North Carolina anyone around the Asheville area? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-31-2008, 10:32 AM

I live right outside Asheville in candler and was wondering if anyone else lives around avl. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in Boone, not really that close. My dream is to move to Asheville after I graduate from App. I've only been there twice but I love it.
#3 Old 12-31-2008, 03:10 PM

How long have you been in Boone? My husband went to app and I went to watauga highschool. I started living there in 02 and we moved in 05 to Charlotte and then we moved here in like March or April. To me asheville is like a huge Boone with a lot more stuff to do LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm a junior at App so I've been in Boone for 2.5 years now. Born and raised in Raleigh though. I guess because I'm from a bigger city Boone comes across as a bit small. Don't get my wrong, I loooovvvveee Boone, but I want to live somewhere bigger. And since I have fallen in love with the mountains and don't want to live, Asheville is calling my name. Not to mention that I've heard it's really veg friendly.
#5 Old 12-31-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgyJff View Post

Well I'm a junior at App so I've been in Boone for 2.5 years now. Born and raised in Raleigh though. I guess because I'm from a bigger city Boone comes across as a bit small. Don't get my wrong, I loooovvvveee Boone, but I want to live somewhere bigger. And since I have fallen in love with the mountains and don't want to live, Asheville is calling my name. Not to mention that I've heard it's really veg friendly.

Oh yea its super veg friendly! We have some all vegetarian restaurants and then some really awesome places with amazing vegan options like the early girl eatery. And the best thing is our farmers market. Its HUGE and open year round . I've also found some good places to go like the amish store right outside of town and the produce stand near my house that is also open year round...they had beautiful heirloom tomatoes
#6 Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

#7 Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

The best vegan meal I have ever had was at Laughing Seed! I love Asheville!

The Earth Fare that is near downtown is amazing. It is the most vegan friendly grocery store I have ever been to - and I have been to HFS all over the country.
#8 Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM

True rosetta has more options but I personally LOVE the early girl eatery. The food is more simple than rosetta's but I still prefer it.

Texaspice

I just went to the earth fare a few months ago and I was definitely impressed! The only other one I ever went to was the one in Boone, but I prefer the one here. I lap love the french broad co-op. I've been to the greenlife grocer a couple of times...I still prefer earth fare. My favorite thing is the bulk bins and greenlife just doesn't have much of one.
#9 Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Chapel Hill, but I love to visit Asheville. I have a few friends who go to UNCA
#10 Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I'm in Chapel Hill, but I love to visit Asheville. I have a few friends who go to UNCA

If you're ever in town shoot me a PM
#11 Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I would absolutely LOVE to live in Asheville. I live between Charlotte and Winston-Salem now. I'm from Charlotte originally. I adore Asheville.
#12 Old 02-07-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaganNC View Post

I would absolutely LOVE to live in Asheville. I live between Charlotte and Winston-Salem now. I'm from Charlotte originally. I adore Asheville.

Yea we lived in Charlotte before we moved here, and we actually almost moved to Winston-Salem. Alex had a job opportunity and could have went there or here...SO glad he chose here!
#13 Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheThrowsDown View Post

I live right outside Asheville in candler and was wondering if anyone else lives around avl. Anyone?

I'm originally from Asheville now I I live down the Mountain (it's way cheaper). We go there once a week if not more. I love to visit and I'm glad I only live 30 min away. I haven't been to laughing seed in a million years but I want to go back. My hubby is omni and although he supports me he can't find anything on their menu
#14 Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhukitty View Post

I'm originally from Asheville now I I live down the Mountain (it's way cheaper). We go there once a week if not more. I love to visit and I'm glad I only live 30 min away. I haven't been to laughing seed in a million years but I want to go back. My hubby is omni and although he supports me he can't find anything on their menu

Eh you can live pretty close to asheville for cheap . We live in Candler, we have expensive rent but only because my husband wanted to rent a really nice house. There are some a few down from us that were super cheap rentals (^_^)
#15 Old 05-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabileLotus View Post

Eh you can live pretty close to asheville for cheap . We live in Candler, we have expensive rent but only because my husband wanted to rent a really nice house. There are some a few down from us that were super cheap rentals (^_^)

A house similar to mine in Buncombe was 3x more expensive I reckon that's what happen when everyone wants to move to a place lol.

I have actually grown to like McDowell, most of the people down here mind there own business and our Food Lion has an organic section .

I was just in Asheville yesterday and it was nuts up there is it just me or has the traffic on 240 got worse here recently?

I want to make it to Mela for the buffet soon I need some good food
#16 Old 07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

Moved to Boone...
#17 Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 AM

Our long term goal has been to make Asheville home. We are in our mid-50's and figured why not move there sooner rather than later to establish roots and become connected to the community. We are in our early to mid 50's. We spent many weekends this past summer looking at land in the area and closed a few weeks ago on a piece of property in Fletcher. One day it will be home, living off the grid as much as possible, growing our own organic garden!

We are into our third year of being vegan and just love the "veggie-friendly" atmosphere of the area! We were vegetarian for several years before making the vegan switch.

Since we will be living between Asheville and Hendersonville we will probably join both of the local cooperatives. I stopped by French Broad Co-op in Asheville a few weeks ago and picked up their membership form and will check out the Hendersonville co-op on our next visit. I quite familiar with Earth Fare as they have a location in Boone. The Earth Fare on Hendersonville Road is twice the size and their deli looked great! Greenlife turned into our quick stop if we were in the area for breakfast or lunch. I just love their buffet and deli! One nice surprise was discovering the vegetarian market down the road from the Seventh Day Adventists Hospital in Fletcher.

Laughing Seed is one of our regular stops (cashed in our frequent diner card on a t-shirt two weeks ago!) and we also enjoy Rosetta's Kitchen. Early Girl has been one of my long time favorites. We stopped by for breakfast a few weeks ago and I was sort of shocked at the limited vegan options. I guess I was vegetarian the last visit. Our waitress was very nice and pointed out a veggie stack item on the menu and substituted salsa and guacamole for the cheese and sour cream...it was great. On our last visit we were with a group of teenagers and went to Papa and Beers on Brevard Road. The tofu tacos were pretty good. A friend recommended Noi Thai Kitchen saying they had great food and a wonderful staff. She was right! It is a small plain room, but the smiles and attitude of the staff warms the place. Our waiter was careful to mention that they can make true vegan sauces without the fish sauce (I know more than a few Thai restaurants who keep that in even when they say they are serving a vegan dish.) The food was outstanding.

There are so many other places to try.
#18 Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 PM

I live west of Asheville in Cullowhee at WCU. I really want to get to Asheville soon though - Jackson County has nothing to do it seems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page