay (3) Reasonable imitation of cheese texture esp when grated (4) Cheap (£1.75 / US$2.70)
  • (1) Could melt a bit better (2) Could taste a bit more 'cheesy'
After my traumatic experience with Vegusto I consider myself rather heroic for even being in the same room as another vegan 'cheese'.  My reasons for buying this were (a) desperation for something different (b) it was cheap and (c) I'm an eternal optimist.  So, armed with a £5 note and a sense of foreboding I negotiated the Morrisons self-service checkout and headed home.

I have to confess, I'm glad I bought it as it's finally banished my vegan rancid-sock-cheese nightmares :-D  At £1.75 it's far cheaper and more enjoyable than therapy.

I've had it crumbled on a jacket potato ~ pretty good, not quite like cheese but a nice savoury flavour.  Then I had it on top of a quick-cook (7 mins) vegan pizza ~ sort of melted but any longer and it would have burnt; perfectly acceptable and it 'felt' a bit like pizza cheese.  

Then the acid test ... slices of 'cheese' with crackers and actually it wasn't bad.  Again, more of a savoury topping and would benefit from some onion or pickle but it's perfectly okay.  The texture is slightly waxy and a bit crumbly but overall not a bad imitation.

For me this cheese gets a four star rating.

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

For those who like a bit more 'sock' in their cheese, Redwood also do a mature version called red 'cheddar'.  Personally I'm steering well clear of that
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
CaptainSassypants 10-03-2016, 08:23 AM

I may have to try it! I've tried their pizzas (which are awesome), but VioLife is usually my go-to for cheese.

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance: