North Carolina - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#31 Old 01-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Good to meet you wfudeac. I'm in Charlotte as well.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone i'm in Charlotte too, the peaceful dragon is probably the best food in the city, but i also love brixx pizza, they will put vegan cheese on your pizza at no extra charge, and its really really yummy
#33 Old 02-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm from Durham!!

Have any of you been to the Sage Vegetarian Cafe in Chapel Hill? I thought it was pretty good. link

And then Foster's, you all know Foster's, right? Lots of vegetarian options. I love that place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Banned

i love North Carolina and i love living here!

my favorite team is DUKE DUKE DUKE!!

i live in New London, NC if anyone has ever been here..it's like 5 miles wide. about 10 miles away from Misenheimer, 8 Miles away from Albemarle, 25 miles away from Salisbury
#35 Old 04-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Banned

Soy is southbound yet again! Veggie food companies gush about relatively tiny Asheville in the same breath as Berkeley. What's more, Asheville, which recently hosted Vegetarian Summerfest, offers four all-vegetarian restaurants-and a horde of eateries that are happy to create meatless fare. With the recent opening of Asheville's fourth vegetarian restaurant, Rosetta's, you can eat at a vegetarian restaurant any time you want.

Want to head for a veg friendly pub/pizza place instead? You've got several to choose from. Barley's Taproom features a veg friendly menu including soy cheese pizza, jerk tofu sandwiches, a veggie burger, and excellent black bean hummus. Or to take in a movie with your brew and soy cheese pizza, head over to the Asheville Pizza Company. Or try the Mellow Mushroom, where you'll also find a great selection of beer, soy cheese pizzas, tempeh and tofu sandwiches. Another pizza place offering soy cheese is Nick 'n Willie's.

You can devour some tasty vegan baked goods at the City Bakery on Charlotte Street or at Earth Fare, the bustling health food supermarket located in the Westgate Shopping Center. Earth Fare also offers vegetarian and vegan hot food options as well as the best salad bar around. Veggie dog options abound on the streets of Asheville almost all of the many coffee shops offer soymilk as well. At least two ice cream shops offer soy ice cream and/or rice ice cream. The ice cream shops are The Hop, near UNCA, and Sweet Heaven on historic Montford Avenue.

Looking for ethnic food? Most of the two dozen plus Chinese, Japanese, and Thai restaurants offer many excellent vegetarian selections. Several have regularly-scheduled vegetarian buffets. And don't pass up Mother India, Salsa's, and Urban Burrito. In a hurry? Check out the tofu sub at Two Guys Hoagies, which has two locations around town. There are so many vegetarian options in Asheville; it's hard to find a restaurant that doesn't offer a good vegetarian or vegan meal. No wonder Self magazine found Asheville the happiest city in America.

CAFÉ MAX & ROSIE'S

52 N. Lexington Ave

Asheville, NC

828-254-5342

LAUGHING SEED

40 Wall Street

Asheville, NC

828-252-3445

GREEN LIGHT CAFE

205 West State Street

Asheville, NC

828-669-2444

EARTH FARE

66 Westgate Shopping Center (at I-240 West)

Asheville, NC

828-253-7656
#36 Old 04-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Beginner

they will put vegan cheese on your pizza at no extra charge, and its really really yummy

Huh. I had no idea. I'll have to go next time i'm uptown.
#37 Old 05-18-2004, 07:09 AM

hi! I live in Charlotte NC, But I am from Albemarle NC..... I used to live in New London. SweetShorty do you go to North Stanly?? I have a nephew and a niece that go to Kendall Valley!

NE WAY.... There is a little Indian Resturant (all vegetarian) on Albemarle Rd. It's towards the brand new target!

#38 Old 06-01-2004, 05:30 PM

What is the veggie lifestyle like in the RTP area? From what I have read here, it appears to be good. I'm originally from Bristol, TN and now living in Colorado. I hope to move to Raleigh or nearby this year or next. It's glad to know that there are good places to dine out that cater to our diet.
#39 Old 06-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Beginner

Another Charlotte person here! But I am moving to Greensboro in August for college. Guilford Fighting Quakers! I don't know of any good vegetarian places in Greensboro, so if you have any suggestions, that'd be great! I know that the campus cafeteria has a section for vegetarians and for vegans, but I'm sure that their food will get a little boring after a while, so I'll need to expand my menu. Thanks!
#40 Old 06-23-2004, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeshaldis View Post

Another Charlotte person here! But I am moving to Greensboro in August for college. Guilford Fighting Quakers! I don't know of any good vegetarian places in Greensboro, so if you have any suggestions, that'd be great! I know that the campus cafeteria has a section for vegetarians and for vegans, but I'm sure that their food will get a little boring after a while, so I'll need to expand my menu. Thanks!

