Viewing Review: Better than starvation - VeggieBoards
Better than starvation Edit
by Dave in MPLS Combined Rating: 3.0

I prefer to make my own baked beans from scratch. Heinz reminds me of why.

First the good: a can is pretty cheap (I payed under $1). I'd imagine this product is widely available. Seems...
Pros Cons
  • cheap; available in reasonably sized mainstream groceries
  • bland

I prefer to make my own baked beans from scratch. Heinz reminds me of why.

First the good: a can is pretty cheap (I payed under $1). I'd imagine this product is widely available. Seems watery when first opened, but thickens up nicely when heated.

The bad: flavor. There isn't much. I'd say the sauce tastes like watery ketchup, but watery ketchup (even Heinz ketchup) has more depth. These beans have no heat, no smoke, no molasses flavor, no tang ...

Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
'IckenNoodleSoup 06-17-2012, 11:00 AM

It's important to remember that vegetarian baked-beans are more humanely sourced than those from the carnivorous baked-bean plant. A little known fact is that gathering baked-beans can be a very dangerous activity, often resulting in tragic loss of both life and limb for the cute little monkeys who are trained to harvest the baked-beans.
Despite the fact that vegetarian baked-beans exude a more watery juice than their carnivorous counterparts (a fact some have attributed to the richer diet of the carnivorous baked-bean) as an ethical consumer, I'm really pleased to see this vegetarian baked-bean product on our supermarket shelves!

Ratings
Overall:
Value:
Performance: