Viewing Review: Really good holiday meat alternative - VeggieBoards
Really good holiday meat alternative Edit
by Jennifer C Combined Rating: 4.0

I like some chicken mock meats, and a couple of veggie burgers, but I'm not a huge fan of mock meat in general, so I was reluctant to try this. 

Still, the one thing I miss from my long ago...
Pros Cons
  • Tastes good, easy, great gravy, meat-eaters liked it
  • Expensive, a little dry if you mess up, processed, lots of packaging

I like some chicken mock meats, and a couple of veggie burgers, but I'm not a huge fan of mock meat in general, so I was reluctant to try this. 

Still, the one thing I miss from my long ago meat eating days is the ability to have something meatish on Thanksgiving, because everyone else I know is eating turkey. Stupid I know, but... 

Anyhow, I've tried tofurkey roasts and HATED them and I didn't think this would be any better, but it was, by a long shot. This roast was cool because it didn't taste all meaty, like so many mock meats but it tasted like it's own kind of thing. It's hard to explain and I think gardein was going for turkey flavor, but it didn't taste like turkey to me. It did taste very good and very holiday minded. Plus it gave off a great scent in the kitchen as it cooked. 

The best parts of this roast were the stuffing and gravy. The stuffing inside the roast was insanely delicious and packed with cranberries and wild rice. The gravy was amazing too and that's coming from someone who never liked gravy. The texture was good as well and matched up nicely with my homemade vegan mashed potatoes. 

All the meat eaters at my house who were cool enough to try this roast loved it, so that was a plus. 

Cons: 

• I think I overcooked it a bit, because the actual roast part was a little dry. I'd watch this carefully as it cooks. 
  • There was not enough gravy to go around. I'd make an extra batch of vegan gravy, because I felt the roast was better with it. 
  • It was expensive. BUT it did go a long way. One little slice was perfect with sides and I ate this as leftovers for days and it still tasted great. 
  • Too much packaging - but if you don't want to make your own homemade vegan main dish, this is a good bet. 

I'd definitely buy this again for a holiday main dish. 

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
This does not have any entries.
Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance: