North Carolina - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:11 AM
Administrator

The place to dicuss local topics and to meet others in your area.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I cannot be the only North Carolinian here. Show yerselves!

I'm actually going to be a semi-Virginian starting in September... maybe I'll post in that thread if there are more people.
#3 Old 05-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm from virginia! Are you going to college here or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2003, 10:21 PM

Durham, NC here! w00t!

If anyone in my area knows of good places to shop lemme know! (Unless it's way past the date of this post, by then I'll probly have already found 'em myself)
#5 Old 05-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a Well Springs in Durham. I've never been to it, though. ^_^;;; The only thing I've eaten in Durham was a nasty-ass salad at Duke University... blech.

And, yes, Ntelligentidiot, I'm starting at Randolph-Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg soon. I'm excited.
#6 Old 05-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Banned

eoMeo is planning to move there. Asheville area.
#7 Old 05-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'll be in North Carolina at Christmas... if that counts
#8 Old 05-13-2003, 02:12 PM

Greensboro here, a native son.
#9 Old 05-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I, too, am a Greensboro native. I've lived here my whole freaking life.

And Gazumpy, love, you can't post here until you come here at Christmas. Since you're flying into Virginia, you can post there then, too.
#10 Old 05-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Woooooooo!!!!
#11 Old 05-13-2003, 07:41 PM

I have several friends in Greensboro! And someone just today told me about a Well Springs in Chapel Hill, which would be closer to me than the one in Durham I'm going this weekend! Thanks for the tip though Vegankat.
#12 Old 05-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi. My in-laws live in Highlands, NC and my mom & step father built their retirement home near Waynesville, NC. I love NC!! Oh yeah, I went to school at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee.
#13 Old 05-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Banned

waynesville is a cool little town, actually

i love *my* area of the state (priveleged information!), but there are some sketchy parts...um, on the way to the OBX, beuaford and atlantic beach and all the little weirdo towns around there- yeah, i don't like them so much, heh.
#14 Old 05-15-2003, 08:51 PM

My ex went to Western Carolina! I love it up there. And Funkified, I lived in Wilmington for 7 years...loved it there and miss it like crazy...but I know what you mean about the sketchy parts - I lived in one of them for 6 months until we got an apartment in Wilmington. We called it the roach motel and the people were quite, um, interesting..
#15 Old 06-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Beginner

i live in charlotte.... but i'm a transplant (i've lived in new orleans most of my life)
#16 Old 06-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I also live in Charlotte...also a transplant. Hey, I lived in Marksville, LA for a good eleven years of my life...

Hey, I am also a bookworm. Are we twins by chance seperated at birth and addopted out?

B
#17 Old 06-29-2003, 01:21 PM

Oh, hey, never saw this before...where's a good place to eat in Charlotte?
#18 Old 07-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Beginner

bethanie- maybe so who knows ^_^

Jonny M.- i don't know if you've ever been, but the peaceful dragon is a great restaurant... it used to be on pineville mathews road, but it's since moved to steele creek (sorry to say i have no idea where it is, but mapquest could help!)
#19 Old 07-15-2003, 11:25 AM

Hey, I am from Sylva, NC.....
#20 Old 07-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard the peaceful dragon is good, though haven't been there. Lupie's serves good veggie chili...

Shoot, wait, you're not vegetarian. Come to think of it, are you even here anymore Johnny?

B
#21 Old 07-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

You must, must, must, go to Carrboro. Biggest Veg*n community there. Weaver Street is an amazing grocery store, and you just get the sense that the people that live there are real fine veggie folks. Terrific place to eat--it's on the train tracks in Carrboro in an old train car. Tofu dogs, mock chicken salad, soy ice cream, all that good stuff.

I used to live in Chapel Hill, and Carrboro for a spell. I love NC.
#22 Old 08-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister is moving to Jacksonville, NC in about a month. I am going to miss her soooooo much.

My veg*n & natural eating is starting to rub off on her. Will she be able to find good natural, veg*n food in Jacksonville??
#23 Old 09-04-2003, 05:19 PM

hey yall.. i'm out west in Asheville

If you're in the area you MUST go to Rosetta's Kitchen downtown...

it is such yummy, almost all-vegan selections, and really good prices, not to mention supporting a local establishment

i just can't get enough of their peanut butter tofu hehe

~toria
#24 Old 09-04-2003, 07:08 PM

i live in Stanly County in New London. No one knows where new london is so its ok
#25 Old 10-02-2003, 04:25 PM

anyone else here from NC?????
#26 Old 01-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone who lives in/has been to Greensboro, have you tried Boba House on Tate St. yet? It is absolutely amazing, to say the least. It's 100% vegetarian and all but a few things on the menu are vegan. My family didn't even realize they were eating vegan food! I give it the highest recommendation. It surpasses the Grapevine in quality and in presentation.
#27 Old 01-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Beginner

I live in Greensboro and I've been to Boba House (like 10 times). I thought the food was fantastic but I'm a little concerned about eating there. I was told that a dish was vegan and the next time that it wasn't. Then I found this site:http://filebox.vt.edu/users/ehollowa/index.htm

I was never under the impression that everything was vegan, the fliers I saw stated that it was 100% and 80% vegan. The owner says that they no longer use gelatin. It was apparently a miscommunication with the supplier who said that gelatin was suitable for vegetarians. So while it's promising that the problem was corrected, it makes me wonder about the owners'/staff's knowledge of veg*nism. If they were opening a vegetarian place and were ignorant to the fact that gelatin isn't vegetarian, what exactly do they know about other ingredients? Do they realize what is vegan and what is not?

It sucks because I would love to go back but I'm just concerned about eating there. I don't want to be misled (intentionally or unintentionally) about what I put into my body. At least at the Grapevine, I know the owner has extensive knowledge of veg*nism, even the "minor" ingredients.
#28 Old 01-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

They now provide a list of all ingredients to anyone who asks. I only recently started eating there, and I hadn't heard any of the controversy, as I go to school in Virginia and only come home now and then. I know one of the waiters there, so next time I go to Tate St., maybe I'll ask about it.
#29 Old 01-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Boba House = :9
#30 Old 01-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought I had already posted on this thread, but I guess not! I'm actually from Charlotte as well, it's good to see some other Charlotteans on this board. Strangely enough, I was also originally from Louisiana until I was 7 (Harvey, LA).

As far as vegetarian restaurants, I hear The Peaceful Dragon is a great place to go, with lots of non-traditional vegetarian food. The Mellow Mushroom restaurants also serve tofu and tempeh subs, and there's a place called the Penguin Diner on Thomas Street that serves soy dogs, among other things.

I got my Master's degree from UNCC, did any of you go there?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page