Ahh, you're moving to my neighborhood. You're right about Guilford's cafeteria, they're pretty good. Also there is a new Thai place across Friendly Avenue behind the cafeteria that has lots of vegetarian selections, and the J&S Cafeteria is a regular haunt of my own. Welcome to town!
#41 Old 07-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Thanks Bankruptor!

Also, thebelovedtree and I discovered a great new store for veg*ns in Charlotte recently. It's called the Home Economist Market and it's on South Blvd. I believe that they also have another location elsewhere in Charlotte, possibly on Independence Blvd.

They sell food stuffs for veg*ns that can't be found at regular grocery stores and many things that Talley's Green Grocery doesn't even carry. (I thought thebelovedtree was going to have an orgasm when she found Tofuti Better Than Cream Cheese.) Just thought that I would let everyone know!
#42 Old 07-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Beginner

I go to north stanly!!! North Stanly Comets! i love it! my mom was gonna teach at kendall valley this year!
#43 Old 07-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newveg View Post

hi! I live in Charlotte NC, But I am from Albemarle NC..... I used to live in New London. SweetShorty do you go to North Stanly?? I have a nephew and a niece that go to Kendall Valley!

NE WAY.... There is a little Indian Resturant (all vegetarian) on Albemarle Rd. It's towards the brand new target!

thanx for the tip! i'm so going!!!
#44 Old 07-17-2004, 08:29 AM

I, too, live in North Carolina.
#45 Old 08-04-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetShorty132 View Post

i live in Stanly County in New London. No one knows where new london is so its ok

Hey, SweetShorty132! I live in Albemarle, and am a new vegetarian, as well as my Mom and both my sisters. I've still decided to eat seafood for now, but am completely giving up poultry, beef and pork. Just not sure how I feel about seafood just yet, but definately know I won't be able to eat every other meat anymore. I just don't see cows and pigs and chickens as being any different than a cat or a dog. Just as most pet owners feel their pets have feelings, emotions and personalities, I think cows, pigs and chickens have the same feelings. Anyway, my name is Jennifer, and I work at the Stanly County YMCA. Just wanted to introduce myself.
#46 Old 09-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm *hopefully* moving to raleigh ASAP...any info. on the veg scene in the triangle area would be excellent...the more i read about it down there, the more i love it...btw...i'm from virginia...
#47 Old 09-08-2004, 05:07 PM

I'm thinking about going to UNC-Chapel Hill next fall. Does anyone know what kind of vegan food they serve and what the vegan community of the area is like? Or just what the community is like in general? I've never been. Thanks.
#48 Old 09-10-2004, 06:22 PM

Burlington, NC here. <sorry i cant get enough of that sheep. hes so kyoot!
#49 Old 12-29-2004, 03:47 PM

i live in raleigh... anyone around? don't know too many vegetarians in the area!
#50 Old 12-30-2004, 05:45 PM

I'm a veggie from Raleigh. I've lived here my entire life.
#51 Old 12-30-2004, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyof_rohan7 View Post

I'm thinking about going to UNC-Chapel Hill next fall. Does anyone know what kind of vegan food they serve and what the vegan community of the area is like? Or just what the community is like in general? I've never been. Thanks.

The campus is very pretty. I was in a Latin competition that took place there. Very nice in spring. Chapel Hill has one of the best, if not the best, music scene in the entire Southeast. "The Cat's Cradle", "Go! Room 4" (although they might be closing), "Local 506", and more within a few miles of campus. As far as vegan food on campus, I'm not too sure, but there is an excellent grubhouse called "The Pita Pit" on Franklin Street. I haven't been there since being a vegan, but they have the best Falafel Pita I've ever consumed.
#52 Old 01-06-2005, 06:01 PM

hi loralee, I live in sylva too!! Sylva is the coolest place in the whole wide world, I love living here. not many choices on the vegan side, but it's still wonderful. anybody else from sylva or closeby? so cute
#53 Old 01-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone, I'm currently in Durham NC studying at Duke. I really should know more than I do about Raleigh/Chapel Hill, but I don't. Oh well.

