Viewing Review: First vegan cookbook - glad it was this one! - VeggieBoards
First vegan cookbook - glad it was this one! Edit
by quix689 Combined Rating: 5.0

When I first decided to go vegan,  I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to find a bunch of recipes that I liked AND that were inexpensive to prepare. On a whim, I did an Amazon search for "vegan"...
Pros Cons
  • Cheap recipes, normal ingredients

When I first decided to go vegan,  I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to find a bunch of recipes that I liked AND that were inexpensive to prepare. On a whim, I did an Amazon search for "vegan" and "cheap," and I came across this book. I bought it instantly. There are so many great recipes in here, and the most expensive one costs $2/serving. I love that most of the ingredients in this book are ingredients that you can find anywhere. The only ingredient I had issues finding was nutritional yeast, and that was back when I first decided to go vegan and had no idea what that was. I've since learned where to find that ingredient.

So far, these are the recipes I've tried:
BLACK AND WHITE BEAN CHILI - Hands down my favorite recipe in this book. I'll never need another chili recipe again.

BAKED ZITI - Delicious! The tofu worked wonderfully.

FAUX PARMESAN - My savior. I put parmesan cheese on everything, and I couldn't imagine going vegan without having this wonderful alternative!

RADIATORE ESCAROLE WITH WHITE BEANS - I haven't tried escarole yet, but I tried this dish with kale, and it was great. Very easy to make, and it only requires a handful of ingredients.

PIZZA DOUGH - Who knew you could make a great dough with only three ingredients? I haven't tried the pizzas listed yet, but I used the dough recipe to make my own, and it was great!

BETTER BEAN BURGERS - So easy to make, and yet so delicious! I am definitely turning to these the next time I feel a craving for burgers!

ASIAN PEANUT PASTA SALAD - The first recipe I tried, and an absolute winner.

These were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I look forward to trying them all. I highly recommend this book to anyone who's looking to cook delicious, cheap vegan food!

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
quix689 04-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Yeah, I got her slow cooker book for my birthday, but I haven't tried any recipes from it yet. I'm excited to try, though. I think all of her books are on my wishlist!

silva 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM

All of Robin Robertsons books are good!
Your review got me to check for her other books on amazon, and their "look inside" feature gives TONS of recipes!

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance: