Wilmington: Am I Alone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I know there are veggies here, where are you all hiding?

I just returned to Wilmington after 10 years of living back in Upstate NY. I've got friends here, I know where to eat, just wondering who might be around the area.

For those that are visiting and don't know, must eats:

1. Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn - The have several vegetarian options and a kickbutt salsa bar.

2. India Mahal - Family owned Indian restaurant that is vegetarian friendly. Their lunch buffet had about 8 vegetarian options.

3. Tidal Creek - This is a health food store/co-op which also serves vegetarian friendly food. I've not eaten their prepared food, but the shop side has items I enjoy.

All 3 are around the same area.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Hah! Still the lone vegetarian in Wilmington.

I have to say that I stopped eating at Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn because they had a tendency of allowing small bits of ground beef get on the prep tables and rolled on to your burritos. It's sad, because I loved eating there and did so about 3 to 4 times a week.

A new entry would be Double Happiness, a Chinese place that is a bit on the pricey side, but they can accommodate vegetarians and list a few items on the menu as such.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#3 Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

If I rightly remember is Wilmington near Philiadelphia ? I also beleive that you have the Dupont Nemours HS there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope, this would be the North Carolina section, so it's not the Wilmington in Delaware - though I have been to that Wilmington as well.

#5 Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I see. You're right, I was thinking of the one in Delaware.
#6 Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Banned

I visit Wilmington when I go on vacation. There is a fantastic restaurant called Indochine. I had their stuffed tofu on my last trip and it was fantastic. Check them out. And I always visit Flaming Amy's every time I go, too. I wish I could live in Wilmington. I love the place so much.
#7 Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you in NC, Sleepy? I too vacationed here a bunch, then moved here, then moved back to NY then a decade later back to here. I love the warm weather, so that keeps me here.

I'm not sure if I can trust Indochine. A lot of Asian places do things that I don't accept like put fish sauce or shrimp paste in your food even though you request for them to not. Also, I don't eat foods that are deep fried if the oil has meat fried in it, so usually tofu dishes are off the menu for me.

#8 Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM

I'm in Wilmington!

The Eat Spot downtown (Princess and Front) has a very nice black bean burger. I don't think there's anything else on their menu that comes close, though ... and I wasn't being careful about dairy products the last time I ate there (because I was being foolish and pretending dairy doesn't hurt my body), so I didn't ask if it could be made vegan

Nikki's offers tempeh, falafel, black bean, and tofu options - a full veggie menu, some of the items are already vegan, others can be made that way. They tend to be very accommodating - well, the one on Racine does, anyway. The one downtown and the one at the mall can be a little... snotty.

I stopped going to Flaming Amy's last year for a variety of reasons. Sucks, too, because I did really like that place

Lovey's down at Landfall Center has a much bigger salad bar than Tidal Creek, and it's a bigger store for grocery items. I'm a member of both Tidal Creek and Lovey's, but I find myself at Lovey's more... they seem to have more of what I'm looking for, better variety, and better pricing on their bulk items generally.

A new restaurant is opening downtown - Marrakesh - I'm guessing it'll be open in the next month. Haven't seen a menu yet, but I'm imagining there will be a few options for us

Pita Delite has two locations in town and a few options - and the folks that work there are very accommodating to special requests.

Tandoori Bites, on College Road, is another Indian place with a growing fan club. They have a lunch buffet that is quite good. There's another Indian place, also on College, but I haven't tried them yet.

Thai Spice in Monkey Junction is a very small, family run Thai restaurant that has always been extremely accommodating for my special requests. They don't get a lot of traffic, and unfortunately will probably end up shutting down. Terrible location.

Don't forget, Whole Foods is opening up in a couple months by the mall. The Harris Teeter across the street from there is remodeling to be more competitive - both should have decent salad bars once it's all said and done. And the new Whole Foods (and soon to come Trader Joe's) SHOULD encourage more veg*n restaurant openings in the future.

We're still growing down here, and we have a long way to go, but it's getting better every year. Welcome back! You picked an excellent winter to return - it's been HEAVEN here lately!!!
#9 Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi MBM,

Thanks for the reply. I am very strict with my food choices, so I won't eat a veggie burger in a restaurant or french fries because of shared surfaces. That being said, my list is small, but I'm glad to hear other veggie possible places to eat. I have a friend that works at Double Happiness, and when I tried eating there, they were very accommodating. I also have a friend that works at Lovey's, but I've yet to make it over there (I'm pedal powered).

I did catch wind of Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I used to live two blocks from Flaming Amy's which would have put me central to these new stores, but now I'm in the Holly Tree area.

I'm wondering is Marrakesh is what my friend at India Mahal was talking about a while back, I bet it is.

I'm enjoying the weather, for sure, except for the bugs that think Northerns are exceptionally tasty and have selected to attack me more than anyone else.

#10 Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Beginner

I'm not in Wilmington, but I'm also not too far away in Jacksonville :)

#11 Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM

You're not alone!  I'm here in WIlmington also!  Of course by now you know we have both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (altough Trader Joe's is in a horrible location!). 

#12 Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Hello!  I am in Wilmington, too!

Just wanted to send a shout-out for Nick's Diner (downtown on Front St.).  They have a pretty good vegan/vegetarian menu.  Their hummus is ahhhhhhmazing.  Yumm-O!

And I really love Whole Foods, Lovey's, and Tidal Creek.  Life would be much more difficult without the 3 of them.  :)

So glad I found this thread!  :)

#13 Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 AM

I'm also in Wilmington! I hate hearing about Flaming Amy's...I loved that place.
#14 Old 03-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Unschooling Vegan Mama

I know this isn't that new, but I live about 45 minutes away from Wilmington.  There's actually a vegan group there that does all kinds of fun stuff :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page