And for the record, Durham has a whole bunch of awesome vegetarian/vegan restaurants/stores.
#54 Old 01-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Beginner

Ooh! I'm a veggie in Raleigh! I think it's tough around here, but I'm a New England girl originally, so . . . Anyway, Whole Foods has this GREAT mock chicken salad and I just discovered their "dairy" section the other day, but the store was so packed I didn't have the tolerance to look at it then. And it's sort of a hassle for me to get there cause I'm up near Wake Forest. I would say good produce is hard to find around here. Boo.

I miss Trader Joes!!!!
#55 Old 01-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Hey everyone! I'm in Charlotte attending Queens University. I'm orginally from Georgia, but shhhhsh don't tell.
#56 Old 01-24-2005, 12:34 PM

Another NC semi-vegetarian here... My other half is more so than I am, we do it for health reasons mostly. We're members of the Very Vegetarian Society of Winston-Salem (veryvege.bravehost.com), we meet the first Tuesday of each month for a vegan potluck dinner at the Miller Park rec center, and usually have a speaker. Any of yall nearby, come by and give us a try- we'd like to get more young people to come out. James Lipton said we're "scrumtrilescent"! ;-)

Anyway, we haven't tried Boba House in Greensboro yet, but we really liked the Grapevine when it was around- and are really sad now that it's not. We also drag a huge group of friends to the Peaceful Dragon in Charlotte for a semi-annual reunion every spring and fall- a small feat considering most of us aren't vegetarians of any kind!

We also like Angelica's in Boone and the Laughing Seed in Asheville, as well as Cafe' Max and Rosie's (although we haven't been back since it was sold or re-launched or whatever).
#57 Old 01-25-2005, 02:34 PM

Another NC semi-vegetarian here... My other half is more so than I am, we do it for health reasons mostly. We're members of the Very Vegetarian Society of Winston-Salem (veryvege.bravehost.com), we meet the first Tuesday of each month for a vegan potluck dinner at the Miller Park rec center, and usually have a speaker. Any of yall nearby, come by and give us a try- we'd like to get more young people to come out. James Lipton said we're "scrumtrilescent"! ;-)

Anyway, we haven't tried Boba House in Greensboro yet, but we really liked the Grapevine when it was around- and are really sad now that it's not. We also drag a huge group of friends to the Peaceful Dragon in Charlotte for a semi-annual reunion every spring and fall- a small feat considering most of us aren't vegetarians of any kind!

We also like Angelica's in Boone and the Laughing Seed in Asheville, as well as Cafe' Max and Rosie's (although we haven't been back since it was sold or re-launched or whatever).
#58 Old 02-05-2005, 06:32 PM

Hey all! I am originally from the west but I just moved to Clayton, NC (south of Raleigh for those who are new to NC or will be moving here soon). I have only been here 1.5 years so I don't have too much info to share but there is a really good vegetarian-options restaurant, The Irregardless (sp?) Cafe between downtown Raleigh and NC State. Supposedly they have been a vegetarian restaurant for decades but recently began serving meat - though they did maintain their vegetarian food, thankfully. The place is a bit nicer and would probably be a good date restaurant. And they have live music by hosting small musical groups (we had violinists <sp?> playing the night I went).

If anyone in the Raleigh area knows of other good vegetarian restaurants I would love to hear about them! I've done a lot of work in Durham and Chapel Hill and they seem to have pretty good veg. places, but I hate the distance from my house to there (pollution, traffic, etc) Any advice or tips that someone from the area can give would be appreciated! It's so nice to see there are more vegetarian/vegans in the area!
#59 Old 02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by esculentveggies View Post

Hey everyone! I'm in Charlotte attending Queens University. I'm orginally from Georgia, but shhhhsh don't tell.

Hey, I practically live across the street from Queens! Nice to meet ya!
#60 Old 02-11-2005, 04:10 AM

Hey, all North Carolinians, have you seen this!?!? It's so sad! Why are people so mean?!

http://www.wral.com/news/4053872/detail.html

www.adoreyourpets.org/rescue

Also, have any of you checked out or been involved with Carolina Animal Activists Together (CAAT)? Their website is www.caat-nc.org I have been a "member" since I moved here but I have never gotten myself involved in anything they do yet. And there is a circus protest this Saturday for the evil Barnum-Bailey circus BS that is going on in Raleigh. I was curious to know if anyone is involved with them or not. They are big into vegetarianism too.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page